Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Anzio Bob" Schreiber boasts more medals than Goering, May 1945

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Tipnring, May 15, 2020.

1. Tipnring

Tipnring Active Member

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    bronk7 likes this.
  2. wooley12

wooley12 Active Member

Nice read.

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

...27 months in action? is that correct? or was it 27 months deployed?
    ..some look like pins and not medals??
    and what's a '''cooler''?

4. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

Evaporative coolers use water and a fan to cool outside air and bring it into a building, requiring less electricity than air-conditioners.

In 1916, the Adams Hotel in downtown Phoenix tested an evaporative cooler, and they developed along with air-conditioners through the '20s and '30s. By 1940, nearly every Phoenix home had a cooler, about a decade before air-conditioners were standard.

Evaporative coolers struggle to cool homes in the extreme heat and humidity of July, August and September in the greater Phoenix area, so it was common for people to use air-conditioning then and rely on the coolers in milder months.

bronk7 and Tipnring like this.
  5. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..I went to Phoenix once--2000 something..they still have some type of a ''cooler''' ..I thought Phoenix had a lot less humidity than many other areas in those hot months? the place I went to had a ''cooler''

6. Class of '42

Class of '42 Active Member

Anzio Bob says he came across a British sailor who had a Grand Cross of the Knights Cross..I think he meant a Knights Cross of the Iron Cross...as the only Grand Cross I can recall was awarded to Göring in 1940. The original Grand Cross that was presented to Göring (personally by Adolf Hitler) was destroyed during an air raid in his Berlin home. Göring had extra copies made, one of them with a platinum frame which he was wearing at the time of his surrender to the allies in 1945.

Tipnring likes this.