Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

BBC documentaries on WW2

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by DogFather, Apr 1, 2013.

1. DogFather

DogFather Member

The Internet allows me to watch docs from Great Britain, along with the ones that are made in the US. They seem pretty much the
    same (ie told from the same point of view). Were they made for an American audience, or is the thinking in the UK just that similar?

You can find docs from the Japanese point of view, which are different. I realize we were allies. Which is not the case with the Japanese.
    So, I'm just wondering.

2. scipio

scipio Member

Interesting point which I had not appreciated.

Can you give us some examples so that we can see what you mean?

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

I'm with Scipio...We can see your point better if you give us a few examples...Although I agree in recent years..there has been some dumbing down in the UK media on most subjects...Thats not an insult to Americans its more an insult to Brits. Does that sound right..No offence meant...

4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

The answer might be a little of both. We (UK/USA) have a similar, though not exact, experience of the war after December 1941 and certainly any film producer is mindful of who there audience is likely to be.

5. DogFather

DogFather Member

I will have to work on specific examples. It was just something I noticed. And I did not document any particular example.

6. Tamino

Tamino Doc - The Deplorable

BBC is impartial public service broadcasting in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man. It is worldwide acknowledged as an indepedent source of information.
    So, you may assume BBC as suitable source for America too.

7. Karjala

Karjala Don Quijote

Have a great respect on the quality of the information given by the BBC. However it's programs are made by the British individuals living in the British culture with the British background and upbringing. It's programs will always reflect to some extent the world of it's employees - even when they want to avoid it.

One just needs to keep in mind that ALL information is somewhat biased - more or less.

urqh likes this.
  8. Vitesse

Vitesse Member

Public service broadcaster - yes. Impartial - not so much, I'm afraid. Anything which doesn't fit a left-liberal agenda is unlikely to get made. Which sometimes gets in the way of the truth.

The best BBC broadcasting is without doubt up there with the best in the world. Some of it is - unfortunately - dross. Some of it is - regrettably - downright biased.

Having said that, it should also be borne in mind that much BBC product now comes from outside producers. They also do a lot of co-productions with other public service broadcasters like WGBH Boston and other PBS affiliates, CBC of Canada and ABC of Australia. Enough said?

9. DogFather

DogFather Member

Here is an example. CONVOY: WAR FOR THE ATLANTIC is by NatGeotv.com/UK (clearly a British Doc). It has pretty much the same views as The U-Boat War
    1 / 3: Sea Wolves. The U-Boat doc has American historians commenting throughout the program. People like Ed Beach, who served in the US Navy. The similarities are numerous. CNO King was a problem and anti-British advice at the start of the war. Aircraft were the best defense against the U-Boats in the
    Atlantic. The MAC was pioneered by the Brits and the US improved on the idea with the CVE. Hunter-Killer CVEs going after the Milk Cows, is what really
    put an end to the U-Boat threat in the Atlantic. I really didn't see any disagreement in the two docs. So, this is one example.