Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

first time putting on a ww2 German Uniform

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by aquist, Jun 28, 2004.

1. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    I met John who was a German Reenactor, I had been an American Army reenactor for almost twenty years. He talked me into trying German something I had been toying with for years. The C.O. of 116 Pz Gren Herr Krupa said I was a good reenactor and theywould love to have me as a soldat in their unit. So I ordered some very inexpensive stuff, I pair of wool trousers and jacket and a sleep shirt, a set of braces, (suspenders,) and Jack boots, also a stahlhelm and a 98K mauser rifle, so the first time I put the uniform on, I felt very strange, It was cool. I can't say that it would feel like that for you. I guess I have always secretly wanted to do this> I even went outside (it was 1 am and no one was around ) and I rode over to the plant where John was a nght watchman and talked with him about not letting me look like a farb. I did not even put the jacket (Feldbluse) on- just the pants and sleep shirt and boots and braces. when I finally had the jacket and headgear on it was an even stronger feeling. I felt like I was suddenly transformed back into the past in Germany in 1940, sort of becoming the heavy, the bad guy. the very profesional soldier with a reputation for being brutal and aggressive ok macho man if you like. but it wasnt just that it was being a piece of history. of stepping into the enemies shoes'. what can I say. It might not be that way for you. you would have to try it for yourself.

2. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    by the time I went to my first battle....

...I had more less become comfortable in the role of a German soldier, our unit was then called 11th Panzer Grenadiers. So we were supposed to be in armored vehicles, we had one very farby armored car,(perhaps I should explain that the term FARB is not a compliment among reenactors. It is a word that means unauthentic, from the German word for color, i.e. wrong color wrong style. not authentic) anyway since we had no tanks we changed our name to the 353rd Inf Div. besides there are already several units claiming the title of 11th Pz Gren die Gespenster Division ( the ghost division) It still amazes me that in the heartland of the USA it is possible 60 years after the war to find all the stuff you need to be a soldier in the ww2 German Army. the Armored car was really a Jeep pick-up truck with a fiberglass body that kind of sort of resembled a sdkfz 222. the Armored car refused to start and had to be pushed off the battle field by the former 11th Panzer Grenadiers, oh humiliation.

3. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    any millionaires out there want to buy us some tanks?

there is this guy in Florida building full sized replicas of Panzer Mk 111's and some Russian BA 64 armored cars. but they arent cheap. neither are the other gadgets and paraphernalia required to put on battle reenactments, all of this money comes out of our own members pockets. At first I wanted to provide stuff for any recruits but that is a can of worms I had best not open. see once you become provider and have this sponser client relationship it never ends, So it is best to let everyone come up with their own stuff, besides having a list of required and optional items to acquire is part of the fun of being a reenactor its like a treasure hunt. It is a challange to find and acquire your own kit. Then it is yours and not someone elses. And having good stuff is a matter of pride just as earning awards like the Iserne Kreuz etc. I am proud to have made a German bicycle and a schemmel- a German footstool as well as many other odds and ends. ie stuck grenaden signs armbands usw.

4. SgtBob

SgtBob New Member

via TanksinWW2
    That guy making BA 64's better watch out, he'll restart all those conspiracy theories of some right-wing extremists (that started when the U.S. captured lots of Soviet armor in Gulf War I was around)! They truly believed that the captured armor was part of a plan for a Soviet foothold.

5. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    up grades to my kit

my first set of Y-straps were austrian and cost 14.95 from IMA the only problem with them is that they have a comfort pad sewn to the area that contacts your shoulders . ww2 German ones did not have this pad so removing it leaves little stich holes in the leather. new made Y-straps that are 100% correct are available thru 1944 Militaria. 74.95 my ammo pouches were cheap 12.95 from Hunters Lodge, kind of rotted and stretched out ones so I bought a set of nice tight pebbled repros 29.95 my canteen cover was ripped so I bought a new one from Wephaus as well as one of their bread bags 14.95 and 26.95 respectively. I also ordered a new tunic and trousers from on-the -march in Virginia. another 150. bucks. so together with my overpriced zelt tent I have spent lots of money to make my impression look better. my Stahhelm instead of being a converted Spanish one is an actual M40 German Helmet. My farbwear is now retired. but i refuse to look down on reenactors who cannot afford to buy the best stuff. my farby stuff actually looked pretty darn good.

6. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    My first time...

Thanks for the reply sgtbob I often feel like I am pretty far out in left field. bear in mind that I went thru the same process in getting outfitted as a GI back in 83 and have gone thru similar processes in getting ready to be a Tommy and an Ivan. I dont know why I am so anxious to infect others with the virus of reenactor materialism. but it is part of the fun. you really are part reenactor part collector. I have 5+ footlockers overflowing and a closet and another little 4X8 foot room full of stuff. also mixed in with that are models planes and tanks.. from time to time we are infiltrated by FBI agents to see what we are up to. the reenactors are a defacto militia and as such the Govt is a little nervous about well armed private armies. So u are right.

7. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Re: My first time...

:eek: That's quite a collection KP... I wish I lived in Arkansas (ain't that a song? :D )
    Oh, is there no end to the suspicion of the Feds?

8. aquist

aquist recruit

via TanksinWW2
    moving Roel to Arkansas

well just become an exchange student or something. the University of Arkansas is nearby at Little Rock, 35 miles from here. Or just come and live here as soon as you are of age. We have 3 large man made Lakes, the area is a tourist trap and a retirement area. the damd up the Ouachita River and made lake Hamilton, Lake Catherine,and Lake Ouachita

9. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Yeah, over here (UK) our re-enactment groups have to jump through an awful lot of government hoops for the same reason.
    I know a guy in a Medieval Society (Wars of the Roses time) who is a handgunner. He needs a license to produce gunpowder, and apparently it was hell to get.