Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Chevrons,which style?

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by chibobber, Mar 5, 2011.

1. chibobber

chibobber Member

Still working on putting together my fathers Ike.I need to know which T-5 chevrons would be correct.I've seen the blue with silver embroidered kind and the blue and green melton wool sewn kind.What would be correct for late war and occupation wear. were the wool ones AAF only?
    Thanks all
    Bob

2. 69dodgechrgr

69dodgechrgr Member

As far as I know there were only two types of T/5 stripes officially issued. The OD green thread embroidered on black wool and the silver-gold thread embroidered on black twill. All others were not issued but were available as private purchase items. The jacket I am putting together for my grandfather came with OD wool on black wool T/5 stripes already sewn on it. They're not the officially issued stripes but they look sharp so I'm going to leave them. Hope this helps.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

4. chibobber

chibobber Member

Thanks guys,I think the silver gold on black twill is the way to go.It is what I see most on Ikes during occupation.The Ike is coming together nicely.I have been able to scrape the period correct pieces together.I even have a nice green back 1st division patch and am using his original multi cord French Fourrgere and his EAME w/Arrowhead and 5 stars.
    All the badges are sterling pin back.Waiting on a ruptured duck,overseas bars and a service bar.Even ordered a torso today to disply it.I wonder sometimes why I waited so long to do this.
    Thanks again,Bob