Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

China Destroys Satellite With Missile ...

Discussion in 'Non-World War 2 History' started by Lone Wolf, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'm not sure what you are getting at. Is it because we(the west) are
    not producing cheap consumer goods but instead are relying on the Chinese who can make it cheaper? If so, I don't think we need to worry yet. Some industries are so important to our security that we need to not become too reliant on foreign suppliers but frankly it makes more sense to have low cost consumer goods manufactured in a society with low labor costs. We benefit and China benefits as well.

2. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I don't know if it has a point if I reply here, since you ignored everything in my previous post, but I seriously would like to know why you think China is a threat. Even in the days of Mao the country was never expansionist beyond East Asia itself; right now they could hardly be considered any more agressive than, for example, America's loyal ally Japan. Not to mention the US itself.

Modern China is part of the world economic system and depends on it. They cannot afford to disrupt it by starting a war, even if they had any reason to do so, which they really don't.

Besides, even if China was still anything like its Maoist past (which it isn't, it's not even Communist anymore), like you pointed out yourself, most of Mao's "bloodlust" was aimed at his own people. Also, "Mouse eat dung" is a very bad pun. :D

I grow weary of the patronizing tone emphasizing the fact that your opponents in a debate are younger than you are, as if that would somehow impede their ability to separate fact from fiction and reality from ideals. Quite simply put, I know the death toll of Mao's regime and I know it was his mad ideals and totalitarian ways that caused all those deaths. They are no abstraction to me. However, in your view it seems as if China froze solid during the Cultural Revolution and has not changed a bit since then. This makes no sense whatsoever.

3. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2
    grieg , I believe that an industrial base is the basic muscle of a nation , the destruction thereof an act of suicidal folly .

I agree totaly with roel , china has been rather circunspect about foreign involvement in far off places in the past , present and forseable future.

a good word for mao tzeu dong
    The guy is a legend
    - from a bunch of ragged survivors at the edge of the map , he paraded in beijing fifteen years later , helped by no one's , certainly NOT by stalin .
    -he dragged china to the status of great power and of modern state
    -industrialised it and for once in the history of the land kept corruption to a minimum
    -fed one billion people might seem simple but he did it
    -stopped a runnaway demographic
    -by communist standard ,or even chinese ones , he did it on the cheap
    a few dozen of millions ,
    - he had a great sense of humor , could come back better than lazarus and totally deserve his gilded carcass in tien ha mien square

The repression of the students was not seen by the leadership as an hysterical lashing out but as a great big foot stepping down ,
    a regretable nescessity ,
    the following repression was, by previous standards , very mild .
    china could not afford to turn into the pathetic wreck that russia was to become. futur will tell but the leadership has performed rather well so far ,
    they believe democracy should come after the bowl of rice not before .

4. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    jeag , when you say stoped a runaway demographic ,do you mean that the killing of millions of ordinary innocent chinese people was a good thing ?...it almost sounds like that is what your trying to say.....kinda like hitler stopped a runaway demographic of polish jews ?or stalin with way too many kulaks and cossacks and ukrainians ...i see your point ..too many people, time to clean house...

5. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2

Woody I was refering to the one child policy for han chinese , the large majority , minorities were ( are ) allowed two .
    a massively unpopular measure , it made sure that china was not eaten by its children .
    certainely no elected government could have seen it through ,
    india initiated "voluntary" sterilisation under indira ghandi with virtually no effects ,

6. smeghead phpbb3

smeghead phpbb3 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yes, an interesting article on that subject was in TIME recently...

China's one child policy has produced somewhat unexpected consequences... Since every family is allowed one child and one child only, everybody want's a son... Make the father proud of his boy etc. etc. The problem is, many families get daughters, and given the relative lack of law in 1980's rural China, some parents (actually alot of parents) took matters into their own hands... They GOT a boy, whatever the cost... I'd rather not ask...
    Now China has 25 million more men than women... In a few decades we might see the population decline (lessening the likelihood that they will come to Australia looking for lebensraum, phew)

7. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2

The funny thing is that australian-chinese are pretty much integrated ,
    the mainlanders call the aussie chinese " bananas " ,yellow on the outside , white on the inside.
    I'm easy about the slopeheads they are cool and love to gamble and probably would fight like tigers to keep country bumkins mainlanders out of spoiling the good life of the "golden mountain"
    the only thing dangerous about them is the chinese eldery ladies driving mercedes benz ,
    they are the absolute worst , real mass destruction weapons let loose

8. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    sorry ,jeag ...i thought you ment maos effect on the death rate in china ,not the birth rate...btw jeag , you should be aware that the words slope ,slopehead, gook and chinaman carrie the same ethnic slur weight to asians ,as the infamous "N" word does for black folks ...at least this is true in north america ,just a word to the wise ,for your own future benifit...

9. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2

in sydney working class milieu , gross insults are a form of endearment ,
    the ultimate insult is to ignore somebody ,
    it means that one's doesn't want to have anything to do with someone .
    at my place of work , the local electrical god ( distribution high voltage ) is a chinese engineer ,
    also a consulting expert to the hong kong power autority ,
    he get it , like everybody else , and give it back with gutso !!

disrespect is not contempt :)

10. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    when i was in 8th grade ,my dad got quarters on the presidio of san francisco ,very nice for my parents ,the most requested posting in the us army ...however i found myself bus riding to a sf public school that was mostly chinese in student body make up , i found myseif in a racial minority for the first time in my life.......i knew that words like gook ,chink and slope were not advised ...but even the innocuous sounding chinaman would result in instant fisticuffs ,being mostly raised in dod army post schools i was accustomed to marcus of queensbury rules ,you know one on one ,no kicking a down man ,no weapons ect ....in this school i learned that inner city rules applied...and never ever to get in a fight with a joeboy (CHINESE KID) as there was never ever such a thing as one chinese in a fight..( they would literally appear out of the walls in 2s and 4s like magic , most unnerveing... ).......now im a white man and if colored people were to call me a cracker or honkey or redneck i would be mildly amused and not angry ,this does not mean i can with impunity use ethnic slurs myself...in america ,at least ,one must be careful what one says out loud...and jeag, whatever might be kosher to say at your place of work ,remember this forum is read by americans too and let me assure you that any asian americans might well react with extreme outrage and indignation that will be very unpleasant for you ....and they wont give a fig about what the chief engineer at your job thinks....belive me...

11. Revere

Revere New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Q. Doesnt China rely on American consumers as much as Americans rely on Chinese products? so if they went to war both economy's would fail./..

12. jeaguer

jeaguer New Member

via TanksinWW2

Thanks for the tip woody , I'm actually pretty fond of asians :D

As for the mutual needs of the chinese/ U.S economies , yes indeed
    One of the less appreciated fact is that all the dollars ending up in china are recycled in U.S. treasury bond ,
    Issued to pay for the current war wich is run on deficit ( credit , I.O.U. ).
    I don't know either to laugh or cry when thinking that the chineses workers are the one footing the bill for the irak war . :-?

13. Grieg

Grieg New Member

via TanksinWW2
    To whom are your addressing your comments Roel? It isn't clear from your post.

14. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
  15. majorwoody10

majorwoody10 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    democracy has come to china ?...dang ,how did i miss that ? what ive read is that the communists are still very much in charge but are alot more corrupt and slimey than before ...they still arrest torture and murder whomever they please though not in the great numbers of the red book ...a large capitalist polluted sweatshop were the party hacks and their shrewd bussiness men buddies are getting very rich and the poor still work 15 hour days for pennies ..the chinese were and still are selling bio ,chem and nuclear weapons technology to whatever terrorist nation has the money and to cuba and pyongyang its almost free ...they condone and support piracy in bussiness and on the high seas.... the free flow of all media , tv and internet information is tightly constrained and they still treat their poor rural people like dirt and are destroying their enviornment at break neck speed ...i agree that a war with the usa and the west would be insane and self destrutive but it dosnt mean it couldnt happen ...saying the chinese are no more a threat to world stability than is japan or the usa is kinda silly, dont you think......there is only one 800 lb gorrilla in the pacific rim and everyone knows who it is ....besides as marshall rooster cogburn says in the movie ...true grit ..."you can never tell what a chinamans thinkin ,thats how he bests you at cards "...hopefully the commies will get run outta china someday soon ..we still wont have a clue what their thinkin over their, though......japan and the usa ?...really ,roel for a super smart kid , sometimes you say some astounding things...