Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

"Crossing the T' at the Surigao Strait

Discussion in 'Naval Warfare in the Pacific' started by ww2thebigone, Nov 1, 2016.

1. USAAFson

USAAFson Member

Story about the dye shells. When the US was landing troops in Morocco in '42 the French battleship Jean Bart was under repair, but still fought back. It's dye color was yellow. One shell hit close to the US command ship bathing George S. Patton in yellow. .

2. Takao

Takao Ace

Jean Bart was assigned orange as her dye color. Sistership Richelieu was assigned yellow.

I wonder, is the story apocryphal, shells from another ship, or was the Jean Bart firing shells meant for her sister.

3. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

An officer on the Augusta kept a journal in which he said the men topside told him the dye splashes were yellow, but there is no mention of Patton and Hewitt getting splashed. Harry Yeide mentions the incident in Fighting Patton, but I do not know what he referenced it to. Otherwise, there does not appear to be many other sources for this incident.

Takao likes this.
  4. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Active Member

We Americans didn't really cross any T. The Japanese merely provided the leg of it.

5. Takao

Takao Ace

Welll, yes we did.

The Americans crossed or capped the T. We could fire broadsides(all the big guns), while the Japanese could only fire their forward facing big guns.

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Landlubbers, what ya gonna do with them.

7. Carronade

Carronade Ace

I think the point is that it was more a matter of geography - the Japanese steaming up the strait - than any specially skillful tactics on our part. The same could be said of Tsushima, and there are probably other examples.

Slipdigit likes this.
  8. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

The USN was where it was because of the bottleneck. The IJN was hard put to run the gauntlet before they came into range of the OBBs big guns. Oldendorf could have picked much several much worse areas to start the fight, but he wasn't a dullard. Trap set/Trap sprung.