Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Film legend Charlton Heston dead at 84

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Za Rodinu

Za Rodinu Aquila non capit muscas

First great amphibious operation in history!

2. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

why are his military roles the ones that stick to my mind: midway and the omega man?

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

charleton hestons basement arsenal,seems he had a great passion for ww2 militaria,and how!...:eek:

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

These two pics look like a Class 3 gunshop I visited a few times when in San Antonio. Those guys have some amazing stuff for sale to say the least. I don't know tha name of their shop but do remember their shop was located on Fredricksburg Road and is right next to Loop 410.

Also, that was a bad week as far as the passings of Hollywood legends go. A week earlier before Charlton Heston passed away, we also lost Richard Widmark, another household name in our house :-(

5. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Even if I am not happy about the death of any man (though Christian hope makes death seem actually desirable), I must confess that I couldn't stand the man... I disliked his acting, his presence, his ideology... he himself...

But that is no reason not to expect that he rests in peace.

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Fried, believe it or not but, back in the 60s, Charlton Heston used to be a rabid liberal. He as well as actors like: Jon Voigt, were seen in the nightly news as marching side-by-side with blacks trying to help them out with whatever problems they ad at the time. I have seen both Heston and Voigt in repeats of these news sequences. Fortunately both Heston and Voigt "saw-the-light" and became Conservatives.

7. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

I did know that... but again, even if I'm not a 'Liberal' (in the funny American meaning of the word), I barely can watch any film he was on... his face alone ennerves me... just like Julia Roberts! :p

Speaking of [intelligent] conservatives and film legends... I love Clint Eastwood just as much as Charlton Heston repulsed me. :D

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Fried , opinions are like Nostrels-everybody has ay least one ;-)) I, totally diagree with you about his looks and acting capabilities and such. The man himself was what they say in Business College (WYSiWYG) pronounced like it looks, "What You See is What You Get".

Charlton Heston was very well-known to be a down-to-Earth person and a real Gentleman towards his fans--much unlike the airheads that infest hollywoodland these days-such as sean pennhead (one wonders what Charles Bronson saw in this dork?) and gEORGE cLOONEY and "Turkey Tim" robbins etc.

Charlton Heston won many awards-also some of the highest awards that the film and entertainment industry had to offer. Heston is compared with Actors like Victure Mature, Errol Flynn, Burt Lancaster and Stephan Boyd-all who were highly thought of because their features were "Chisled out of the finest Granite."

Also, Charlton Heston has to be commended because he had one of the longest marriages in hollywood history-much unlike turkeys like Elizabeth Taylor, and some of the others that seem to switch partners as ofter as flushing the toilet.

Im a fan of Clint Eastwood too-so it's hard to choose one over the other. Both actors were proficient at their craft. Charlton Heston much like Gregory Peck (another favorite of mine) was a "Star" from his first movie onwards.

9. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

film stars they were,and the likes we'll not see again,true actors of the silver screen,todays film stars are not made of the same stuff,I can only think of kirk douglas as the last one remaining of that school of actors,correct me if I'm wrong,as its early in the morn, so many of them have passed away in recent years,ray..

10. macker33

macker33 Member

I still havent seen el cid,with any luck therell be a charlton heston season.

11. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It is a good flick. I enjoyed it. It was time well spent.

12. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Ray, well said Mate. I can't think of many left who were in Hestons class-except Ernest Borgnine, Olivia de Havilland, the mentioned Kirk Douglas, George Kennedy and of course Clint Eastwood. ;-)) You just hate to see these great Actors age.

Hi Macher-El Cid is an excellent movie. It's also out on DvD and im currently trying to find a deluxe boxed set to get for myself. I THINK El Cid came out shortly after Ben Hur? not sure? Anyway, im also a fan of Stephan Boyd, and he really looks the part of the historical characters he portrayed. He was opposite Heston in Ben Hur. Also, if you like Stephan Boyd? he is also in The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire-which has an excellent International cast including some of the UKs finest like Sir Alec Guiness as Caesar, Christopher Plummer as the Son of Caesar, Stephan Boyd as a Roman General, James Mason as the ex-slave and current advisor to Caesar, John Ireland excellently portrays a German Barbarian General, Anthony Quayle, Mel Ferrer and other greats are also in this film.