Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For the other Astronuts out there

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by Biak, Nov 2, 2011.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

A lot of food for thought here.
    "Rather than being out on its own, the Earth is at the centre of a giant, 1,000-light-year-wide bubble, created by at least 15 supernova explosions, a new study has found.
    There are thousands of young stars at the edge of this bubble, according to astrophysicists from the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore, Maryland.
    Working with experts from Harvard and Smithsonian, the team reconstructed the evolutionary history of the galactic neighbourhood over 14 million years.
    In the 1970s astronomers discovered Earth was in a cosmic void, after realising no stars had formed in 14 million years, with all stars inside this 'bubble' emerging either before it formed, or passing through on their orbit of the galactic centre.
    The new study found that multiple supernova explosions 14 million years ago blasted materials needed for star formation to the edge of a huge area of space, creating a 'superbubble' that is surrounded by a frenzy of star bursts, but with none inside.
    The team likened the discovery to a Milky Way that resembles a 'hole-y Swiss cheese', where the holes in the cheese are blasted out by supernova, allowing new starts to form in the cheese, around the holes.
    'This is really an origin story; for the first time we can explain how all nearby star formation began,' said astronomer and co-author Catherine Zucker."
    www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10398333/Earth-centre-1-000-light-year-wide-Swiss-cheese-bubble.html

"Astronomers think they've found an 'exomoon' – a moon that exists outside our own solar system – based on data from NASA's Kepler space telescope.
    In a new paper, the experts report the discovery of a mysterious body that is almost three times the size of Earth, which they think is an exomoon.
    It's more than 20,500 miles in diameter, compared with Earth's diameter of 7,900 miles.
    It's orbiting a Jupiter-sized planet called Kepler 1708b in another solar system, 5,500 light-years away from Earth.
    The existence of any exomoon is yet to be officially confirmed, although the first potential candidate was identified four years ago.
    Since exomoons cannot be imaged directly, their presence is inferred when they pass in front of a star, momentarily dimming the star's light."
    www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10398945/Astronomers-report-exomoon-three-times-size-Earth.html

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I told my hillbilly/fundamentalist/moronic cousins that the JWST was actually going to spy on people like them because "we" are afraid Trump won't be able to reverse the 2020 election. There was a lot of "I told ya so!" in my inbox.

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Never mind it's over 800,000 miles away and still going. Oh ,and pointing the wrong way.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Its fully deployed and 71000m away from orbit approx 1 million miles out...The Moon is only 239000 miles away from Earth...The Sun is 94 Million miles from Earth...(And still bloody hot here in Darwin).

Where Is Webb? NASA/Webb

An interesting side line:
    "Wavefront sensing and control was developed to sense and correct any errors in the telescope's optics. This is essential to making the 18 mirror segments work together as a single giant mirror."

A spin off of this:
    The work performed on the telescope optics resulted in a NASA tech spinoff for diagnosing eye conditions and accurate mapping of the eye. This spinoff supports research in cataracts, keratoconus (an eye condition that causes reduced vision), and eye movement - and improvements in the LASIK procedure.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    GRW likes this.
  5. Biak

Kai-Petri likes this.
  6. Carronade

Carronade Ace

And the Earth only intercepts one two-billionth of the Sun's energy.........

7. OpanaPointer

In honor of the JWST's first thirty days I'm reading Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir.

8. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

The JWST will be an outstanding space telescope. It has to be they named it after a Marine!

9. OpanaPointer

So it's designed to carry an interstellar Admiral's luggage?

10. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Could be. In fact, it's Admiral Akbar's stuff.
    [​IMG]

11. OpanaPointer

I don't need to warn you, right?:D

12. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

"It's a Trap!"

OpanaPointer and CAC like this.
  13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

14. Biak

CAC likes this.
  15. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Did the Challenger crew die? (A little shit stirring here..)
    [​IMG]

16. Biak

Did you change your name to Michael Timothy Griffith ?

17. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I take it that is a JFK related comment..?

[​IMG]

18. Biak

19. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Nice archaeology-astronomy crossover here-
    "A SOLAR STORM is thought to have battered Earth around 9,000 years ago, researchers have discovered, after finding evidence of the ancient beast beneath the ice in Greenland and Antarctica.

NASA describes solar storms as bursts of radiation coming from the release of magnetic energy from the Sun. When the biggest solar storms smash into the Earth’s atmosphere on the Sun-facing side, the damage could be significant. But while the most powerful solar storms can be a threat, the storms are common during 11-year sun cycles where the Sun’s magnetic activity is at a maximum.
    But what is so bizarre about the ancient "tsunami" storm, the researchers published in the journal Nature Communications, is that it struck during a solar minimum, when the storms are far less frequent.
    Worryingly, this evidence could suggest that solar storms can hit when we least expect them.
    If these storms come into contact with Earth’s geomagnetic field, radio blackouts and power outages could come about if the flares strike a satellite or transformer."
    www.express.co.uk/news/science/1558683/solar-storm-warning-greenland-antarctica-sun-earth-satellite-blackout

20. OpanaPointer

Who was tracking the comets back then?