Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Best World War II Films

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by JCFalkenbergIII, May 26, 2008.

Tags:
  1. skunk works

skunk works Ace

What about "Lion of the Desert" ?
    quote from "We do not kill prisoners."... "They do it to us?"..."They are not our teachers!"

It's difficult to pick a best when so many are good.
    It depends on what your definition of "good" is (Bill Clinton)
    War in general to include from "Quest for fire" - "Buck Rodgers"
    Since it's all pretty much the same ... struggle?

Human aspect?
    Technical correctness?
    Historical correctness?
    Best special effects?
    Most big name actors? (pretty women)

It does depend on what you yourself can relate to, at the time you see it, and if for whatever reason whether or not it is available to you.
    Kind of like why you remember certain songs, and how they take you to a certain place & time, good or bad.

2. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

You are correct. There is definately a difference between a pretty but silly movie and a movie which has been made on a lower budget but is far more accurate. :D Enemy at the Gates vs Come and See are perfect examples. One made on a huge budget and with fantastic costumes vs the one with less cinematography but with more historical accuracy.

I think its safe to assume that certain movies were picked based on popularity and familiarity to the readers and not historical accuracy. Since the magazine doing the survey is purely an Entertainment magazine published in the U.S. and not a study bent on informing the readers based on research and historical accuracy, I think it is only logical that mostly American movies are picked? Afterall, Hollywood movies are very pretty and language barriers are almost certain reasons for not making the cut.

Also I wonder why the Pionist and Schindler's List did not make the cut?

3. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

4. skunk works

skunk works Ace

I found "Farewell to the King" very good as well. Overlooked as another side of a nasty time, and a way to deal with it, even while being overwhelmed by events.

5. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you Jeff, that's it! ;-)) Now where in the heck did I get :rofl: The North Star, from? :lol:

Not bad for becoming a movie star-after your first movie.

6. Richard

Richard Expert

Go and take a hike. :mad:

Not all Germans were party members and fanatical Nazis, give me a break.

Well the hell is STALINGRAD in that list?
    More to the point where the hell is DOWNFALL as well?

7. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

9. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Here ya go :).

Overview
    The film stars Michael Crawford as bungling British Army Officer Lieutenant Earnest Goodbody, with John Lennon (Musketeer Gripweed), Jack MacGowran (Musketeer Juniper) Roy Kinnear (Musketeer Clapper) and Lee Montague (Sergeant Transom) as soldiers under his command. The film uses an inconsistent variety of styles — vignette, straight–to–camera, and, extensively, parody of the war film genre, docu-drama, and popular war literature — to tell the story of 3rd Troop, the 4th Musketeers (a fictional regiment reminiscent of the Royal Fusiliers) and their misadventures in the Second World War. This is told in the comic/absurdist vein throughout, a central plot being the setting-up of an “Advanced Area Cricket Pitch” behind enemy lines in Tunisia, but it is all broadly based on the landings in North Africa in 1942 to the advance on the Rhine following Arnhem.

[edit] Principal Character and Plot

The main character, Lieutenant Goodbody, is an inept, idealistic, naïve, and almost relentlessly jingoistic wartime–commissioned (not regular) officer. One of the main subversive themes in the film must be the platoon’s repeated attempts or temptations to kill or otherwise rid themselves of their complete liability of a commander. In fact, with dead-weight heavy ironics, while Lieutenant Goodbody’s ineptitude and attempts at derring-do lead to the gradual demise of his entire unit, Goodbody survives, together with one of his charges who finishes the film confined to psychiatric care and the unit’s persistent deserter. In a heavy macabre device, each deceased soldier is replaced by a silent, ghostly figure in complete period uniform whose face is obscured by netting, and whose uniform from head to toe is brightly coloured red / green / orange etc.

[edit] Narrative and Themes

Goodbody narrates the film retrospectively, more or less, while in conversation with his German officer captor, 'Odlebog', at the Rhine bridgehead in 1945. From their duologue emerges another key source of subversion — the two officers are in fact united in their class attitudes and officer-status contempt for (and ignorance of) their men. While they admit that the question of the massacre of Jews might divide them, they equally admit that it is not of prime concern to either of them. Goodbody’s jingoistic patriotism finally relents when he accepts his German counterpart’s accusation of being, in principle, a Fascist. They then resolve to settle their disagreements on a commercial basis (Odlebog proposes selling Goodbody the last intact bridge over the Rhine), (in the novel this is identified as Remegen) which could be construed as a satire on unethical business practices and Capitalism. This sequence also appears in the novel. Fascism amongst the British is previously mentioned when Gripweed (Lennon's character) is revealed to be a former follower of Oswald Mosley and the British Union of Fascists, though Colonel Grapple (played by Michael Hordern) sees nothing for Gripweed to be embarrassed about, stressing that "Fascism is something you grow out of".

How I Won the War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. Falcon Jun

Falcon Jun Ace

I have to politely disagree that Casablanca shouldn't be on the list I agree it's a love story but the background is about World War II. Not everything in that happened in the war is about soldiers. There were refugees, too. And that is why I think Casablanca fits the bill. Maybe I'm biased about this film because it's one of my favorites.
    Though I am disappointed that Longest Day nor Tora, Tora Tora didn't make the author's list, he did admit that his list was a subjective one. Since he included Casablanca and Enemy at the Gates, I think one of his criteria is entertainment value. It seems historical accuracy was not a high priority for him. Still, his list is a good listing of very watchable movies.

Jack B likes this.
  11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Thank you JC ;-)) I might give this one a try at some point. ;-))

12. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

My pleasure. I need to pick it up on DVD for my collection.

13. Doxie

Doxie Member

Reminds me of a quote of the Marquess of Salisbury. He was speaking of the RAF's area bombing of German cities...

"Of course the Germans started it, but we do not take the devil for our example."

My favorite war movies are probably Saving Private Ryan and Zulu. A Bridge Too Far is also very well done.

I dont like most war movies... If Band of Brothers counts it definitely deserves a mention.

14. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

No comprehensive list of WW2 movies can be complete without the inclusion of "Wake" and "Battle Cry"

15. Lias_Co_Pilot

Lias_Co_Pilot Member

I think a must see WW2 movie is Battle of Britain. I'm not going to pretend to be a be all end all tower of WW2 knowledge, but the movie depicts how the battle of the skies over England wore on the pilots who fought this battle. If I was to teach a world history class, this movie would be in the curriculum along with Tora Tora Tora, Sink the Bismarck, The Longest Day, and Patton.

Another movie in the World History curriculum would be the post WW2 movie The Big Lift. The movie realistically depicts bombed out Berlin and the new uneasy alliance between residents of Berlin and US soldiers and airmen who are flying in the city's lifeblood of supplies.

An excellent Sunday afternoon, it's cold and wet outside, movie is Where Eagles Dare. I can't begin to imagine it's realistic, but the script is crisp and intelligent. There are stand out performances from Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton, and the tramway hopping sequence is excellent action drama.

Another movie of this caliber is Force Ten From Navarone. This movie came out the summer after the surprise hit Star Wars (Episode Four). Harrison Ford starred in both movies and catapaulted Harrison to a string of leading man roles. Not realistic, but like the above movie it has a superb scipt and great performances from leading actors Ford and Robert Shaw.

Kelly's Heroes is great in the respect that the person in charge of the movie's logistics pulled off a heroic feat. Whereas Patton put together excellent battle sequences with wrong period tanks, Kelly's Heroes put together authentic period vehicles, like tanks, trucks, and amphibious trucks. The Vietnam War dialogue takes away from the movie's credibility making this a guilty pleasure intead of a WW2 must see.

texson66 likes this.
  16. socioanthroman

socioanthroman Member

What about the Movies; Cross of Iron, the Russian films: Liberation, and They Fought for their Motherland. All are my fav.

17. socioanthroman

socioanthroman Member

A Bridge to Far?

Jack B likes this.
  18. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I'd like to add "Hell is For Heroes" to the list. It is a little known and much forgotten production. For an older movie (made in the early 60s I believe), it was very graphic for it's time, and well made. Steve McQueen really carried this movie as the war-weary veteran who excelled on the line but couldn't hack it in the rear areas.

19. Hufflepuff

Hufflepuff Semi-Frightening Mountain Goat

This movie is excellent!!

A-58 likes this.
  20. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I like that way you think....