Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Fury (2014)

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Deelite, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Bundesluftwaffe

Bundesluftwaffe New Member

@

USMCPrice

Thanks, I already thought that over and came to the conclusion you explained. Maybe I also had pictures of 6th army @ Stalingrad in my mind, but this army was doomed had no supply,cold russian winter etc. But still I remember some movies in which even their uniforms were clean after heavy fighting. But I am nitpicking (sp?) I guess :)

2. André7

André7 Active Member

Saw it two days ago on BlueRay. The cast is good. The production values (art direction, sfx, etc. are excellent). It is a dirty, dirty movie. Watched the deleted and alternate scenes. They did a really smart thing in chosing takes that were not too over emotional. One senses that these guys are close to the edge without this being stated overtly. Also I am so glad they cut the Sargent's background story about how he got his burns.

I could have done without the score by Steven Price. Arggh! Where is Christopher Young when you need him? This movie was tailer made for his sensitivities.

3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Yeah, paid 5 bucks for 48 hr rental. They want 2 dollars more for a higher definition. ..pffft...
    -That I can't watch a crappy movie again beyond 48 hrs is another reason cable will die, hopefully like all of hollywood.
    Private Ryan was way better. ...
    That said, of the tanks that went out , it looked like there may have been several models.
    Fury looked to me like a Firefly with the 90.
    Then there were 2 other Sherman tanks. One with a longer barrel, but no attachment to end of barrel- (76mm?), and another which will say is the short 75, which had good HE and was called upon when encountering troops.

Also the last stand, would seem they should have pulled all the ammo for the .30 into the tank so they would not have had to go out during battle. duh.

And for the writer/ hull gunner: ..who wouldn't ask how every component in that tank worked, let alone the machine-gun. If the tank crew was so experienced, why'd they let junior ride without giving some useful info.

Also have a hard time thinking Pitt is a tough guy. Everybody knows Jolie wears the pants in that family.

4. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

She pees standing up...he sits.

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

And, they (US) should have started shooting a little farther away- weren't they (SS) marching in double file, walked right up to the tank in a straight line. ..Should have used shot (did they have that)- turkey shoot, and the .50. Then get in the tank and use the .30 and grenades when they get closer. ..Hard to believe SS would behave as shown.
    And a tank with a lost tread on a good road- would there be no movement available at all?
    And what is the point of firing an MG42 at a tank, unless there is a human target.

And how aboot that Shia Labouf? Heard he pulled out that tooth with some pliers. Now that is commitment. Would bet he plays that card again sometime soon.

6. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Havent seen the movie...but a lost tread probably would stop a tank...the wheels just move the tread...
    You can aim for the little slits with your machine gun....i remember a super dart shoot (army video range) and a tank was heading straight for us along with troops either side...i took out four near the tank then pumped two mags into the slit on the tank...scored zero for the tank : (
    Still came second for the shoot...if only i hadnt wasted two mags on the bloody tank!

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Im aboot to watch it again. My 48 is running out.
    Do you guys not have the release yet CA- let us know how you compare PR vs Fury. Am curious, if anyone else would like to comment.

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

We got the movie...I'm just terrible at watching them...can't watch Brad Pitt for two hours, yet to see one of his...

9. Wittmann007

Wittmann007 New Member

regarding the final battle scene. Were the Fury crew behind German lines? Because if the Germans were in the American controlled area. Would they
    really be singing and marching like that? Then there is the fact that they were singing like that but not one were shown to be singing. The close ups of the
    marching column not one soldier is even opening their mouth.

Did kind of like when they first approach the tank. The main column is still farther back while a group of around 20 start to inspect the tank. I blame that
    officer for the fiasco mostly. (looked like a Captain) He is waving his men forward instead of using caution.

10. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

The singing, I believe, is a theatrical score, not the soldiers actually singing. I remember it reminded me of Tarantino scene.

11. Wittmann007

Wittmann007 New Member

But Norman heard them singing. And when he ran back to the tank and told the crew the Germans were coming, the crew said
    maybe the Germans want to surrender but Norman says they were singing and looking like they want to fight.

But that brings to mind, When WarDaddy is deciding to stay, he hears the Germans and says that is a GD SS Battalion.
    lol, how would he know that by just hearing them.

so if the Germans were behind American lines, doubt they would be marching and singing like that.

12. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Your probably right. Maybe I subconsciously realized that scene and the subsequent scene was utter nonsense but just wanted to like the movie.

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Yeah, they were singing.
    Wouldn't the advance scouts have seen the tank, stayed hidden and send some forward observers in order to decide the tank was actually knocked out. Not just walk straight up to a dangerous situation.
    And wouldn't the half track take the lead, rather than in back- seeings as that was their heaviest equipment.

Also, the only time Fury used the floor escape hatches was when everybody was almost dead. Would have been better to use that to gather the .30 ammo they stupidly forgot to bring into the tank.
    And would 2 high explosive grenades tossed into a closed turret cause a Ronson effect?

14. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

I am very weary of watching it again. I may possibly appreciate it more or catch some things I missed, I just hope the positives outweighs the negatives.

15. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I wouldn't pay to watch again.
    PR was such a better movie. It portrayed tragedy without as much frontal violence, if that makes any sense. We didn't see the brothers die, but that was the big heart tug.
    Fury went with "see hero die".

Fury may have also tried to immitate "the coward" which PR did so well.

CAC likes this.
  16. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Wonder if I can just fast forward to the tank in combat scenes and loop them.

17. USS Washington

USS Washington Active Member

Watched Fury the other day on the flight home home from Acapulco(Was an awesome vacation, btw :cool:), and I thought it was a pretty good movie, definitely goes out of it's way to not glamorize war, though from the comments on this thread, it seems to be a love it-or-hate it kind of movie among history buffs, though that's better than being universally panned like Pearl Harbor. ;)

18. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

My wife went with me on the condition that I wouldn't say anything until after we'd left the theater.

USS Washington likes this.
  19. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

She oviously learned after seeing the new Pearl Harbor harbor movie with you? :)

20. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Never saw it. Violence would have happened.

USS Washington likes this.