Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Dunkirk

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by stgrhe, Jun 29, 2017.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Saw it this afternoon at the IMAX theater. Not bad. The beaches looked cleaner and more organized than the pictures and news reel films I've seen in the past, but kudos the the makers for not using outrageous CGI that ruins so many movies these days. I understand that the use of some is needed, but many times they get carried away a great deal and the movie is about is believable as a cartoon or a pixar-type creation.

Yes I agree that the ending with the Spitfire was a bit over the top, but that was all of that business in the movie as far as I am concerned.

I'll probably go see it again. Had to make a bathroom run about half way through. Gotta see what happened there.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

There was one point where they went from daylight to dark and back to daylight quickly. I wasn't sure if that was supposed to represent a day or not.

3. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I must have been in the bathroom for that part.

To be honest, I liked it because it is a war movie, and we don't get too many shoot'em ups these days, but I was a bit let down in general. Maybe I expected too much in my war movies. I like the action as seen in the opening and closing scene of "Saving Private Ryan" and throughout "Band of Brothers", but that's just me.

4. OpanaPointer

I also got a time-warp buzz when the bomber was coming for the minesweeper.

A-58 likes this.
  5. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Stop it!

6. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

That was a little silly. He didn't want to get wet? He couldn't swim? Those are the only excuses I'd have for gliding in my plane and then burning it. I thought he'd ditch and swim in. Oh well.

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Saw this with a friend at the Waterloo IMAX yesterday. I was very impressed - it's a great piece of movie-making. Even a hardened old cynic like me was very hard-pressed to see the seams between CGI and the real deal. I also appreciated that a lot of effort had obviously gone in to making various scenes as 'right' as possible. Without being a 'spoiler', I was especially shaken - literally - by the torpedo attack. I've read many survivor accounts of such a thing - and I thought the portrayal was very convincing.

The Spitfires are great - and they did use three real ones. Only minor gripes - I found it weird that the words 'German' or 'Germany' are hardly used ( even the opening scene refers to 'the enemy pushing the British and French back to the sea...'). And Opana is right - the final scene is rather overdone. The Spitfire would ( and in reality - did ) land wheels up......

But it's an outstanding WWII movie. See it NOW - on a big screen - don't wait to see it on DVD or TV........

Denis Caron likes this.
  8. OpanaPointer

I was more concerned by the fact that it didn't have an engine.

Denis Caron likes this.
  9. OpanaPointer

Regarding the landing itself, the pilot waited wayyyy to long to gear down.

10. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Yes, the final Spitfire flight was, I thought, just a little silly. The glide went on far too long and no pilot would have attempted a wheels-down on what would most likely have been soft sand or even hard sand with deep puddles. The aircraft would have flipped onto its nose very easily, whereas to 'pancake' in those conditions was relatively straightforward. And of course, the 'burning wreck' is too obviously a replica. Fortunately, the quality of the rest of the movie can (just) carry it.

Thought : why do movie-makers fall into this overblown-final-scene trap with WW2 films ? We had SPR with a Tiger tank being taken on with a .45 pistol, Fury ( enough said ) and now this.....o_O

11. Denis Caron

Denis Caron New Member

During the first 45 mins of the movie, I was totally taken out of the movie. I thinking to myself... where is the dialogue? Character development? etc.

After I realized, this isn't a typical movie, I really got immersed and might of even........ well, the theater was really dusty and two pieces got in both my eyes at the same time.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  12. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Average

KTK

A-58 likes this.
  13. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

When they were saying things like "Where's the bloody air force," and, "Where you you," to the pilots, I thought of your boy Fitzpatrick.

Denis Caron likes this.
  14. Denis Caron

Denis Caron New Member

I prefer the story in my book! But..... I also have an extreme bias haha.

Otto and ColHessler like this.
  15. Denis Caron

Denis Caron New Member

Totally agree! Like, how long do those things actually glide for? And, I'm not quite sure why he opened his canopy, the close it?

16. OpanaPointer

My problem was how long it took him to get his gear down, plus the fact that he didn't/shouldn't need to do that. Picture "borrowed'.

[​IMG]

Denis Caron likes this.
  17. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Just saw it. I walked away satisfied. It was a successful WWII film. The action sequences were accurately portrayed and realistic. The part I enjoyed most was the unique perspective of characters throughout the film. It was certainly not a cookie cutter movie. Very intense use of musical score, scene sequence and acting.

My only two gripes were the gliding Spitfire (pure Hollywood) and the two friggin people next to me who decided that narrating the entire film and pointing out the obvious happenings on screen was a must. I had a hard time immersing fully into the film because of those two clowns.

18. ColHessler

ColHessler Member

I was worried the people around me would do that, but thankfully no. I had that happen with Memphis Belle.

19. OpanaPointer

I report such people to the ushers.

20. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I was tempted. I wanted to ask them politely to refrain and try to speak in a whisper but my thinking is that if someone is not self aware enough to stop talking to the screen they are certainly not mature enough to handle some constructive criticism. Thankfully the movie was loud as hell so it drowned out some of the shrieks from the two.