Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Book: SOLDAT, By: Siegfried Knappe.

Discussion in 'ETO, MTO and the Eastern Front' started by C.Evans, Jun 20, 2001.

1. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Welcome aboard mate! Its nice to see that you also read "Shooting the War" among other great books. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I met all the survivors of U 181, which Giese was second watch officer on.

Did you know that at least 4 Knights Cross Recipients served on that Uboat at the same time! There were also a few more KC Recipients on that Uboat but at other times.

As soon as things can be ncoordinated between Otto and myself, there will be a nice section on this site with many photos of U 181 and crewmembers. I also will have service records and other info as I get it from the vets.

Anyway, I hope to see you here often and glad you like the site too. Take care--Carl. ;) [​IMG]

2. talleyrand

talleyrand Member

Most accounts from non-expert witnesses contain errors. I give Sajer's story the benefit of the doubt, an honest attempt to put memories to paper. In combat, any tank shooting at you looks like a Konigstiger. [​IMG]
    (Sgt Wiener is my Hero) [​IMG]
    A true story, a coworker of mine, after being fired upon, stated that the assailants weapon was a 12 gauge. Only a .22 rifle was found at the scene, later proved to be the suspects weapon. :D
    "If its pointed at YOU it looks damn big"

3. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Ha ha ha, thanks for the needed levity. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :cool: