Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bismarck

Discussion in 'Sacred Cows and Dead Horses' started by T. A. Gardner, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

Actually, I do know. I know exactly what damage Prince of Wales gave Bismark and also took. I know why PoW had gunnery malfunctions and what they were. I also know that the Germans were more interested in escaping further action as Bismark was not in pristine shape any more either.
    As for actually breaking contact, the Germans only managed that for short periods as there were several British cruisers shadowing them that had radar.

That is the totality of the damage PoW took during the Denmark Straight fight. Captain Leech broke off the action due in part to the balky guns and in part to his fuel situation.

From the following article I wrote:

Military History Online - Capital Ship Surface Actions World War II

2. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Not to mention the PoW still had shipyard workers aboard trying to get things in shape, to give you and idea of the PoW's relative state of readiness.

3. lwd

lwd Ace

It's also worth noteing that PoW did reengage Bismarck and may have straddled her at over 30,000 yards before ordered to break off again.

4. ickysdad

ickysdad Member

Also remember that POW's Cpt Leech was ordered to break off engagement.

5. lwd

lwd Ace

From what I recall reading twice. Once by the admiral on the cruisers and the second time directly from the Admiralty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.