Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

football !!

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Platton, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova has said that Manchester United target Cesc Fabregas wants to stay with the Spanish champions.

United on Monday made a bid for the former Arsenal midfielder, who has failed to secure a regular starting spot at Barca since returning to the club from the Gunners two years ago.

However, Barca insisted the 26-year-old was not for sale and Vilanova has now confirmed that Fabregas is not wanting to move on either.

Vilanova said at a press conference on Tuesday morning: "I'm aware there have been offers, I had a conversation with him and he told me that he wanted to continue here and that he didn't want to go to another big club.

"He wants to succeed here."

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Jose Mourinho admits Wayne Rooney is Chelsea's only transfer target but insists his future is a decision for Manchester United.
    Jose Mourinho insisted the future of Wayne Rooney is a decision for Manchester United as the tussle for the striker's services began in earnest.
    Rooney is at the centre of a row between Chelsea and United over a bid made on Tuesday for the player which was rejected by the Barclays Premier League champions.
    Mourinho was low-key when commenting on the offer in Bangkok on Wednesday, despite United provoking the Blues' ire.
    Chelsea confirmed they want to buy Rooney, who is in dispute with United over comments made by manager David Moyes when he spoke to journalists in Bangkok last week.
    However, they are furious at suggestions David Luiz or Juan Mata had been offered as makeweights in the deal.
    Speaking in Bangkok following the first match of his second spell in charge - a 1-0 win over Singha All-Stars - Mourinho declined the opportunity to fuel the argument.
    "I think that this situation is clear - nothing is a secret anymore," he said.
    "The official bid is just about a certain amount of money and doesn't involve players.
    "We want the player. We made the bid and now we have nothing more to say.
    "Now it's up to Manchester United."
    Asked if Chelsea had made any other bids, Mourinho said: "No, and we won't."
    Asked whether it is now "Rooney or bust", Mourinho said: "yes."

3. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Paris St Germain's president will attempt to sign Lionel Messi from Barcelona for €250million if the Catalans choose to meet Thiago Silva's buy-out clause this summer, according to reports in France.
    PSG president Sheikh Nasser Al-Khelaifi is unhappy that Barca are continuously being linked with PSG's Brazilian defender and has vowed to play them at their own game.
    "If Barca pay the buy-out clause of Thiago Silva then I will meet Messi's buy-out clause," he is quoted as telling ActuSports.fr.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Barcelona have reached an agreement for Argentinian Gerardo Martino to become their new coach.

The 50-year-old, who led Newell's Old Boys to the Argentinian Clausura title last season but recently severed ties with the club, has agreed a two-year contract at Barca where he will replace Tito Vilanova.

Barca announced on Friday night that the 44-year-old Vilanova was stepping down as he continues his battle with cancer.

"FC Barcelona have reached an agreement to appoint Gerardo Martino as the new coach of the football team for the next two seasons . This agreement is pending the drafting and signing of the contract,'' a statement on fcbarcelona.cat read.

"In the coming hours [a programme will be planned for] his arrival in Barcelona, signing the contract and the subsequent presentation.''

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez wants to hold talks with Arsenal over a potential move to the London club.

Suarez believes Arsenal's offer of just over £40m - which was rejected - triggered a clause in his contract that allows him to speak to suitors.

Liverpool interpret the clause differently, but the 26-year-old will inform Reds boss Brendan Rodgers of his wish to meet with Arsenal.

The Gunners' unusual bid of £40,000,001 was designed to trigger the clause in the player's contract that stipulates Liverpool must consider any offer in excess of £40m and give Suarez the option of talking to the club - but the Reds do not have to sell.

While Liverpool remain determined to keep their prized asset, who scored 30 goals for the club in 44 appearances last season, their resolve is likely to be tested if the bidding continues to rise.

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Gareth Bale will sit out Tottenham's latest pre-season friendly due to injury as he continues to be linked with Spanish giants Real Madrid.
    Spurs manager Andre Villas-Boas had hoped the Welsh winger would be fit to face South China FC in the Barclays Asia Trophy match in Hong Kong, however he continues to be troubled by a knock sustained in training.
    Villas-Boas has revealed there are ongoing talks with Bale's agent regarding a new contract at White Hart Lane.
    However reports in Spain have claimed Bale is eager to move to Madrid, with sports newspaper Marca even reporting dialogue from a conversation they claim he had with Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy.
    According to Marca, Bale told Levy he wanted Spurs to negotiate a deal and said: "I'm not interested in Manchester United or any other team. I just want to play for Madrid."
    Reports in Spain earlier this week also suggested the player has already agreed terms on a six-year deal.
    Whatever Bale did or did not say to Levy, Villas-Boas is optimistic the 24-year-old, who is currently contracted until 2016, will extend his stay at White Hart Lane.

7. Mussolini

Mussolini Gaming Guru Patron  

Dont think Bale is worth more then $30million...shocking to go for 85!

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Jonjo Shelvey apologised to Swansea City supporters following the 2-2 draw with Liverpool after saying he wanted to 'go into a hole'.
    The midfielder joined Swansea from Liverpool in the summer and put his new club ahead after just two minutes, only to inadvertently set up his old team-mate Daniel Sturridge for the equaliser two minutes later.
    Shelvey's poor pass then provided Victor Moses with the opportunity to fire Liverpool ahead before the England international set up Michu for Swansea's equaliser on 64 minutes.
    Though Shelvey had helped to earn Swansea a point at the Liberty Stadium, he was left distraught by the role he had played in Liverpool's two goals.
    "I just want to say sorry to the Swansea fans for the two bad mistakes that have gifted Liverpool a draw," Shelvey told Sky Sports.
    "I really thought we deserved more than that. It started tremendously, getting the goal, but then two poor mistakes.

"I showed a bit of character to keep getting on the ball, and I set the next goal up, but I'm still disappointed.
    "I didn't really want to celebrate [after scoring] because I've huge respect for the Liverpool fans and I loved every minute being there, but it's hard to hide your emotions. Two minutes later, I give them a goal. It was good to score, but I can't stop thinking about the two mistakes.
    "You want to go into a hole where no-one can see you. Football is about coming back from things like that and it has happened to great players.
    "It's just a horrible feeling, I don't want to wish it on anyone, even your worst enemy, but that's football."

9. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Manchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini was left stunned following his side's shock 3-2 defeat at Aston Villa in the Premier League on Saturday.
    City twice threw away the lead and somehow lost the game despite dominating for long periods of the clash at Villa Park.
    Andreas Weimann netted the winner for Villa after Karim El Ahmadi and Leandro Bacuna cancelled out goals from Yaya Toure and Edin Dzeko.
    Pellegrini was at a loss to explain how his side ended up coming away from the game with nothing as they failed to build on last weekend's derby demolition of Manchester United.

Asked if the defeat was hard to take, Pellegrini told Sky Sports: "Yes, very hard because I think today we played very well - not the way we played against Cardiff, or against Stoke.
    "I think today we play well. We deserved another goal, but the score says something different.
    "In general, I was very happy with how my team played today.
    "Twice we had the advantage in the score, but in five minutes we did two things that threw away all we did in the rest of the game.
    "But football is like that and you must concentrate for 90 minutes."

---------------

Manchester United boss David Moyes was disappointed with his side after West Brom netted a shock 2-1 victory at Old Trafford.
    After getting back to winning ways in the Capital One Cup against Liverpool on Wednesday night, United were expected to comfortably secure another home victory over the Baggies in the Premier League on Saturday.
    But a solid Baggies defensive display, along with some impressive counter-attacking football, proved too much for the Red Devils to handle, and Moyes felt his side got what they deserved.

"Disappointing performance, disappointing result. We never really got up to speed," Moyes said.
    "We had a few chances, but West Brom held their shape and defended well.
    "They always looked a threat on the break, in the first half especially and even more so in the second half.
    "We missed that spark and West Brom deserved it no question. I can't argue with that."

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Manchester United boss David Moyes says his team do not have sufficient class to win the Champions League this season.
    United have lost three of their opening six games in the Barclays Premier League under Moyes, with the latest setback coming in a 2-1 home defeat to West Brom at Old Trafford on Saturday.
    The Premier League champions were unsuccessful in their pursuit of a number of summer transfer targets, with interest in Cesc Fabregas, Leighton Baines and, finally, Ander Herrera all coming to nothing, and Moyes is concerned that his squad may lack the quality to challenge for Europe's top club prize.
    "To win the Champions League, you need five or six world-class players," he told several national newspapers.

"Look at Bayern Munich, they have it. Look at Barcelona, who had it in the past and Real Madrid, who have maybe got it now. That's the level you have to be at to win it. We've not got that yet but what we have got is experience."
    The Red Devils began their Champions League campaign with a 4-2 home win over Bayer Leverkusen earlier this month and face a difficult assignment away to Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday.
    They have not enjoyed great success in either of their previous two European campaigns under former boss Sir Alex Ferguson, going out at the group stage in 2012 and losing in the last 16 to Real Madrid last season.

Domestically, United's start to the campaign is their worst since the 1989-90 season - one which ended with Ferguson's first silverware as the club won the FA Cup.

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti expects Gareth Bale to use the next 15 days to recover from his latest injury.
    The 24-year-old, who cost Real £85.3million from Tottenham in September, suffered another setback on Wednesday as a thigh muscle complaint ruled him out of a 4-0 Champions League victory over FC Copenhagen.
    Following the resounding win over the Danish club - in which Cristiano Ronaldo and Angel Di Maria scored two goals apiece - Ancelotti moved to allay fears over Bale's condition, promising the winger would use the upcoming international break to reach a "good physical condition".
    But on Thursday morning, Wales manager Chris Coleman called Bale into his squad to face Macedonia and Belgium in World Cup qualifiers on October 11 and 15.
    Dragons boss Coleman did, however, confirm the player would not actually feature in either game.
    Ancelotti had told Real's official website: "We are not worried, he has not played because of muscle fatigue and it is nothing special.
    "He is waiting to recover his optimal fitness. He was not at 100 per cent but he will get there because he has 15 days of rest and then will be ready.
    "He is not happy and that is normal, he wants to play and is eager but it is not a problem. Now we have time to get him into a good physical condition and avoid injuries."

12. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

One football game- two goals -a star is born?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24416142

Manchester United midfielder Adnan Januzaj is being monitored by England, according to national boss Roy Hodgson.
    The Belgium-born 18-year-old scored twice on his full debut as United came from behind to beat Sunderland 2-1.
    Januzaj has been at Old Trafford since 2011, and Hodgson told Match of the Day he could one day play for England.
    "There's no doubt that he's a real talent and we have our eyes on him but a lot will have to be discussed," said Hodgson.

He's been with United for a long period of time and of course that discussion will have to be seriously debated before we start naturalising players.
    "Yes [he could play for England] down the line if he becomes naturalised or if he becomes a homegrown product."
    Januzaj, who is of Kosovan descent, is eligible to play for several other countries including Belgium, Albania and Turkey.
    Manchester United boss David Moyes admitted in his post-match news conference that the Football Association had been in touch with the Old Trafford club about Januzaj's eligibility.
    "Yes. There is some way he has a chance of qualifying for England through residency," said Moyes.

13. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Incredible guys Messi and Ronaldo...

Cristiano Ronaldo notched his second successive hat-trick at the Bernabeu as Real Sociedad became the latest side to be put to the sword by Real Madrid's expensively-assembled forward line in a 5-1 mauling.
    The attacking trident of Ronaldo, Benzema and Bale, who cost a combined total of around £200million, have now notched 16 of the 17 goals Madrid have scored in their last four matches - the other being Khedira's strike - while they also boast a host of assists between them.

---------

That´s 24 goals for the season and 62 for the whole of the year...Wow!

14. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Barca unveil mausoleum plan

Barcelona fans could be offered the chance to be buried under the club's ground.
    The Spanish giants plan to offer room for up to 30,000 urns under the stadium, whether they upgrade the Nou Camp or move away to a larger venue.
    Josep Ramon Vidal-Abarca, the club's director of facilities, admitted the idea of a mausoleum is a response to the wishes of the club's fans.
    He told The Guardian: "This is in response to the historical demand from members who want their remains laid to rest at the stadium."
    Reportedly there will initially be space for 500 urns, for either 50 or 99 years, with prices starting at around £2,500.

15. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Germany boss Joachim Low has backed Bayern Munich to follow up their startling Bundesliga triumph by ruling Europe again in the Champions League and paving the way for a World Cup triumph.
    Bayern clinched domestic league glory on Tuesday night when a 3-1 victory at Hertha Berlin meant that, with seven rounds of games to go, they cannot be caught.
    No team has ever won the Bundesliga with so much of the season still to be played out, and the shield was a third piece of silverware for Pep Guardiola in his first season with Bayern, after previous Super Cup and Club World Cup successes.

16. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino was left to rue his side's lack of a cutting edge after their Primera Division title prospects took a severe dent in a 1-0 defeat at Granada.
    The match was settled by Yacine Brahimi's early strike, the Algerian racing through a Barca defence containing no natural centre-backs and scoring past Jose Manuel Pinto.
    The visitors, who began without midfielder Xavi and first-choice full-backs Dani Alves and Jordi Alba, were unable to respond - thwarted on a number of occasions by Granada's outstanding goalkeeper Orestis Karnesis.
    "I don't have any complaints for how my players played," Martino said at his post-match press conference. "This is a game that we should have won.
    "The rotations have nothing to do with the result.
    "We didn't score the goals we needed to win. We lacked accuracy. In a normal game, we would have won by three or four goals."

17. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Cristiano Ronaldo has been awarded the Ballon d'Or for a third time at a ceremony in Zurich.

The Real Madrid superstar topped a poll of journalists, international coaches and captains for the second year running and is now within one win of equalling rival Lionel Messi's four awards.
    Ronaldo received 37.66 per cent of all votes, while Barcelona's Messi just pipped Manuel Neuer to second place, with 15.76 per cent compared to 15.72 per cent for Germany's World Cup-winning goalkeeper.
    The Portuguese forward first won the Ballon d'Or in 2008, two years before it was merged with FIFA's World Player of the Year award to become the FIFA Ballon d'Or.
    His latest success comes on the back of 12 months during which he scored 56 goals in 51 club games, among them a competition-record 17 in Real's Champions League-winning campaign.

18. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Barcelona president Josep María Bartomeu has told a local radio station Lionel Messi is happy at the Nou Camp.

Messi's future has been the subject of huge speculation in recent weeks, with the player himself admitting at Monday's Ballon d’Or Gala that he was not sure where he would be playing next year.

Several newspaper reports last week suggested both Chelsea and Manchester City were planning a world-record move for Messi, who has spent his entire career at Barcelona.
    However, Bartomeu has moved to quash any doubts over Messi’s commitment to Barca by insisting he has told him he wants to end his career in Catalonia.
    Bartomeu told Catalunya Radio: "I have contact with him (Messi) and he is happy, with a lot of ambition and desire to win.
    "He puts in more work than most. There will not be another player like him. He told me that he wants to end his career at Barca and his commitment and willingness are the maximum.
    "There is no debate about his future, he already said that he wanted to stay and he has a contract here. Additionally, here he has some great team-mates to (help him) to win."

---------

Probably a pay raise coming up...for a footballer it makes wonders to his dedication and love of the club these days... ;)

19. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Chelsea striker Diego Costa has been charged with violent conduct over his clash with Liverpool's Emre Can on Tuesday night.

A statement from the Football Association confirmed Costa's alleged stamp was missed by all four officials on duty for the second leg of the Capital One Cup semi-final at Stamford Bridge.
    Referee Michael Oliver has since watched replays and told the FA the offence warranted a red card, and Costa now faces a three-match ban if the charge is proven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpniB_8upG8

20. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/7555/9700677/Jurgen-Klopp-will-not-resign-Borussia-Dortmund-position-despite-Bundesliga-struggles

Jurgen Klopp insists he will not quit as Borussia Dortmund head coach despite the threat of relegation.

Dortmund remain rooted to the foot of the Bundesliga table after losing 1-0 at home to 10-man Augsburg on Wednesday.
    The defeat is the 11th of the season for the 2013 Champions League finalists and led to some of the players apologising to fans after the final whistle.
    But Klopp, who took over at Dortmund in 2008, insisted he has no plans to walk away, saying: “I can rule out resigning. After only two games this year, the tank isn't completely empty.
    "Resignation wasn't on my mind on Wednesday, so accordingly it's not an issue for me."