Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For Those Interested in Archaeology

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by GRW, Jan 19, 2009.

1. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I could be in Darwin right now.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Wish you were mate...Shes a bit hot this time of the year though. Storms every afternoon...

3. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

That's a bit gorgeous.

CAC likes this.
  4. OpanaPointer

Ex-pat friends live in Palmerston. He's some kind of computer genius. I just like the US too much to move at age 73.

5. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

From my part of Australia this is Rum Jungle - About an hour down the track. The place was once a Uranium mine.
    [​IMG]

Rum Jungle Uranium mine:
    [​IMG]

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Hey we have free health care...
    And TRUMP may get back in...I'll save a taxi for you at the airport.

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Gunlom falls - When i was a kid we used to swim here when it was known as UDP falls...What does UDP stand for? Uranium Development Program - Oh well.
    [​IMG]

8. OpanaPointer

I'll be the highly-pissed off guy.

9. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I'll keep my eyes peeled...
    [​IMG]

And cock an ear too...

OpanaPointer likes this.
  10. OpanaPointer

I SAID NO PICTURES!!!!!

11. GRW

Ah...that explains your healthy glow.....:p:D

CAC likes this.
  12. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Just for general information and to relieve CAC of the heat Down Under : Its currently 28 degrees here. I assume that's something like minus 2 or 3C . Actually it's kind of nice, don't need a winter jacket and the Sun is shining.

13. GRW

It's 41F here at the moment. No idea what that is in the modern crap.

Biak likes this.
  14. OpanaPointer

Absolutely NOT the Eye of Sauron.

[​IMG]

The Crew-8 Nebula
    Image Credit & Copyright: Michael Seeley

Explanation: Not the James Webb Space Telescope's latest view of a distant galactic nebula, this cloud of gas and dust dazzled spacecoast skygazers on March 3. The telephoto snapshot was taken minutes after the launch of a Falcon 9 rocket on the SpaceX Crew-8 mission to the International Space Station. It captures plumes and exhaust from the separated first and second stages, a drifting Rorschach pattern in dark evening skies. The bright spot near bottom center within the stunning terrestrial nebulosity is the second stage engine firing to carry 4 humans to space in the Crew Dragon spacecraft Endeavour. In sharp silhouette just above it is the Falcon 9 first stage booster orienting itself for return to a landing zone at Cape Canaveral, planet Earth. This reuseable first stage booster was making its first flight. But the Crew Dragon Endeavour capsule has flown humans to low Earth orbit and back again 4 times before. Endeavour, as a name for a spacecraft, has also seen reuse, christening retired Space Shuttle Endeavour and the Apollo 15 command module.

Tomorrow's picture: distant galactic nebula

15. GRW

"A low tide on a Cornish beach has revealed the trunks, stumps and roots of an ancient forest that's at least 4,000 years old.
    Winter storms shifted sands in Mount's Bay, meaning when the sea withdrew further than usual this week, it revealed the remnants of prehistoric trees.
    The forest in Mount's Bay has been known for centuries with St Michael’s Mount’s original name in Cornish being ‘Karrek Loos yn Koos’, meaning ‘Grey Rock in the Wood'.
    But the peat beds that contain the remnants of the forest floor are only revealed every so often."
    Tree trunks, stumps and roots from ancient submerged forest that's at least 4,000-years-old are uncovered on Cornish beach after lowest tide of the year | Daily Mail Online

OpanaPointer likes this.
  16. GRW

"Researchers working in the Horn of Africa, also known as the Somali Peninsula have uncovered evidence showing how Middle Stone Age humans survived in the wake of the eruption of Toba, one of the largest supervolcanoes in history, some 74,000 years ago.
    Modern humans dispersed from Africa multiple times, but the event that led to global expansion occurred less than 100,000 years ago. Some researchers hypothesize that dispersals were restricted to “green corridors” formed during humid intervals when food was abundant and human populations expanded in lockstep with their environments.
    But a new study in Nature led by scientists at The University of Texas at Austin suggests that humans also may have dispersed during arid intervals along “blue highways” created by seasonal rivers. Researchers also found stone tools that represent the oldest evidence of archery.
    The research team examined a site called Shinfa-Metema 1 located in the lowlands of northwest Ethiopia near the Shinfa River, a tributary of the Blue Nile. They found evidence that this site was occupied during a period when the devastating Toba supervolcano erupted in Sumatra 74,000 years ago. Tiny fragments of volcanic glass, or cryptotephra, recovered from the archaeological deposits matched the chemical signature of the Toba eruption.
    The Shinfa-Metema 1 site, shows humans were occupying the site before and after the volcano erupted more than 4,000 miles away."
    Researchers Found Evidence in Ethiopia of a Human Population that Survived the Eruption of the Toba Supervolcano 74,000 Years Ago - Arkeonews

17. OpanaPointer

They've found cryptotephra in the remains of dead people at Pompeii and Herculaneum. Mega nasty way to die.

18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

19. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

20. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades