Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Do you consider History Channel...

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Za Rodinu, Apr 16, 2008.

1. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

I'll agree with that. :D

2. flammpanzer

flammpanzer Member

The only thing i dislike of mail call is the intense flattering propaganda towards the US army and intervention in Iraq

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I didn't see Mail Call as overly pro-US Army, nor as propaganda towards our involvement in Iraq. I did detect a slight emphasis towards the USMC, but I'm sure R. Lee Ermey had something to do with that since it was his show. Yes, it was a bit on the flag waving side, more towards a "support the troops" sort of thing, but look who was hosting it and who it was aimed at - people who were predominently US citizens, US veterans, and NOT bleeding heart liberal democratic types. People like me I guess, and those people who make up a large portion on this forum I suppose. I have no statistics to support that statement, I just figured that from reading past posts, or none of us would be here to begin with. However, I did notice the bias of subject matter in Mail Call to be mostly US in origin, but then again, the target audience was here in the US of A. I'd really like to see some programs that would lean towards other armies, different eras and such, but like most of what other posts in this thread indicate, the History Channel "ain't like it used to be," and sadly, probably never will be again. Things are in your imagination as the way you perceive them to be. There, I feel better now.

4. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

I agree with you. As I said earlier, a lot of programming on that channel now needs to be at Discovery or something like that, NOT THC....

5. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

It is a good channel to see photo's and old film reels, just don't listen to what they have to say.

6. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Then again, the History Channel's main reasons for being is 1) entertainment, and 2) to make money. For example, it is hard for someone to create a program that has the scope of the entire Afrika Korps operations, or Operation Overlord, and have it crammed into an hour long format, with commercials. Of course it wouldn't pass muster with most of us here on the forum, nor would it with people who read up on the subject matter at hand. All it has to do is to keep the interest of the target audience occupied for that hour. After that, it's Ice Road Truckers or the History of Rednecks, hosted by Billy Ray Cyrus. So get used to sports fans. See selected programs as an interest point, then expand your studies at more relieable sources of knowledge. Actually, I liked watching The History of Rednecks to tell you the truth....

Jaeger, formerjughead and Za Rodinu like this.
  7. Boozie

Boozie Member

I'm not a big History Channel person. Although I did like "Wake Island" and "Dog Fights", just to hear the veterans tell a small story. "Shermans March" was pretty good too (some of the uniform and equipment impressions were very bad), but you can't totaly cover that campaign in 2 hours. I agree that it's not hardly worth watching anymore. As I stated in my first post;I have a great intrest in WW II, but I am rusty on WW II, I am here to learn and for other members here to keep me hungry to study. The Civil War on the other hand, is something I have studied since I was very young. Most of the C.W. programing on the HC is crap, which tells me so is everything else. Ya just don't get the whole story or the whole truth on that channel. There is nothing like a good old history book. Of course our society today believes everything the T.V. tells them in the public media. So why should history be any diffrent, especially when that's the channels self proclaimed business.

8. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

So very true. And the sad part as I have always pointed out is that alot of the more lesser informed think that what they see on THC is totally factual and the Gospel truth. :rolleyes:

9. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

Much that it pains me I agree with the three posters above.

10. Julz

Julz Member

I'm sure that sums up alot of peoples thoughts on the channel including myself along with the widescreen experience and the handful of veterans accounts. The WW2 In Colour series got the ball rolling for me. Planning to get down to the National War Memorial this month (Haven't been for nearly 20 years).

11. YelloShirtUSN

YelloShirtUSN Member

After one of my relatives sued THC for slander/defimation for misinformation in a documentary about the Kennedy assisination I haven't paied to much attention to them. They've gotten away from 'history' and gone into reality tv. I'd rather read a first person account of history anyway.

12. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

"History International" is a better channel; however, lately it seems that Hitler, the Titanic and Licoln have gotten the most air time

13. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

I actually got to see the show, Dogfights the other night. The episode with the P-51's vs the 3 109s or something or other....

14. LeatherneckAg

LeatherneckAg Member

I remember THC in the good ol days as a kid watching reruns of Battle of the Atlantic all day...now it's stuff like Monster Hunters and axe men- absolute crap, with no historical content whatsoever.

15. supersmashfox

supersmashfox recruit

My brother says that ice road truckers and that other crap on there are "real" Man shows thus deserve to be on there. That or he once told me iceroad truckers is on there because ice road trucking has a history. I say bullcrap!

Anyhoo He also once told me there's no music on MTV because theirs no other room on TV for realty shows. But yeah the history channel has gone down hill i hate when they show us there documentary in school but I'm really glad they did not ever show my class a world war 2 documentary from there. I meant kids in my school already think that the united states was never at war with japan and that Jews were the ONLY ones kill in the holocaust. Should i spam THC's mail box ?
    Maybe they will start showing some decent progrmming:D

16. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Last week on The History Channel was several episodes of "The Band of Brothers" aired back to back. I watched the last part of the first episode at home, and bits and pieces of subsequent episodes going up to the beginning of the part when they were going up to Bastogne at work. I missed the rest of the series, but maybe later down the line they will show them again, between an episode of "Ice Road Truckers" one of those ufo shows....

17. Heidi

Heidi Dishonorably Discharged

I never heard about this channel before,but i love it alredy. Titanic is one of my faverite history:D.
    I have to get this channel now!

18. ghost_of_war

ghost_of_war Member

Getting a little sick of Modern Marvels and UFO Files..... history people, not The Learning Channel....

19. Tomcat

Tomcat The One From Down Under

Documentaries like, what the world will be like in 100,000 years. lol

20. rhs

rhs Member

I spend more time visiting various History Forums than I do watching TV and never cease to be amazed at the depth of knowledge of some members. It has also taught me how complicated WW2 was in relation to who fought who and for what reason.Besides the black and white ( Good versus Evil ) the infinite shades of grey affected so many people and coloured their view of the war. Thanks to the Internet my interest is far greater than ten years ago.
    TV is very powerful, delivering information in easily understood packages. The viewer has to decide the veracity of the information. All to often it is accepted at face value.
    History Channel is entertainment first, perhaps a catalyst to further study second.