Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For all New York Yankee fans

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Onthefield, Jun 12, 2008.

1. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

It is hard not to like Joba. He is humble and talented. The Yankees organization has done a great job of bringing him through the system. It is good to see so many young players (Joba for the Yankees, Pedroia and Ellsbury on the Red Sox, Lincecum on the Giants, etc.) who show how good they are rather than talk about it!

2. 1911Colt

1911Colt Member

Yanks will be in 1st before august 1.

3. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

HA! HA! You are so wrong. The Sox will be 2 games ahead of the Yankees and the Rays on August 1. The Sox will win the next two games of their current series and the Yanks won't recover from it.

Props to the Yankees tonight, though. Joba was outstanding and Mariano is timeless. It's been a while since I have seen a pitcher's duel like that.

4. Terror of the Skies

Terror of the Skies Member

You know as a professional player of the sport (Double-A), baseball is a lot more difficult than one would think. Also, I fall under the overweight player category myself. However, in mine, and other cases (ie: Prince Fielder, David Ortiz, and Tony Gywnn to name a few) get our power from our size. Many don't realize that while it still helps to be fit, you don't have too. The keys to successful baseball is good mechanics, speed, and timing. Anyone here can be a good hitter. The people you see like Ortiz, Josh Hamilton, and other great hitters just have natural talent. Not because they are in better condition. But don't let it fool you. Hitting is only half the game. I find fielding more difficult than hitting. And if you've ever played the infield you know why.

With that being said, as a life long Red Sox fan, I present Joba Chamberlain (whom I have nothing against), and the entire Yankees franchise a giant middle finger.

5. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

I, too, am a lifelong Sox fan. Indeed, I was going to take Ted Williams for my Avatar until I realized that you had him already! Until a few years ago, I would have extended the middle finger to the Yankees as well. That said, the past decade has seen a big change in the team's attitude and redeemed the franchise a bit in my eyes. I credit Joe Torre with changing the team from arrogant to professional and Hank Steinbrenner (in the short term at least) with adopting a better team philosophy (building is better than bluster).

It helps that our Sox are much better this decade than the Yankees have been. If you are also a Patriots and Celtics fan, this is the Boston decade by far. For good measure, you can throw in the BC Eagles, who have one 8 straight Bowl games. Of course, I left Boston in 2000 so I have missed all of it except on TV!

Good to know there are other Sox fans out there. I shall start another thread to see if we can get some talk going! (Or maybe we should just take over this Yankee thread . . . . it would be more fitting.;)

Cheers!

6. 1911Colt

1911Colt Member

Take your chowder-chatter elsewhere! :D

The trade for Nady & Marte last night fill's up 2 gaping holes on the roster & with the momentum swinging NY's way, bring on the stretch run.

7. Terror of the Skies

Pittsburgh got screwed on that deal.

8. 1911Colt

1911Colt Member

Yes they did. :D

b.t.w., my 2 all time favorite ballplayers are Lou Gehrig & "The Splendid Splinter".

Goes to show you a Yankee fan can be bi-partisan. ;)

9. Terror of the Skies

I'm sorta fond of Matsui myself. He's not an ass Lol.

Holy crap seing Xavier Nady in a Yankees uniform is unreal...

Good thing he just grounded out.

10. 1911Colt

1911Colt Member

I'm in Pa, so the damn Sillies game is on instead. :(

Regarding Matsui, i think he's played his last game in pinstripes. Just a hunch.

11. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Matsui is a stud. No question.

And yes, the Yankees did get the better end of the trade. If Pittsburgh is going to give up talent, it should at least get true A list prospects.

12. Terror of the Skies

Maybe not. Maybe they'll put him at the DH spot?

13. 1911Colt

1911Colt Member

If he should return this season, which is doubtful, he would DH. I think he won't & he'll be dealt in the offseason. Damon,Matsui, & Abreu won't be on the roster next year.

Oh yeah, b.t.w....

THE YANKEES WIN!!!!....THEEEEEEEEEE YANKEES WIN!!!

:)

14. Lippert

Lippert Member

I played baseball in college and have several friends who play/played minor league and pro. I'll tell ya that if you watch how these guys train you'd be impressed. They have to be in exceptionally good shape to make it to the pros. While baseball may not be as non-stop as soccer (I'll grant that), most pro ball players are in pretty darn good shape.

15. 1911Colt

1911Colt Member

Actually baseball takes a major backseat to football here in popularity. While the stamina of a soccer player doesn't transcend to baseball, there isn't a soccer player on the planet who can throw a ball 100+ times averaging 75-95 mph, nor can any of them get around on those same pitches, much less put it in play no more than twice in 10 swings.

Apples & oranges.

16. Terror of the Skies

No you don't. See my original post in this thread.

It DOES help however to be in great physical condition, but it is nowhere near a "have to."

17. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Ahem . . . A rotation that includes Sidney Ponson will NOT be making it to the World Series this year. . . . I'm just sayin'. . . .

18. Terror of the Skies

I thought they killed Ponson because he was so horrible.

REALLY, I didn't even know he was still alive. I really thought he was dead.

19. Lippert

Lippert Member

I'll grant you that.. there are some lardasses.

As far as teams... two words: Chuck Knoblauch. He was my favorite as a kid and got me hooked on the Yanks... and yes I know he was a Twin... and a Royal (the sad days).

Go yanks!

20. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

Posada is out for the season. Good luck with that . . . .