Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

B-24 Gunner

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by rogish, Jan 31, 2010.

1. rogish

rogish Member

Thanks for getting the MARC. 'WANDERING WANDA' was tail # 42-95214. It seems that the crew may have simply posed for the photo in front of it since they didn't have a 'ride' of their own. The 'WANDERING WANDA' photo link suggests the aircraft they bailed out of was a brand new and unnamed B-24. In my original conversation, George Tater (waist gunner) said it was a new B-24H (is was actually a new B-24M), but at 87 years, I'll overlook the error.:)

He told me on a follow-up conversation that the name of the plane was 'Cute Queen'. He's promised me a crew photo, which as he described would look similar to the 'WANDERING WANDA' shot. Also, George is not pictured with 'WANDERING WANDA', though most of his crew is. Disregard: The article/photo contributor may have the dates wrong by specifying Apr 45, which is just before the bailout. Furthermore, George didn't even know a few of the guys in the photo (Co-Pilot, Bombardier, and one of the Gunners). Update: I don't know who I figured April '45 to come before March '45, but I'll revise my statement to read - The article/photo was taken in Apr '45, which is a month following the bailout. George is not listed, as it seems he may have separated from the service, or may have been reassigned to another crew (I'll ask him when next speak).

I'd love to know all of the minutia, but I'm just not comfortable pushing an 87 year old for details that are difficult for him to remember. I find that our conversations will jog his memory for follow-up calls, so I'll check in with him every now and then, hoping to put all of the pieces together.

As a side note, I discovered George Tater, because he was the best friend of Edward Goldner, my Step-Fathers Uncle. Edward Goldner was KIA 7 Nov 1944 in France as a member of 324th Infantry Regiment. I started researching Edward's service history in late Nov 2009, and learned that his best friend (George) married his sister after the war, and was still living. My Step-Father made the introduction over the phone, and I called George later that day.

Regards,
    Steve

2. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

Whoops, I put 44-50477 into google and got to Dan's page for WANDERING WANDA. I didn't pay enough attention that the s/n was referenced in Tom's info instead of the data block.

If you want to pursue getting a good copy of the MACR, the contact info can be found here:
    Air Force Historical Research Agency - FAQ Topic

3. rogish

rogish Member

Received the photo of George and his crew taken at March Field, CA; from left to right:

Front row (kneeling): George Tater (Armorer Gunner), Franklin Pepper (Flight Engineer), Kenneth Olsen (Tail Gunner)

Back row (standing): Wes Bartelt (Pilot), Unknown (Bombardier), William Carlson (Radio Operator), Nicelle (Navigator)

Not Pictured: James Provo (Nose Gunner), Russell Hughes (Gunner), Martin (Upper Gunner), and Unknown (Copilot).

The person in the jeep was not mentioned in the letter, possibly because George didn't notice him there. The photo I received is about 2"x3", and he's easy to miss. I'm returning his photo, along with the enlarged copy that you see attached, so it may be easier on his eyes.

Enjoy,
    Steve

Attached Files:

4. ajohnson0305

ajohnson0305 recruit

Hey guys i just found this thread through google. My grandfather just past away monday, september 3rd, 2012. He was the pilot of the 'Wandering Wanda' his name is Joseph Clement Somers. He passed away from pneumonia in both lungs. I have a picture of the entire crew but i have seen photos of him and my grandmother together in his uniform aswell as photos that i saw for the first time at his funeral yesterday of him and different crew members. Please reply to this post because i would love to learn more about my grandfather, he wouldnt tell me much other than one story about them being shot at over germany i believe and landing with only one engine running back in england. I know the crew used to meet in tennessee at a restaurant named 'The Old Mill' or something 'the mill' not 100% sure, would have to ask my grandmother because she went every year.

His co-pilot was Henry McKiney aka Hank, who died last year, I never met the man but heard lots about him from my grandmother.

Would love to hear from you guys and if there is anything that you all would like to know maybe i can help by asking my grandmother. Would love to write some sort of biography about my grandfather and include everyone from the crew.

Thanks guys and I hope to hear back from you soon.

Below is a photo of the plane 'Wandering Wanda' and the crew. My grandfather(pilot) is back row, far right. My grandmother could probably name off most of the people in the photo, I just need to ask her. This photo is definitely real, it hangs in my grandmothers house and has been for the past 20 years or so. My uncle did a ancestry search etc on my grandfather and can follow up and back this photo. I say this because i read somewhere that this plane was destroyed somewhere in the pacific theater but im not 100% sure if it was THIS plane or anther one, but i would like some help with that because I have also heard that this plane is in a museum in England, also not sure about this story either. Any sort of help would be wonderful with this.

Thanks again.

Attached Files: