Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

B-25 arrives at the National WWII Museum

Discussion in 'Aircraft' started by ATNelson, Jul 27, 2009.

Tags:
  1. ATNelson

ATNelson Member

SPGunner likes this.
  2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Unitl a few years ago, there was a B-25 Mitchell on static display at the entry to the airport here in Billings, Mt.. Unfortunately it got vandalized constantly over the years, and then kids started getting hurt climbing around on, under, in, and around it. The authorities first put it behind a chain-link fence, but the kids just defeated that and got hurt doing so. Eventually it was just removed from display, don't know what happened to it after that.

I didn't even know it was gone until somebody else mentioned the thing being missing, I don't fly out of Logan Airport anymore, and the airshows I go to up there are really accessed from the other end of the establishment, rather than the main gate. Wonder where it went?

3. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Clint,

Unfortunate story of the Mitchell's mistreatment... If those kids only knew the history of that priceless artifact. I'll see what I can find about its whereabouts :)

4. DaveBj

DaveBj Member

B-25 = one of my favorite WWII birds. Someone flew one of them onto a small grass airfield south of town when I was a kid. To fly it out, they taxied it to the very edge of the field, rope-tied the tail to a post, ran the engines up to full song, and cut the rope with an ax. Don't know if they really needed all that, but they thought they did.

DaveBj

5. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

There is a B-25 sitting in a hanger at the old municiple airport in Columbia, SC. It is now a light plane field. Next time I go up I will photograph it and post here.

GB

6. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Dave,

My thoughts as well.... I like this one

View attachment 6825

Mark

Attached Files:

7. SPGunner

SPGunner Member

Nice photos on Flickr.