Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

For Those Interested in Archaeology

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by GRW, Jan 19, 2009.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"A 2,000-year-old Roman villa with stunning mosaics and painted walls has been unearthed on land destined to become a housing estate.
    Archaeologists from the Red River Archaeology Group made what they called a "remarkable" discovery after working on a Barratt and David Wilson Homes site near Wantage, Oxfordshire.
    The area where the houses are being built is known is have been inhabited since the Bronze Age and the new villa find has been dated to the first century AD.
    Work on the dig is continuing and it is believed the villa structure is connected to an "aisled building" which could be some form of monumental hall built as a place of worship or pilgrimage."
    Pretty English town where archaeologists have just made a 'remarkable' discovery | UK | News | Express.co.uk

Biak likes this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Good place to dig up a date?

3. GRW

She used to be an archaeologist, but her career's in ruins.

4. OpanaPointer

They built 'em, she wrecked 'um.

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Wouldn't it be unique if the new building resembled the original structure but with modern interiors?

6. OpanaPointer

I think the glass windows would ruin the effect.

7. Biak

Who said anything about Windows? We got electricity to illuminate the inside. And those miniature camera thingies to peak outside.

8. OpanaPointer

Roman houses had windows. Leave the glass out and you wind up in a century with a hardnosed centurion.

9. GRW

Bet the projected prices have just had an extra zero added.
    Same happened in Stirling in the '80s; the local archaeologist discovered the Roman road ran through three back gardens in one of the affluent suburbs. About a year later, one of them went up for sale at £1M and made a great show of the fact there was a Roman road on the property.

Biak likes this.
  10. GRW

Always been fascinated by this kind of stuff.
    "Scientists often warn about the wild weather caused by climate change.
    In fact, history shows that entire settlements can be engulfed by intense storms and heaving waves that intensify coastal erosion.
    Now, MailOnline's incredible new interactive map pinpoints these 'lost lands' dotted around Britain, from 'Yorkshire's Atlantis' to the lush plains of Doggerland.
    These British settlements are far from mythical, as the historical records and physical evidence offer proof that they definitely existed.
    In some cases, scientists are on a dedicated quest to find what's left of them."
    Britain's forgotten sunken lands: Incredible interactive map reveals the ancient islands swallowed by the sea - from 'Yorkshire's Atlantis' to Doggerland | Daily Mail Online

Biak and OpanaPointer like this.
  11. Biak

Want to talk about a weird coincidence ? I just read today that the heating of the Earth ; Could, May, Might, Possibly , Maybe, flood parts of Chicago Illinois. Not that that would be a great loss. Wisconsin is welcome to what's left.

GRW likes this.
  12. OpanaPointer

As long as they move 505 before she's lost...

13. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

14. Biak

S

She was made to sink! They might need to repair the door in it's side though. And as far as the ' Dooms Day Apocalypse ' article : It's only a few feet :rolleyes: if that. 505 will still be above Lake Michigan water level.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  15. OpanaPointer

No, she was made to float below sea level. The difference is critical. :p

Reminds me of a day on USS REEVES. I was top watch and always made a lap of the engineroom, both levels, before taking the watch. This day I was on the lower level and noticed a seawater leak on a rubber expansion joint in the 42" cooling water supply to the main steam turbines. The Pacific was supposed to stay INSIDE the piping. It wasn't. I asked the guy on watch if everything was copacetic and he just nodded, half asleep. I went into screaming petty officer mode and he wasn't sleepy any more. We were one "oh fuck" from flooding our engine room, reducing ship's propulsion by half. Not good when you're trying to keep up with carriers.

I had words with EVERYBODY the next day.

CAC likes this.
  16. GRW

Wonder if there was ever much doubt.
    "DNA evidence proves that Greeks are indeed descendants of the Mycenaeans, who ruled mainland Greece and the Aegean Sea from 1,600 BC to 1,200 BC.
    The evidence comes from a well-publicized 2017 study in which scientists analyzed the genes from the teeth of nineteen people across various archaeological sites within mainland Greece and Crete.
    Those included ten Minoans from Crete dating from 2900 BC to 1700 BC, four Mycenaeans from the archaeological site at Mycenae and other cemeteries on the Greek mainland dating from 1700 BC to 1200 BC., and five people from other early farming or Bronze Age (5400 BC. to 1340 BC) cultures in Greece and Turkey.
    By comparing 1.2 million letters of genetic code, the researchers, who published their study in the journal, Nature, were able to plot how the individuals were related to each other.
    After comparing the DNA of modern Greeks to ancient Mycenaeans, a genetic overlap was discovered that suggests that these ancient Bronze Age civilizations laid the genetic groundwork for later peoples."
    Greeks Are Descendants of the Mycenaeans, DNA Study Confirms - GreekReporter.com

17. OpanaPointer

I'm shocked!

Now I gotta read your post.

18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Early Greece and Italy is fascinating, how many groups occupied Italy including the Greeks...

19. OpanaPointer

Yeah, history gets written at the chokepoints often as not.

20. GRW

"A dentist caught a huge surprise when he visited his parents' house and spotted a familiar bit of anatomy embedded into the corridor of their newly renovated home.
    The freshly laid tile appeared to contain a human jawbone, just inside the threshold that leads out to the terrace, according to a post on Reddit where he shared the find.
    Reddit is rife with fake posts, but multiple experts confirmed to DailyMail.com that this really does appear to be a jawbone, and that it probably belonged to either a modern human (Homo sapiens) or, more likely, an extinct hominin like Homo erectus or a Neanderthal.
    And if the fossil belonged to one of these ancient human ancestors, it is anywhere from 24 thousand to 1.9 million years old."
    Jawdropping discovery: Remains of extinct human species that died thousands of years ago found in kitchen floor tiles | Daily Mail Online