Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For Those Interested in Archaeology

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by GRW, Jan 19, 2009.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Briefly partook in archery a lot of years ago, until it aggravated an old shoulder injury and I had to give up. Loved recurves, they were scarily powerful.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I'll never forgive him for inventing shoes.

3. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

52 ?? Hell I’d already been in trouble (several times) before you were even a twinkling’. Driving legally and chasing skirts. Caught a few before you were out of diapers

4. Biak

Wait , this thread is about Old Stuff.
    Oh crap some of us are.

5. OpanaPointer

You don't start growing old until you stop growing up.

6. Biak

Hot Damn I'm going to live Forever !

Or else Die Young.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

People born today may live till they are 400...

8. Biak

Ha ! Those poor Souls.

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I would totally be up for that...

10. GRW

Damn his eyes! Just a short hop from there to the whole farming/living in settlements corporate schtick. Young generation don't want to look for food, oh no; expect it to be handed to them on demand!:_swear:

Biak and OpanaPointer like this.
  11. OpanaPointer

The one out of a million that can keep theirself healthy for that long. I bet there would be a lot of suicides in that fourth century.

12. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Maybe maybe not...The idea is a first for humans, so only psychologists/psychiatrists can give an insight into how it will play out. One thing that allows humans to put up with adversity is the knowledge that "everyone is in the same boat" - So you just put your head down and move forward.
    What happens when "not everyone is in the same boat"? You have the "haves" and "have nots" - Do you think the have nots will tolerate the "chosen" to live centuries? NOPE.
    So these long lived people will have to live apart for their own security.
    Suicide is, in many instances a case of not having sufficient resilience - Sometimes its understandable, so much "real" trauma that the average human cannot be expected to get through.
    But many times its a chemical imbalance and the person's resilience is what makes the difference. Researchers now know that resilience is TAUGHT, usually from parents...Remember (maybe some will) of the story of triplets being separated at birth and being placed into three different families - One upper class - the other middle class and one in a lower socio-economic family...One of the triplets killed themselves in adulthood - Sparking a sensation among those studying the triplets. Genes were probably not the culprit as they shared exactly the same genes...They looked deeper into the families and found two of the triplets were taught resilience from the parents (you pick yourself up, brush off and move on) - One Triplet in the lower socio-economic family had an alcoholic father who taught him little...and it was that triplet who suicided.
    So given these people are taught resilience they should last the whole 400 years...
    BUT
    There s nothing stopping them dying from being shot in the head or run over by a bus. Maybe in the (not so far off future) one can download one's brain and even if death occurs one can download ones brain into a freshly grown replica...(but thats another story).

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  13. GRW

Shades of Zardoz.

14. Biak

I’ll wait until one of those eggheads hits 150 years old.

15. OpanaPointer

I Will Fear No Evil, Robert Anson Heinlein.

GRW likes this.
  16. Biak

I have my head down and continue to drive forever forward.
    Lookout World !!

OpanaPointer likes this.
  17. OpanaPointer

Saturn's Race by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes has an interesting look at immortality for those who can afford it.

18. Biak

Being called "Grand Dad" in your fifties isn't much. Try being called "Sir" in your forties ! And having the damn door opened for you.

19. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

upload_2023-12-20_23-45-44.jpeg

20. GRW

"Archaeologists have made a 'grisly' discovery in Ukraine - leather fashioned from human skin by nomadic warriors 2,000 years ago.
    The artifacts belonged to the ancient Scythians, who originated from Central Asia and were known for ferocity in battle, using innovative weapons.
    Stories have been passed down by the Ancient Greeks, who claimed Scythians removed the skin from the right hand of an enemy and used it to make leather.
    The discovery made by researchers from the University of Copenhagen in Denmark is the first evidence that proves the writings were more than a myth.
    The team found human skin mixed in with that from animals, creating a patchwork-like material that the warrior carried as a trophy.
    The team uncovered 18 burials across 14 different Scythian sites in southern Ukraine, uncovering 45 leather samples.
    The majority of animal skins are derived from the species of goat or sheep, and the others come from carnivorous animals.
    The team believes the predatory animals were tiger, lion, marten, wolverine, otter or hyena.
    Analysis revealed two samples belonged to humans, matching text written by the ancient Greek 'father of history' Herodotus, who penned a book around 430 BC about the Scythians.
    One of the human skin samples was mixed with goat, horse and cattle skin to make a bag that once held arrows.
    And the artifact in the second burial was made with human, sheep, goat and horse skin. "
    Leather made of HUMAN skin by nomadic warriors 2,000 years ago is unearthed in Ukraine in 'grisly' discovery | Daily Mail Online