Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Als Panzermann in Afrika und Italien 1942-45" Panzer Regiment 8 und schwere Panzer -Abt. 508".

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by James Stewart, Mar 31, 2020.

1. James Stewart

James Stewart Active Member

IMG_9318.JPG IMG_9319.JPG View attachment 33225 IMG_9321.JPG View attachment 33227 View attachment 33228 View attachment 33229 View attachment 33230 View attachment 33231 View attachment 33232 The basis for this book, the rich photographic record of Hans Becker an officer who served with this unit in North Africa and in Italy, this is again from Axel Urbanke's excellent publishing house.
    I have to say this book is one of my absolute favourites 100% no regrets on buying this book.
    Again a German / English text well supported by excellent clear diagrams and maps, wonderful photographs and a clear concise text, a seriously good book one which you would never ever regret spending time with, love it.
    For me the North African photos are the most interesting but this is just me and this said it does not in any way say the coverage of service in Italy is second rate, in fact far from it.
    The hardship spartan conditions are immediately evident, for those fighting in North Africa there was no easy time a hard uncomfortable life before and after a shot was fired.
    This firm has suppliers in the US and Canada, RZM I think carry their books, this one is just so damn good worth every cent.
    68 Euros on the receipt from Benedicte, perhaps not cheap but in terms of quality well worth it.

The Knights Cross holder in the first photo is an Oberleutnant Mildelbrath inspecting Italian positions. of interest around his neck a set of British Ross No.5 7x50 binoculars which he has picked up along the way.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  2. James Stewart

The detail on the MK II is so good for the reader, historian and modeler alike.
    The Big "Viking BV-222 photographed at Tobruk.
    Tiger turrets on the training ground at Paderborn.
    Italy, Rome, tanks in transport and under repair.
    Sadly the dirty side of the war re[risa;s for partisan attacks, often those shot just in the wrong place

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  3. James Stewart

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Sorry James, great photos but we did have a Major problem with the Publisher years back as they have the right to the photos and they said they will sue us. The less photos the better unles it is your book. Sorry about that.

James Stewart likes this.
  5. James Stewart

Kai , sorry will reduce the number to cover only.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Thank you James for not taking it the wrong way. Appreciate it!! Kph

7. James Stewart

Never a problem, can understand from both points of view. Js