Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For the other Astronuts out there

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Biak, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Since we don't have the shuttle to follow anymore here is a good site for satellite watching. Real time mapping of the ISS and other things that are Up There.

LIVE REAL TIME SATELLITE TRACKING AND PREDICTIONS:

Launch information, space news and whole lot more.

CHINA IS ALL SET FOR HISTORIC SPACE DOCKING ATTEMPT - A robotic Chinese spaceship is chasing down another vessel for a scheduled orbital meet-up Wednesday that could help clear the way for China's planned space station. The unmanned Shenzhou 8 spacecraft launched yesterday on a mission to locate and latch onto the prototype space lab Tiangong 1, which has been circling Earth since late September. The historic space docking, which would be a first for China, is due to occur sometime Wednesday Eastern Daylight Time (which might make it Thursday local time in China), officials have said.

Might need to take cover again if this doesn't work out!

fruiniulk and GRW like this.
  2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Oh, yes!:cool:

3. Biak

Here is another link that is interesting for following aircraft flights. I watched last Summer as a relative flew cross Country in real time. They were "spooked" when I called and welcomed them home before they were out of the airport parking lot!

FlightAware > Live Flight Tracker

PzJgr likes this.
  4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

5. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Stop it...Just stop it....stop following me around the internet.....While we are at it...does anyone know who Linebacker is? Not the vietnam op...but on skynet 5c there is a copy before obvious encryption of linebacker asking thunder 31 and other thunders for a radio check. Also Linebacker has in past asked same of Blacksmith 10 and varients....Help...? I'm thinking uav comms with yanks using our skynet system as spare bandwidth.

6. Biak

Umm urgh, have you been spending too much time with the sheep lately? There is Brian Urlacher of the Chicago Bears footy ball team, he's a "Linebacker". Other than that I believe your orbiting listening device must have somehow transcended the space-time continuum. Or possibly the Chinese are overriding the transmissions with their new spacelab and dispensing dis-information to averted attention from their even newer Stealth submarine.

7. urqh

8. Biak

Holy Cow! I see, well hear, now what you meant. Just a WAG but possible M6 Linebacker (SRADS), comm's with overhead A-10''s? Can't say anymore than that.

9. urqh

Its always been part of my errrr...hobbies...from RAF days. Oakhanger and Colerne in UK house your own intelsat comms links via paradigm to our skynet sat system. 1001 RAF signals unit used to do the comms together with telstar and Nato satellite links from there before moving to Corsham and setting up the UK paradigm satcom network and handing it all over lock stock and barrel to the civies for MOD use. We sell or barter your lot bandwidth. You gave us reapers and let us play in Creech. We are moving out to our own Waddington airbase soon, but the special relationship is still errr....working....we want, you want...we both get.

10. urqh

Your guys are still there..with our civies acting for RAF. You connect to Skynet system from there also. A landlink to subcable then out to Conus via oakhanger or Colerne. Sat systems are the only thing you will not find cut back in our austere times. The demand for bandwidth is incredible at the moment. Yanks and Brits share technologies and sites. Far more so than the vaunted intelligence networks, although this too can fit into that...the comms links go onward to Creech etc. Video is annalysed at Molesworth...your guys and ours...Digby intel yours and ours have input. And someone in Creech flies over Afghanistan with a joystick in a trailer in a sunny location outside vegas. All good stuff..

11. urqh

Automated Remote Tracking Stations

The Remote Tracking Stations are being modernized with the addition of the Automated Remote Tracking Station (ARTS). ARTSs provide more responsive support and reduce manpower required at each site because the antennas and supporting systems can be controlled by the Mission Control Centers. There are four ARTS installed at the following locations:
    Colorado Tracking Station at Schriever Air Force Base, Colorado. It is used for support of various DoD satellites. Additional equipment has been installed to support the Global Positioning System satellites.
    Thule Tracking Station at Thule Air Force Base, Greenland. The third "side" at Thule is an ARTS.
    Oakhangar Telemetry and Command Station at Oakhangar, Hampshire, England. The second "side" is an ARTS.
    Eastern Vehicle Checkout Facility (EVCF), Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida; callsign BEACH * Test Vehicle Checkout Facility (TVCF), Onizuka Air Force Station, California; callsign YOGI (Bear). Camp Parks Communications Annex at Pleasanton, California. This ARTS is used to test and analyze signals from communications and navigation satellites.

12. urqh

The aircraft radar you are watching...also has a maritime version which might interest you and Historian...Updated...mostly real time...There you go gordon...you can see all the boats around our coast..who, heading...nice pics..And what they do..Including military..

GRW likes this.
  13. urqh

14. urqh

Last one from me....there is loads of junk out there regarding satellite comms and the expansion of systems...An overall good link that actually tells you where we are ging with all this and why is probably this site. Its a good starter for anyone wanting to both follow the money and the future strategic concepts that we both are heading towards.
    UAVs Drive SATCOM Modernization | Defense Media Network

15. Biak

Well Clint, it looks like we have another "something" to keep our eyes on! I was wondering if it would just turn out to be more 'space junk' after the rendezvous and docking attempt.

urgh, thanks for the ship-link. Now instead of sitting here for hours watching an aircraft fly between airports I can sit here for days watching the ship going from port to port! :)

16. urqh

I have a sheep link too mate if your really bored....I'm thinking of linking my breeding girls to a sat link and then watching them when I get home as they move round paddocks....Its going to be fun watching moose my prize girl getting too close to the electric fence....Yes I know....I'll get a life now...

17. Biak

While it is tempting I think I'll stick with the flight tracker for now. But if you ever find a sat' link for following Deer around Northern Minnesota or sat-link surface penetrating radar for Fish, let me know please.

18. urqh

19. Biak

Gee Thanks! I have one of these;
    [​IMG]

But would like something that would tell me if I should even venture outside. Sort of a "Early Warning Fish Are Biting" (EWFAB) system with remote alert signaling device.

20. urqh

I purchased something similar....She cooks as well...