Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Best model type for beginners?

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by SpiceAndWolf, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Now that is great. Didn't know about them. Even though they are a bit pricey, I'm definitely going to give them a try.

2. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Thought I'd do a 1/76 scale of an LCT from Accurate Armour for my brother who served on one. didn't look too difficult until I opened it.
    After buying a set of razor saws, special files, epoxy, paint, etc, etc , I spent the next month of my spare time in assembly. Turned out so good I built a wood platform with 1/8th inch grooves and had my glazer brother build a glass case that fit into the slots. I've never seen a model that was cast with such detail. Nothing clicked in place so had to use tweezer and hold the pieces until the epoxy set.
    Sadly, my brother only enjoyed it for about a month before he died.

I'm ready to take on an M5A1 light tank when I can find a good one. Any suggestions who makes a good kit?

http://www.accurate-armour.com/Graphics/S18g.jpg

von Poop likes this.
  3. Dave55

Dave55 Member

Beautiful. Sorry to hear about your brother passing though.

Please post more pictures.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Buten...nice story...With the "glue" it can make it easier if you put the glue on first and let it begin to set "before" you put the ajoining piece to it...no need to hold in place.

5. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

AFV Club's 1/35 M5a1 was well reviewed, but I haven't actually made it so I can't offer much more than that. Though if you're a resin type I'm guessing you fancy something rather more advanced!
    (Don't accurate armour do a conversion kit for the old Tamiya?)

Echoing Dave's commiserations about your brother, and that LCT is remarkable work.
    I'd no idea AA did one.

This sodding thread's making me feel like digging out the Airbrush for the first time in years.
    Need glue... but every local model shop that sold anything decent has closed. Thank god for the Internet.

6. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Thanks guys, I tried to post a picture of the finished product but it was too large-Gotta wait for my grandson for a lesson.
    His boat was LCT 221 named " son of a beach" . I was able to locate vinyl numbers and letters that matched the pictures of WWII landing craft and personalized it. It's difficult to believe a crew of 12 could live in a 13x30 foot crew quarters for 30 months through four invasions and still be good buddies throughout life.
    I'll check out the AFV model (l only picked the AA kit because I didn't know better)

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I'll echo the sentiment of the others. Nice build, sorry for your loss.

8. belasar

belasar Court Jester

My first build wasn't military, but a classic from the monster movies, Frankenstein. Really wanted Dracula who was way cooler but it was him or the Wolfman.

Lord did I just age myself on that one.

9. Buten42

Buten42 Member

10. Owen

Owen O

11. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Thanks Owen, For me, computers is a very steep learning curve.

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I think I first did a couple of Stukas, a Hurricane, and then a panther tank. Stug might be easy if you think there are not many "pointy" objects, I think, and it is quite low. I have a Big "Ferdinand" waiting to be built.... ;)

13. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Not a model builder (don't have the dexterity or patience), but I enjoy looking at what others have done. Nice work..

Buten, sorry about your brother. That's really tough.

14. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Thanks Russ, he was a wonderful man and great brother. He was the oldest of 11 and I the youngest. His oldest son and I are two years apart--we both ended up pipefitters.
    Regarding the model, it was the only decent LCT (5) I could find, and like a babe in the woods, I had no idea what I was getting into.
    As it was taking shape I could see what a great model Accurate Armor made-- all I needed to do is not screw it up.
    It had too many delicate things that could be easily broken, therefore, the glass

15. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

in high school, my gang wasn't all that well off and we agreed to stay at 1/72 scale for all our aircraft assemblies. we even split up nationalities to maximize the number. mine were the german war planes. i miss matchbox and airfix.