Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Are Pistols Really Useless?

Discussion in 'Small Arms and Edged Weapons' started by bob007, Jul 26, 2010.

1. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

excuse me I'm sorry if my comment offended you and you hold your horses buddy I shoot guns lots of guns so I know whats what here I play games yes and airsoft yes but like I said before I also shoot thousands of rounds of live ammo any where from 9mm 40. 7.62x54r 223 12 gauge 20 gauge 410 22 mag 22 lr 30-06 32 special shall I go on I am not one of those lame o gamers who sits around the house all day and plays video games so I hate to say you are ignorant for your assumptions I don't like having to say it

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

These have been around for Centuries. On the older days, Highwaymen had them for when robbing coaches and such. They had a blade that was foldable and fit either to the side of the barrel or under it? I forget which? and after they fired their shot, they still had the blade handy as a defense weapon. I saw one of them recently shown on that Pawn Stars show.

3. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

And they still make them:
    [​IMG]
    ( KA-BAR Knives Pistol Bayonet Knife PB-1 with 2.75" Blade Quick Detachable - Knifecenter.com )

4. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Nice, another new toy to make gun cleaning to an dangerous hobby! LOL

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

6. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

formerjughead likes this.
  7. sf_cwo2

sf_cwo2 Member

If you can't recognize the error in your statement, my assertions are still very much accurate. Your being a gun owner makes flippant comments even more reckless. BTW a true gun owner would follow firearms safety rules and never point a weapon at another person unless he is a threat. That rules out playing airsoft and paintball. For the record, I have engaged in neither activity nor did I fire MILES blanks or Simmunition rounds in SF. Speaking of which-- in all your bragging you forgot to include your formidable combat record. You did serve, right?

8. formerjughead

Who else would make somethig like that?

9. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

lecturing me on firearms saftey rules I didn't say about pointing guns with live ammuntion at people I said I have been in combat simulations and no ya dumby I was not bragging I was simply trying to make a point even if you didn't understand my point overall I don't have a combat record cause I am not getting my butt blown off in the army because of a worthless government telling me what to do by the way this is not meant to offend you in any way

10. sf_cwo2

sf_cwo2 Member

Thank you for doing most of the work for me. Now people have a good idea of the bountiful wealth of knowledge you possess. I still highly recommend intro to reading comprehension... and maybe Ritalin.

11. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

uhuh my reading comprehension level was always higher than it would normally be for most people way higher now you are getting a little close to lighting a fuse and I suggest you don't want to do that now I understand that my first post on this thread wasn't exactly thought all the way through and I admit I just wrote that post without thinking first but seriously I do possess more gun knowledge than a normal person in fact I have to help alot of people to identify weapons guns are my field of expertise modern guns are my main field

12. formerjughead

You both need to step away from the keyboard and take some deep breaths; you guys are getting way too worked up and taking the discussion where it doesn't belong. Personal attacks are not a good way to make a point; even if they are formatted as constructive criticism.

My advice is for both of you to walk away before one or both of you cross a line and arouse the interest of the Mods.

Brad

lwd and USMCPrice like this.
  13. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

yeah you're right this is getting a little out of hand thanks

14. Musashi

Musashi Member

OK this is first hand information so read carefully, pistols ARE useless in combat, unless your talking about the 1300's or something in which the more guns you had (because of the time of reloading) the better. But pistols do not have the firepower, range, nor accuracy needed for a infantry soldier to carry out his normal duties. In closed spaces such as tunnels and between houses a pistol can be used, a 1911 in .45 ACP is preferred, but over that you want a 12 gauge, and over that you want a flamethrower, and over that you want a fully automatic low recoil 12 gauge (the AA12 hehe) so take it for what its worth, never willingly go into combat with a pistol. If your ever in combat (Lets pray not) then you will understand why its safer to be holding an AR15 or an SKS or 12 gauge than a 38 Spcl, or even a .45, except maybe a .44 magnum? or .357 magnum, I've seen some people who'd kick my ass with those kinds of pistols no matter what I had, just saying.

I had to add this, my grandfather always taught me the best gun to have in a fight is the one in your hand. =) makes sense to me.

15. lwd

lwd Ace

Pistols were extremly useful in combat up through the ACW. After that as this thread notes they still proved useful in some combat situations.

16. formerjughead

I think there is a psychological aspect to having a pistol in combat, not unlike a bayonet or samurai sword.

17. paratrooper506

paratrooper506 Member

having a pistol to back you up if your primary weapon jams is always a good thing regardless of what some people might think no one would feel comfortable carrying one weapon into combat cause what would happen if that one weapon jams on you

18. TacticalTank

TacticalTank Member

I belive that the pistol sidearm was a great idea and always will be a great idea. Like you mentioned if your rifle jams and your enemy rushes or bayonet attacks you have to trust your mates to get them however if you had a sidearm you could defend your self with you pistol which could and will actually be a life or death situation there for a pistol sidearm is a brilliant advantage and quite possibly a life saver.

19. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Yes, you´re never feeling naked! I would never have missed my H&K, a very helpful piece.