Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

From my family...

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by f6fhellcat, Jul 13, 2011.

1. f6fhellcat

f6fhellcat Member

About a decade ago, my grandfather died in the Philippines. Back then, all I knew about him was that he was fun to hang out with. It was only later that I found out that he was a soldier that was in Luzon when the Japanese arrived. As far as I know, he was a POW until the Americans came back to the Philippines. Recently, on a trip back to our old house in Tarlac, I found some of his stuff. Two flight caps and a badge. There was also a picture of him when he was in San Diego. All of this stuff was given to him after the war in recognition of his service. It may not be directly from the war, but at least it's related to it. Besides, aside from the memories I have of playing with him when I was a kid, this is all I have to remember my grandfather by.

P.S.: I saw a lot of WWII stuff available in a store in Manila. Helmets, some medals, and even money from what I think is the U.S. occupation of Japan. If you're ever in the Philippines, go and check it out.

View attachment 13655

Attached Files:

2. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

Thanks for sharing your memories and pictures.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Nice familly relics they are. I hope you'll keep them as a tribute to your relative.

4. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Thanks for sharing these photos and your grandfather's story. I had a relative who was KIA on Luzon during the retaking of the Philippines, so it is very special to me to see your post. Thank you. :)