Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battle for Luzon, Philippines

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by Philscout, Oct 5, 2008.

1. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

That’s what it looked like 90th some of the numbers-letters are faded. I’ve been searching-reading a lot . But I’ve come to believe that the 25th is the closest I can gather . Thank you

2. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Thank you so much for your reply . I’ve heard him talk about Guadalcanal- the Philippines and shooting at Japanese . I’ve had his Enlistment/Separation papers over a year .
    I got those from Family Tree a family history type website. I know he was wounded in action from a grenade exploding close to him. He had scared on the back of his head and neck .
    He was wounded April 13,1945 - then Honorably Discharged about 6 months later at the pleasure of the Government- something to that effect. I’ll check back tomorrow and be much more engaging- it’s getting late I better get some sleep. I want to Thank everyone that replied-Thank you so much ! I wasn’t quite sure anyone was still watching this thread . Thanx again see you in the morning G’night

3. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

I’ve found thru further reading and others here he was actually in the 25th Division- I don’t know if the 25th was formed from the 90th or 98th or if they all existed at the same time. As far as I could tell it says-Organization:90th or 98th , but the 25th was one of the Hawaiian Departments original Divisions . I’m still learning new things. “Tropic Lightning “ was the nickname of that Division. For a time Brig. General Lawton J. Collins was Commander
    Lightning Joe

4. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

The (Tough Hombres) Inactivated at Camp Shanks, N.Y. December 27, 1945

5. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

However I will take the info you have provided and due some further reading. Thank you

6. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Hi
    I think the 90th was a Division they put on his discharge papers for convenience- at least I’ve heard that they do this. Ha ha
    After he was wounded in action he was discharged at the convenience of the government. See ya Laterrr

7. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to what Takao suggested. You are correct though that in the discharge process, men were shorn of their divisional patch and were temporarily assigned to another unit for discharge process.

BTW, I read of some 99th Div. guys who were awaiting transport back to the US and no longer wore their 99th checkerboard patch. At some bar they overheard some off duty MPs talk about looting the duffel bags of some suckers who belonged to the 99th Div. Outside the bar the checkerboarders tenderly loved the off duty MPs. Can't say I blame them. Here they are fighting at the front, losing life, limb and buddies and going through the horrors of war and their stuff gets stolen by a rear echelon canteen commando/mofo. BTW, Audie Murphy starred in a b/w version of Stephen Crane's The Red Badge of Courage. There is a line where Audie the Young Soldier was supposed to confess to the Bill Mauldin (Joe & Willie fame) character (The Old Soldier or The Tall Soldier) that he was afraid. Audie refused to confess that he had fear to "that rear area ink slinger." A reference that Mauldin was a cartoonist and not a combat soldier. The line was rewritten on the spot to have the Mauldin character admit that he was afraid and the Young Soldier respond with, "Me too."

8. Takao

Takao Ace

Nope, the 90th Division was still in Europe, and did not return to the US until mid-December 1945.

Units of convenience were far more prevalent post-war. He was discharged while the war was still going on.

CurlySue likes this.
  9. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Hi ,Riter Good Story - gotta love it
    I remember watching those Movies with mom an dad - I remember Audie Murphy , I can see him in my mind’s eye right now- being tough .Good memories-Thanx
    You know as I do many months of research could go by and you’d never pick up a nugget like that on your own- - about the separation papers and the slapping on of any division at the time. I should have requested my Father’s
    (OMSF) and (OMPF) - not sure I got both correct there - - - but I’m truly engaged in my own research with every spare moment- the journey has been very enlightening- I’ve read a couple good books..and right now I’m watching War in the Pacific S2 E6 Battles of Leyte,Manilla,Luzon when certain Beach landings -Islands and relief divisions arriving are mentioned it’s like I’m in the crux of the whole thing- however with much more knowledge-emotion and true heartfelt feelings for those Men-Women of the US Armed Forces than I could’ve imagined. Tho I knew battle growing up as a child with two older brothers that invited all the kids over to play War on the weekends- - our plastic guns- our forts- - thro ing rocks like grenades - - got my bell rung real bad once with a good sized rock to the right temple- - I ran crying to the house- - but then right back at it - - I loved it . Hey I wanna Thank you for your replies- - and now I’ve talked to long- - again I’m taking a break, I’m sure there’s some cleaning and cooking I must get to. See ya Laterrrrr Buddy

10. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Hi - Riter
    I’ve been busy-reading-trying to download Father’s Separation paper- reading-reading-can’t download Sep. paper:File too Large- spent couple hours looking for an app to-downside File - ha ha -reading-looking- - reading- - Anyway ! Take a Look at my avatar
    Avatar is Separation paper - Ha ha haaa
    That’s what I’ve gotten done the past few days
    So I hope you can save the avatar- - Zoom in and get a look at it . See ya round my Friend

11. CurlySue

CurlySue Member

Takao - Hi
    What are Units of Convenience ?
    I know I said father was discharged at the convenience of the government—But that’s what was on his Separation papers - speaking of which- - look closer at my avatar- it’s his Separation papers . I tried for a few days to download them here but it said File too large .
    I tried to find a app to help me downsize and post- - didn’t happen . Anyway if you can some how zoom in - or- save the avatar you can see the discharge-separation papers . See you round , my Friend
    P.S. I saw -or- I read today- - don’t know if you or someone else said it - but - it was stated: the 90th FA served with the 25th ID and the 25th was an Original HQ’s Battalion of the Hawaiian Dept. of the Army and dad’s listed job was FA - Field Artillery . So if this is correct- I’ve got more reading to do- ha ha
    Talk later, Takao