Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For Those Interested in Archaeology

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by GRW, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Maybe I'm just in an argumentative mind set but, what if the Wooly Mammoth wandered out onto an ice shelf which broke off and starved to death, floating across the Atlantic ocean on an iceberg ? Only to be deposited what thousands of years ago was then several meters/fathoms deep ? Now if the remains where found several kilometers inland that would be a different story.

I know, I know, I'm going to my room now.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Ooh, just to mess with yer 'ead, there was an ice bridge between Britain & Ireland until about 16,000 years ago. Apparently. If I'm reading this right, that would be between Galloway & Ulster.
    Prehistoric Britain - Wikipedia

Biak likes this.
  4. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

When the ice caps were expanded to their fullest extend the English Channel didn't exist. Water levels were too low.

5. GRW

Interesting one from the Doggerland Project-
    "A research team from the University of Reading, led by Professor Martin Bell, has been working for the last 33 years to record eroding Mesolithic archaeology from the seabed of the Severn Estuary at Goldcliff, near Newport (see CA 331 and 367). One of the most recent developments was the discovery of the remains of a 7,000-year-old fish trap – the first of this period to be discovered in Britain.
    With swiftly moving tides rushing in and out of the estuary each day, the team – working as part of a project partly funded by the National Geographic Society – have only a small window during their visits in which to get to the site, record any exposed archaeology, and excavate any finds. In the spring of last year, a line of wooden stakes was found, but the team did not have the time to document them in detail. The estuary bed is a constantly changing environment, so they had to hope that, when the site was exposed at the next extreme low tide, the fragile archaeology would still be there and not have been covered by silt or worn away by rushing water in the intervening weeks. Luck was on their side.
    When the team were finally able to return, they were able to record the feature in its entirety, as well as to excavate several of the stakes for further analysis. They were then able to confirm that the line of stakes was probably part of a fish trap and would have once formed a V-shaped wattle fence in the middle of a river, where fish and eels, coming down with the retreating tide, would have become trapped.
    Further finds emerged last autumn when a series of storms helped to expose a large number of previously unrecorded Mesolithic footprints, including those of cranes, deer, and aurochs (an extinct wild cow), as well as many humans. These add to the 350 human footprints that have been identified at Goldcliff over the years, each providing unique insights into how Mesolithic communities used the landscape, and showing how they moved between the waterside and temporary campsites on a neighbouring island. Several of these camps have been excavated over the years, including the remains of hearths laid with heat-fractured stones.
    Commenting on the discovery (which features in the latest series of Digging for Britain), Martin said: ‘Many footprints belonged to children, some as young as four, showing that they played an active part in the daily life of Mesolithic communities. In places, lines of footprints moving in both directions mark footpaths leading from campsites at the island edge to the channel where the traps were located. The footprints show how individual camps and activity areas are connected as parts of a living landscape.’"
    Mesolithic fish trap found in the Severn Estuary | The Past (the-past.com)

Biak and OpanaPointer like this.
  6. OpanaPointer

I used explosives...

7. Biak

I wonder what the odds are of finding/discovering ancient artifacts?

8. OpanaPointer

A that location? Hard to tell.

I was pretending to dig in Ancient Egypt when I was a kid. There was a brick house that had suffered a fire MANY years ago, leaving just the walls. I dug randomly around the floor and hit on a jar full of coins. Newest one was from 1887. (This is 1963.) I made the mistake of showing it to my Mom and she took the find and said she'd have it evaluated. Never saw it again, she refused to answer any questions about it. The tuition was high but I hadn't really lost anything so I let it go.

9. Biak

If you were digging in Ancient Egypt you're a lot older than I would have thought.

10. OpanaPointer

Missed the "pretend"?

Biak likes this.
  11. Biak

I miss a lot of things !

12. OpanaPointer

I miss rock and roll.

Speaking of which, if you want to have some giggles search for "reactors" on Youtube. All kinds of young people have never hear "Thunderstuck", and they be trippin'!!!

CAC likes this.
  13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Funniest reaction I can remember was 3 black teens watching Michael Jackson for the first time…they thought all his little sounds were funny…

OpanaPointer likes this.
  14. OpanaPointer

Unchained Melody, soooo much soul.

Biak likes this.
  15. Biak

"Ships that don't come in" ! Wrong sub forum but induces melancholy.

16. GRW

"Archaeologists have discovered about 8,600-year-old bread at Çatalhöyük, a Neolithic settlement in central Turkey.
    Catalhoyuk is noteworthy because it is one of the first human proto-cities to have been built. Full of densely packed mud brick houses covered in paintings and symbolic decorations, its population hovered around 8,000. That made it one of the biggest settlements of its era, somewhere between an outsized village and a tiny city. People, mud-brick homes through ceiling doors, and they navigated sidewalks that wound around the city’s rooftops.
    Archaeologists have discovered an oven structure in the area called “Mekan 66”. Around the largely destroyed oven, wheat, barley, pea seeds, and a handful find that could be food were found.
    Analyses conducted at Necmettin Erkaban University Science and Technology Research and Application Center (BITAM) determined that the spongy residue was fermented bread from 6600 B.C.
    Head of the Excavation Committee and Anadolu University Faculty Member Associate Professor Ali Umut Türkcan told the AA correspondent that when “archaeology” is mentioned, structures, monuments, and finds come to mind."
    Archaeologists Discover 8600-year-old Bread at Çatalhöyük May be the Oldest Bread in the World - Arkeonews

OpanaPointer likes this.
  17. GRW

And another one-
    "Scientists have uncovered what they believe to be the world’s oldest fossil forest – dating back 390 million years – in the high sandstone cliffs along the Devon and Somerset coast.
    The fossilised trees are palm-like in appearance but would have had thin trunks with hollow centres, researchers say.
    The remains were discovered in the Hangman Sandstone Formation near Minehead, close to a Butlin’s holiday camp.
    This fossil forest is around four million years older than the previous record holder – found in a sandstone quarry in the town of Cairo in New York State.
    Researchers from the Universities of Cambridge and Cardiff said these ancient plants – called Calamophyton – would have been “prototypes” of modern-day trees.
    They would also have been quite short, somewhere between two and four metres tall, with branches covered in hundreds of twig-like structures instead of leaves.
    Professor Neil Davies, from Cambridge’s Department of Earth Sciences, said: “This was a pretty weird forest – not like any forest you would see today."
    ‘World’s oldest fossil forest’ discovered in cliffs on south coast of England (msn.com)

CAC likes this.
  18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

This is the "Daintree" - Still here...180 million years old...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OpanaPointer likes this.
  19. OpanaPointer

Looks like Fern Gully.

CAC likes this.
  20. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Well well aren't we up with it?
    Ferntree Gully...
    [​IMG]
    Ferntree is in Victoria...Daintree is in Queensland.