Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Afrika Korps Fallschirmjager helmet?

Discussion in 'German WWII Uniforms and Equipment' started by Friedhelm, May 3, 2017.

1. Friedhelm

Friedhelm Member

Hi Guys, if seen some ugly DAK Helmets but never saw this one before. Could it be original? To be honest it looks good at fist impression. Decals etc are looking very good in great condition leather seems to be stamped but since i know that Fallschirmjager helmets are very rare and expensive i doubt the originality. Its a DD with flag shield and palm tree with swastika. Have you guys seen this before and are these also well known fakes or are we looking at an uber rare historical artifact?

Attached Files:

2. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Probably one of the worst copies I've ever seen! Shell is completely the wrong shape, decal was applied yesterday and the liner is obviously repro!

I've also never seen a palmtree decal on a genuine Fallschirmjäger helmet before.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Here's the real deal.

[​IMG]

In DAK color scheme:

[​IMG]

Here's one with the right side of the helmet in sight. Couldn't find one with the DAK logo on it.

[​IMG]

Friedhelm likes this.
  4. jagdpanther44

Some of the reproductions I've seen are very convincing indeed. The one in the link below is excellent, it has very good aging, a correct liner and the decals are spot on. I actually bought a lufty decal from the seller's website which I then applied to a repro Fallschirmjäger shell. It 'snugged' down on to helmet just like an original would and can't be felt when you run a finger over it.

M38 Fallschirmjäger (German Paratrooper) Helmet (Stahlhelm) Luftwaffe Africa Camo DAK Fallschirmjägerhelm

Friedhelm likes this.
  5. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

As John says, a complete fake ! One glance at the liner is enough.......

6. jagdpanther44

One giveaway with liners is the stitching. Some repros (but not all) will have zigzag stitching that joins the two pieces of leather together. Genuine liners were always stitched together from the opposite side which showed a much neater joint on the outside.

7. Friedhelm

Friedhelm Member

Thank you all for replying. I never really looked into these Fallschirmjager helmets. So my knowledge is very poor thanks for helping me out here I wasn't thinking about buying it just wanted your opinion to get some knowledge on the subject. I know see that the shell has a very ugly shape, and as mentioned by jagdpanther44 i couldn't find an example of a palmtree decal on the internet to. I have never actually see a normal Stahlhelm for sale with such a decal. So yes a real bad reproduction thanks for the information. In comparison to a regular german helmet how rare are these?

8. jagdpanther44

Genuine Fallschirmjäger helmets are much rarer than the standard stahlhelm. Prices are also a lot higher with untouched good condition examples selling for £4000+

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  9. Friedhelm

Friedhelm Member

Thanks, Do you have a Helmet yourself? If you do can you share it with us?

10. jagdpanther44

I don't have a genuine Fallschirmjäger helmet but I do have a repro one that I've repainted in Normandy camouflage colours and given it an aged look.
    I'm on holiday at the moment and will post photos of the helmet when I get home.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  11. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I confirm, the palmtree was not an official decal . It was more like nose art that was tolerated on some wehicles . I've sene these types of helmets before on Ebay.de they used to seel them for 79 euros and they came from Poland .