At the end of the Second World War, there were several hundred provisional cemeteries. 24 of which were in France laid out by the American Grave's Registration, an ancillary service of the U.S Army. About ten cemeteries were in Lower Normandy, Vierville, Colleville, Saint-Laurent, two at Saint-Mere-Eglise, Blosville, La Cambe, Orglandes, Mariguy, Saint-James and Le-Chene-Guerin. It was in 1947 that fourteen sites worldwide were chosen as permanent cemeteries for American soldiers. The choice of site bore reference to a glorious feat of arms nearby in the Second World War. For each of these an architect was to design a non-confessional chapel, a wall to commemorate the missing, a museum containing battle-maps and a visitor’s hall as well as a war memorial. In the same year, France and the United States governments signed an Agreement regarding the setting up of five permanent cemeteries in French soil. Between 1947 and 1954 the American Graves registration repatriated the bodies of 172,000 soldiers to the USA at the request of their families; 14,000 of these were from Normandy. In Lower-Normandy, two historic sites were decided on Colleville-sur-Mer at Omaha, the first of the Allied Landings in Northern Europe and at Saint-James in the Manche where at one time General Patton had his Command-post. a symbol of the Avranches Breakout. In 1956 the government of France granted to the United States rights of the lands in and around the cemeteries and monuments. The American Battle Monument Commission was created BY an act of Congress in March 1923. It is responsible for everything concerning monuments and memorials commemorating the American Armed Forces who fell in battle on foreign soil. This is an independent agency of the executive branch of the United Slates Government, although financed by the US Government. The Superintendent in charge of each cemetery is an American citizen. These two cemeteries are well organised to welcome visitors with personnel always available to give information and maintain supervision. They are the only cemeteries in Lower Normandy with definite visiting hours. Colleville in particular has a touristic element as shown by its large parking areas for cars and coaches. It is said to have nearly two million visitors a year. Droves of tourists arrive in coaches attracted by the way in which one nation has honoured its Fallen in the cause of Freedom. A large expanse around the Memorial has been left for ceremonies and parades beneath flags flying on very tall masts. The Commemoration is a striking reminder of one generation sacrificed for another.