Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Best Wartime Fiction

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Elinor Florence, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The book, The Caine Mutiny, was very good. The movie only concerned a small part of the book and I thought it was karma what happened to Keefer (Fred McMurray's character) after the trial when they went back to sea. Also, the book details more of the command issues with Captain Queeg. Also, in the book, Queeg was considerably younger than what was portrayed by the 50+ Bogart.

I also enjoyed the Brotherhood of War series by WEB Griffith. I starts out in WWII and eventually ends up in the 1970s. Portions of some of the series takes place in Alabama at Fort Rucker and surrounding towns, so that interests me also.

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

The Caine Mutiny...one of first books I ever read...in one go...Some excellent reads on the original list too.

3. Steve Anderson

Steve Anderson New Member

Just discovered this as I'm new here. Good list, with great vintage covers. There's always more to mention, but one that has stuck with me is A Midnight Clear (1982) by William Wharton, a vet—also made into a decent movie. Recently I read a not-so-obvious choice, the lost classic The Gallery (1947) by John Horne Burns, about troubled soldiers and occupied locals behind the lines in Italy and North Africa. No combat to speak of, but it really puts you into the period mindset with all its horrors.