Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Back from Normandy Visit (Videos)

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by MrRossCorbett, Nov 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MrRossCorbett

MrRossCorbett New Member

Hi everybody,

I recently returned from Normandy where I made a couple of videos whilst exploring the D-Day landing areas.

It was my first time to Normandy so it was very exciting to finally visit. Of course the trip was way too short, they always are, so I look forward to a return visit.

Here are the videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itjwAyoc2f4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YPbH0QjBhM

I hope they are of some interest to you and have a great weekend!

Regards,

Ross

James Stewart, pistol, McCabe and 3 others like this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Thank you very much for sharing these great videos. They are really well shot and the comments are enthousiastic and the quality fit for professionnal broadcasting. Also thank you for mentioning our Canadians friends and showing flags of other nations that took part in the landings.

3. MrRossCorbett

MrRossCorbett New Member

Hi Skipper, thank you for such kind comments. It was a great trip and I learned a lot about those who took part. An incredible event indeed.

4. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

fantastic!! much thanks....not too long not too short....John Steele hanging from the church--what a great story that is!... Pegasus Bridge--IMO one of the most amazing feats of flying and landing on target, at night, with gliders!!.... .
    that's not a Tiger?

5. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Ross, very well done and enjoyable video. Like the media as well as the commentary, with a little humor thrown in for good measure. One of the sights that amazed me is the width of Omaha Beach. Having never been to Normandy (one day) and only learning from what I read, text does not give the actual expanse of the beach justice. I can't imagine having to sprint with full kit over the beach under heavy fire.

6. MrRossCorbett

MrRossCorbett New Member

Hi bronk7 & KJ.

Thank you for the nice comments, very pleased indeed that you enjoyed watching.

Bronk7, Absolutely agree, how they landed so close is beyond me. An amazing story indeed.

KJ, I felt the same when stepping onto Omaha, I don't know how any of those brave men managed to get off the beach, it is a huge distance to cover under fire. Remarkable.

7. Kieran Bridge

Kieran Bridge Member

Very good videos, thanks for posting them.

Here's a little Pegasus connection that came up this past weekend. At our office Christmas party, I learned that one of the spouses who attended is the niece of Jim Wallwork DFM, pilot of the first glider that landed beside Pegasus Bridge. Jim lived near Vancouver for nearly 60 years before his death in 2013. There was a BBC show a couple of years ago that included an interview of him, and parts of it were filmed at the beach in White Rock, just south of Vancouver.

My father was at St. Lambert in the Falaise Gap from August 19 to 21, 1944, until, in his words, "the shooting and shelling stopped." Quite a coincidence that at one table, we had family connections to the very start and very end of the Battle of Normandy.

8. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

both Canadian?? then that is a big coincidense

9. MrRossCorbett

MrRossCorbett New Member

That's a great story Kieran.

10. James Stewart

James Stewart Active Member

Have seen and very much enjoyed your videos, refreshingly good and very well made, like being in the car with you.