Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Aviation Art WW2

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by mott5ranch, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

God! I can't stop laughing!!! :D Martin, you GOT me on that one!!! ;)

Beside, I am not blond at all... my brother is. He's kind of a Brad Pitt (as anthipathic as well). I am the only brunette in the family... :(
    But who cares? I am an opera singer, I don't like films, I love audience and clapping. Beside, I have already too many admirors... :rolleyes:

2. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

By the way: most excellent pictures, thanks for sharing!!! ;)

And indeed, Erich is our Luftwaffe master around here! ;)

3. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

I'm picking up another one this week at the framer. Carl doesn't know about this one. It's called the Lobster Flight signed and numbered litho print with Galland and his wingman. I have to count cows this weekend so I'll touch base and hopefully post it on Sunday. Y'all have a great weekend. :D

4. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I know the one you speak of and Jerry told me the story that surrounds this painting some years ago. Have you seen the Ta 152 print I mentioned mott ? I am finally after 10 years of having this beautiful painting/going to get it framed ..... I am very slow at times this is a fact !

E

5. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

No I haven't Erich, but I would love to see it. Can you post pictures? Can you email me a picture?

6. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Sorry to say this but NO ! no scanner available at this time. two friends that have done scan work for me work for Allied intelligence and are not in the country for obvious reasons.
    Check Jerry's web-site that I posted earlier....

E

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Gary--you told Greg and I you found a print w/ the lobster tails--remember--it was when we were at Johnny Carinos.

Congrats on your Purple Heart :D and I have another nice 1914 Ek2 to rub in your and Gregs noses--the frane I think is .888 silver--though not marked. :D

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Gary--you told Greg and I you found a print w/ the lobster tails--remember--it was when we were at Johnny Carinos.

Congrats on your Purple Heart :D and I have another nice 1914 Ek2 to rub in your and Gregs noses--the frame I think is .888 silver--though not marked. :D

9. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl, I think a jewelled double plate cabinet with alot of glass is in order for you....just to show off your awards......maybe two or three of them are needed ! Geez nowhere to slepp now bud ;)
    I'll see if I can give particulars to you guys about the TA 152 print soon, as I was working close with Jerry on it for information. I must say besides having a kick painting the man is one research nut if I ever met one. His paintings just don't come out of the air/his head, he researches them in incredible detail before going to paper with the pencil for a fabrication drawing.
    Don't want to get way off topic but when I viewed his P-47 print to one of the 56th fighter group aces, he brought along his very detailed pencil drawing composite where we were able to sit down and talk aobut the details that went into just this drawing which he had for sale. Wow ! that's all I can say. The armor plates, the aluminum skin right down to the rivets for each plate plus the fine work associated with the engine, hoses in and out and even the fabric details in the wings, fuselage and tail......good grief !

E

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

That must be one heck of an experiance in seeing a masterwork of art in the makings!

Personally I would like to see him do more on the air war over the Eastern Front.

Is there any chance at him doing anything to do with ground combat? Don Stivers and Trioni both do modern now as they were mainly Civil War artists and among my all time favs--including Robert Taylor.

Well if my financial luck ever changes for the better--I plan on havig my own "war room". Included will be prints, and complete uniforms on mannequins. As it is now--that is a long way from becoming real--so ill stick with the cheaper aspects of collecting.

And thanks to Gary's idea of completing that medal grouping of a friend of his--I think im going to do the smae thing with all of my German stuff. Get a ribbon bar--and get the awards to go with them and possibly some award docs too. ;)

11. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Carl :

Jerry besides doing WW 2 avaition also has done many works on the old west, which in fact is his specialty. Back in 94 I tried talking to him about moving from Arizona to Oregon but they decided to move to Hamilton, Montana to enjoy the sage and old pines. They ahve a few horses, plus the price was right for the home and studio. He has never said much about painting the ground war as his only interests have been the aviation theaters with many interviews since 1969 of the vets. I can only figure if he would put his brush/airbrush to anything it would be grand !

E

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Rats----but then again--he does an excellent job with his aviation art. Since he does Wild West art too, I wonder if he might ever consider doing some Civil War art? or a Custers Last Stand--type of painting? It would be nice.....

13. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I think he would consider it if he had the time. Right now there has to be at least 10 books he is trying to have pinned down, two of them his own personal itmes. I really don't see him releasing anew print for another two years but who knows.... !

E

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Guys :

Back to the Ta 152 print by Jerry.

See it here at :

www.eagle-editions.com/jg301.htm

last serving in the Geschwader stab and flown by at least 15 plus pilots. In addition to the Crandall's brief surmise I would like to add the following.......
    Willi Reschke flew Grüne 1 but also 4 other a/c while in III. gruppe. He came into the Geschwader stab on 13 March 1945 and on the 14th of April shot down an RAF Tempest and 24 April shot down 2 Yak 9's.
    Walter Loos came from the Geschwader stab of JG 300 as a transfer and an excellent pilot. On 24 April 1945 he also shot down 2 Yak 9's near Berlin, it is his Grüne 4 today that sits in the Smithsonian in need of desperate repair.
    Grüne 3 flown by ace Josef "Jupp" Keil and he is noted as having a minumum of 5 kills in the Ta !
    Grüne 2 flown by Christoph "Bubi" Blum a former I./JG 302 pilot then flying the Bf 109G-6 against many US bombers.....I own # 79 out of 950 printed. A gorgeous painting !!!

E

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Just wait till Gary sees this one!

16. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I must also add that Jerry Crandall will be having several unseen pics of JG 301 a/c and profiles and many interviews he has made with pilots from this Geschwader for his book surrounding the mysterious a/c. Just wish he would get on it and get it done !!! Ohn the joys of publishing your own stuff......

E

17. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

Hello Guys, Here is a picture of my Crandall/Stuka print.
    [​IMG]

18. mott5ranch

mott5ranch Member

I just noticed I'm a green soldier with a purple heart! Who shot me?
    Time to call in the flying tigers!
    [​IMG]

This another one of my prints. Painted and made into prints by an actual Flying Tiger pilot.

19. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

So did you get a chance to see the Ta 152 print I was talking of ? Time to place that high altitude painting up in the top of your A-frame ranch house eh ? :D ;)

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Nice Stuka print! You got wounded 8 postings ago--still waiting for Greg to "get wounded" too. Also, I think you get that japanese "award" in another 22 postings--I think?

[ 23 September 2002, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]