Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Favourite WW2 Photo

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Sturmkreuz, Nov 23, 2007.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Attached Files:

2. 4th wilts

4th wilts Member

Hi,I think my favourite photo is St.Paul's cathedral ,surrounded in smoke during the"Blitz".quite breathtaking.!

3. TD-Tommy776

Attached Files:

4th wilts likes this.
  4. aussyss

aussyss Dishonorably Discharged

My favorite WWII pics are from German soldiers. But these yanks are funny, mischievous soldiers.

Attached Files:

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Great one, I hope he's shooting in the right direction .

6. TD-Tommy776

If he's urinating, that's not going to work out too well. ;)

7. aussyss

aussyss Dishonorably Discharged

I'm going to place it within the caption thread. :D

8. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I love this photo. The background is that about 1000 Jewish women were pulled from Auschwitz to work in a munitions factory in Lippstadt, Germany (SS Kommando Lippstadt I). On about March 30th, 1945, the allies were closing in and a detachment of SS began marching the women to Bergen-Belsen to be killed. They were ordered to shoot the women if they encountered allied troops. On April 1st, at Kaunitz, Germany, a column of tanks from the 2nd Armored (Hell on Wheels) accompanied by infantry from the 30th Division (Old Hickory) materialized out of nowhere and bagged the entire bunch. There were 830 women still alive and they fell to the ground and actually kissed the wheels and treads of the Shermans. The women were filthy, covered with lice, starving to death. They were so overcome they were unable to speak and could only cry. When the GI's finally realized they were Jews, they also began crying and hugging the women.
    April 1st was the last day of Passover and one of the Jewish GI's called back to the Regiment and soon boxes of Matzos (unleavened bread traditionally eaten at Passover) appeared. They took the women into the small town of Kaunitz and threw the Germans out of their homes. The women were able to bathe and take any fresh clothes they wanted. A company of GI's stayed with them. That night, using instruments looted from the Germans, they played music for them and held a modest celebration.

The photo below of a Czech mother and daughter was taken that day. The girl is 12 years old. The mother (I'm guessing) is 30 or 35, but looks 60. The mother has the "1000 yard stare" probably knowing that all the rest of her family is dead. The girl is also sad, but you can see a gleam of hope in her eyes. The young girl is beginning to look at the future, while her mother is still looking at the past.

Every time I look at this picture, I wonder what happened to this beautiful young girl.

Attached Files:

36thID, TD-Tommy776 and Biak like this.
  9. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I like your style! Understanding the "Why" behind the pictures, says a lot about the person.

10. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Thank you!

The story as told by Anna Kaletska:

Attached Files:

11. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

This picture is also from that incident. For some reason, I couldn't add it to the post above. You can see that some of the women are still in rags, and others are wearing parts of GI clothing, so this would be before they went into Kaunitz and took clothes from the German civilians.

View attachment 27756

12. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Here's a great picture. If you right click and "open in new tab" you can see it in high definition. The title is self-explanatory.

Attached Files:

13. TD-Tommy776

At some point (in other words, I don't recall), I came across this photo of a soldier from 2nd Bn, 129th Infantry on Bougainville. He obviously received a minor head wound. He's seems to be feeling well enough for a smoke break. ;)

View attachment 18513

Attached Files:

14. TheFonz

TheFonz recruit

This is my favorite photograph. I have it framed in my office. The fella on the front row, far right is my grandfather. For someone who never ventured more than a hundred miles from his father's farm before the war, I guess visiting exotic places like Egypt was one heck of an experience.

[​IMG]

36thID likes this.