Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

East Point Fortifications | 4K [2021] | Darwin

Discussion in 'Living History' started by NT_Australia, Oct 7, 2021.

1. NT_Australia

NT_Australia Member

East Point Fortifications | 4K [2021] | Darwin

In 1932 men of the Royal Australian Engineers and Royal Australian Artillery arrived in Darwin to construct fortifications and accommodation for a garrison and by early 1933 foundations at East Point Fortifications were completed and works at Dudley Point and Emery Point followed. By 1936, four 6-inch guns, two each at East Point and Emery Point, command posts, magazines and searchlights were completed. The 6-inch guns at East Point were to be replaced eventually by two 9.2-inch guns.

A worsening international situation saw a strengthening of Darwin’s defences, with two additional guns installed at East Point, the construction of Larrakeyah Army Barracks and an anti-submarine boom net – the longest in the world. The build up of troops continued and by November 1940 there were over 2,200 troops in Darwin. Coastal defences were also commenced with a number of ‘Singapore’ type observation posts and defensive positions established along the harbour shore.

Work on the 9.2-inch gun emplacements began in mid-1941, however all work stopped following the Japanese raids of February 1942. Peter Roberts, a Gunner at East Point, was at his post as Zero fighters and dive-bombers attacked the East Point defences.

Some works recommenced at East Point in late 1942, however work on the 9.2-inch gun emplacements was delayed until March 1943. Cliff Taylor was a Troop Sergeant with the 19th Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery at Fannie Bay in 1943.

For more information: East Point fortifications | Articles | Northern Territory, Australia

George Patton, Kai-Petri and CAC like this.
  2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Nice walk through mate.
    May I offer an idea...putting some relevant music over this...perhaps a hit from 1942...or some Larrakia music. Beats the sound of the wind on the mike.

[​IMG]

Kai-Petri and NT_Australia like this.
  3. NT_Australia

NT_Australia Member

It does have music on it (very low though). I prefer for these type of videos to make the site the feature rather then music (my way of honouring those that served I guess). But I do like the idea of the 1942 or Larrakeyah music. Thanks for the idea. I have a video (still to edit) walking around this entire area. Ill use your ideas in that.

CAC likes this.
  4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Simply great, thanx!

NT_Australia likes this.
  5. NT_Australia

NT_Australia Member

Your welcome

6. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Another great tour.

NT_Australia likes this.