Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Famous Paintings (some with a 'twist')

Discussion in 'Living History' started by Biak, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I was thinking about something we saw on our recent tour/vacation and wanted to share and ask for other examples. In the painting depicted we see the presentation of the Declaration of Independence to Congress, but has anyone noticed a few 'oddities"? The name of the short dumpy looking fellow in the center escapes me and hopefully one of our resident Historians can identify him. It was pointed out to me that this fellow made a huge ruckus about his being in a "Prominent" position due to his 'Community Standing'. His egotistical attitude did not sit well with the artist, John Trumbull, but never the less he got his wishes fulfilled. You will see that he is standing with his hand on his hip, the only member doing so, as to say "I'm important". Also he is shown to have a substantial 'mid-section' compared to all the others. His lack of hair is displayed more prominently, and the kicker, Look at Thomas Jefferson's right foot. Jefferson is standing deliberately on his left foot!

[​IMG]

Looks like it is John Adams ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signing_of_the_Declaration_of_Independence ) and the foot is not "directly" on the foot.

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Here is another; Scene at The Signing of The Constitution of The United States. The artist Howard Chandler Christy painted the picture in 1940 and not knowing what each member actually looked like used his own image for many in the group. Look under the three upraised arms on the left side and directly below. There appears to be a face floating over the shoulder of the man with the long white hair. Supposedly of Christy the artist. These two descriptions of the pictures are just conjectures and ideas put forth but interesting as to how and why.

[​IMG]

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I think you are correct in the first picture. The "dumpy" guy is Adams. He was not the most svelte of people.

4. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Where are you yanks hiding all your women? I love these historical pics...History without words. But pictures sometimes paint a thousand words...But I think if photo shop was around at the time the famous one of Brits shooting yankees in Boston? The black guy? Wasn't real was it?

5. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I assume you're referring to the "Boston Massacre", and yes he was real. His name was Crispus Attucks.

6. urqh

Thats the one...What was the fuss about him about then usmc?

7. urqh

Ok, I know what the fuss was...We had this debate in freezone a year or two back but I cannot find the original It was about him not being in one of the famous paintings...And the Preston in front of the guns at time of order to fire thing...I don't know enough about the what actually happened thing..Revere and the painting was brought up and I remember one of your US history students commenting on he was doing a project on it and the inconsistancies in the reporting...So there were conspiracy theories and bad reporting apparantly even then. It just rang a bell when I saw that pic... He was not shown in this pic. And others but was on other ones. He wanted to know why..