Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Bracelet of Col Wolverton, CO 3rd/506th PIR Found in Normandy

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Slipdigit, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Biak likes this.
  2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I would have sat there for a good long while !

For the impatient;

"On the beaches of Normandy, the bracelet of a D-Day hero has been found, allowing you to immerse yourself in a part of history. On the bracelet is his nickname, Bull, but also his initials: WLR which means Wolverton Lee Robert. With this jewel, it is a part of history that reappears. That of Colonel Wolverton, an American paratrooper killed on the night of June 6, 1944. 78 years later, his bracelet pierced by a bullet has just been found. Sylvain came across it by chance in a field in Saint-Côme-du-Mont (Calvados) last April. "I was pulling a stump with colleagues (...) and this appeared while pulling the stump", he says. "A piece of history in the palm of your hand" Former paratrooper himself and collector of the Second World War, he immediately perceived the inestimable value of the jewel. "We can find anything and everything (...) but a personal bracelet from someone who jumped in Normandy on June 6, we will only find one", assures Sylvain. At the D-Day experience museum, a statue bearing the effigy of Colonel Wolverton was already enthroned. The bracelet becomes a centerpiece. "We were very moved with my partner, we sat down and then we contemplated the bracelet for a few minutes, saying to ourselves: there, we have a piece of history in the palm of our hand", says Emmanuel Allain. "