Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bayonets ???

Discussion in 'Non-World War 2 History' started by Lone Wolf, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Still, what if you're out of ammo and you need a weapon for basic defense? What if you actually can sneak up on an enemy and take his gun? I say bayonets should remain in use until blasters are invented.

2. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If you're out of ammo then the time for basic defence has long passed it's more like the time for surrendering.

The bayonet is not a defensive weapon at all, if an enemy believes you're armed with only empty rifles and bayonets they'll just get close enough to be able to shoot or grenade you, to which a bayonet will have no effective reply.

In terms of sneaking up on someone and taking their weapons, it could happen if you consider killing an isolated straggler or sentry but in any other case you're going to die quickly. In any case in this instance you'll be using the bayonet as a knife, not on the end of a rifle.

The best comment I heard about bayonets was from a British Army publication in the mid-1990s describing them as "...the most over-rated and under-used..." weapon.

3. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    blaster,are you referring to the blaster weapon depicted in starwars...its a bad gun, the muzzle velocity is about the same as a paintball gun ,mebby 300 fps and it has a huge light signature...it would ruin your night vision for 6 hours and make you a target for every rifle ,mg and mortar crew within miles...you would be better off with a single shot .22 in a real life gunfight....btw ,what are you doing up at 1:45am on a school night,your gonna miss that yellow bus for sure come daylight....

4. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    How do you know he is in the same timezone as you?

5. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Star Wars, huh ...

Light-bayonets perhaps ?

:smok:

6. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    -roel, i assumed the posted time was his time local,sry blaster,my bad

7. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The time of mylast post on this topic was at about 8 PM.

8. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    poster,

8PM Blaster? I would have thought you'd have been in bed by then?
    Anyway, when is your Birthday, sometime in December? :lol:
    B.B.B.

9. Kaiser phpbb3

Kaiser phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    yea,even the instructor who taught us those drills in bmt told us that if it ever came to that point when ammunition is out,he would drop the rifle and run back to safety......

He who runs fights another day seems to be his philosophy

10. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Re: poster,

Don't you think you have patronized him enough by now?

Kaiser: it seems like a good philosophy for a conscript, unless you still believe in glorious death... ;)

11. Blaster

Blaster New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'm in bed by about 9PM, and my birthday is Jan. 23! Stop teasing me!

12. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    running to the rear when out of ammo makes sense sometimes but returning without your rifle is a big no no ..at least in the us infantry...btw iirc a turkish leut in ww1 told his ammoless platoons that they would throw rocks then fight with bayonetts...his resolve held the high ground that afternoon (till more troops and bullets arrived ) at gallopli (day one i belive)...the anzaks never did take those heights and paid most dearly ever after

13. Kaiser phpbb3

Kaiser phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Well then,i generally believe that the turks won because the technological edge wasn't too great.Imagine the turks,or even the americans in this time and age to do that.....i think their resolve will make for one of the easiest battle of all time.

Of course ,even losing a firing pin of the rifle in the Singapore Army lands you 7 years in detention...at least.

Anyway...conscripts?it's quite a distasteful term at least to me.

14. merlin phpbb3

merlin phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    post subject

Good lad Blaster, you'll do, see, L.W.Roel Blaster knew he was being teased not patronised.The UK spike bayonet Mk4? I believe, was cruciform shaped and very collectable and expensive.
    A British soldier recently led a bayonet charge in Iraq, I believe he got an award, I remember the drill, 'In ', Out', on guard., no problem sticking a spike in a straw bag, bit different I would imagine if there was a bloody big Kraut coming at you with a Mauser butcher bayonet.
    Once again, "Good Lad Blaster" you'll do.

15. dave phpbb3

dave phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Re: post subject

Ah the good old spike bayonets for the No.4 but if you want intimidation, its the Pattern 1907 bayonet for the No.1 Mk.III (SMLE) you wants with a 16 inch blade

16. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Don't be too sure. This account comes from my era rather than present day however having met many present day Marines and read of their combat in Iraq I don't think they are less than the Marines of my day.

Gunny Howard was awarded the Medal of Honor and his 18 men unit who withstood pepeated assaults by an NVA battalion size force became the most highly decorated unit in American military history with :
    1 MOH
    4 Navy Crosses (2nd highest award)
    13 Silver stars (3 highest award)
    and 18 Purple Hearts (awarded for wounds received)

17. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

via TanksinWW2
    This British News Report makes interesting reading -

OUTNUMBERED British soldiers killed 35 Iraqi attackers in the Army’s first bayonet charge since the Falklands War 22 years ago.
    The fearless Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders stormed rebel positions after being ambushed and pinned down.

Despite being outnumbered five to one, they suffered only three minor wounds in the hand-to-hand fighting near the city of Amara.

The battle erupted after Land Rovers carrying 20 Argylls came under attack on a highway.

After radioing for back-up, they fixed bayonets and charged at 100 rebels using tactics learned in drills.

When the fighting ended bodies lay all over the highway — and more were floating in a nearby river. Nine rebels were captured.

An Army spokesman said: “This was an intense engagement.”

The last bayonet charge was by the Scots Guards and the Paras against Argentinian positions.

18. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My apologies, I had understood that you were in fact a drafted soldier, not a professional? Or would you not like to be called a conscript regardless?

Merlin: I was talking to majorwoody10 as well as you. What does L.W. mean?

19. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf New Member

via TanksinWW2
  20. McRis

McRis New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If i recall well the bayonet #305 was used extensively by the first Freikorps in Germany. It was abandonned soon, however, as it was considered very brutal...