Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Fury (2014)

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by Deelite, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I'm well aware about the fact that I'd like to go and see it , but that's another matter.

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

If you want to see a stunning example of how badly Hollywood can mess up a film, watch Kingdom of Heaven. The Theater version is "OK" but the directors cut version (in my opinion) rates up there with one of those old David Lean films - Lawrence of Arabia, perhaps.

Sorry for going off topic... I'm looking forward to seeing any version of Fury. Just hoping there is a longer directors cut I can enjoy later.

4. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Granted a Studio can water down a film, then again a "Heavens Gate" can kill a studio as well. We all want a 'pure' war film, unfortunately such a animal is almost never going to be made because the likelihood of it making money is so slim.

I too hope to see it this Saturday.

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Yeah. Most peeps I know use Putlocker and watch all the new movies for free (not me, old computer won't allow an enjoyable experience)...Death to Hollywood. I'm ok with that. Let's have independent people make amazing movies on a computer. Goodbye Cruise, Travolta, Smith, and all the bloated ego's, casting couch, evil money grubbing, people destroying industry that was hollywood.
    Looks like music is facing the same issue. Great. No more payola. If I like your music or movie, will buy it...Why did those polished turds known as U2 give their new album away? Wonder how starving musicians feel about that.

oops. Fury. Back on topic.

6. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Ha

7. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

I think U2 got 20 million for the album...the Music app gave it away for free...Not many people wanted the free album...or even knew who U2 were. Many products are moving to "free" and they get their money back with the products they can sell of the back of it...U2 should retire before alzheimers and osteoperosis set in...

8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

9. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Yeah. Apple paid them handsomely to invade the dreaded "cloud".

10. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Ah, the cloud. Sorry J Law, had to look. You is fine.

11. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

OK, so I went to see it this afternoon. Nice, early showing in a half-empty good-sized cinema without people eating lunch, checking their i-phones, etc.

Glad to have seen it, but I can't wholeheartedly recommend it. The script in places is just awful, trotting out every cliche you can think of. And, IMPO, the 'war-weary combat team' was portrayed far more convincingly in 'The Bridge At Remagen' from 1968. The obligatory final scene struck me as 'Blackhawk Down'-style wish-fulfilment. ( Oh, and I'd've turned an MG42 on that choir.... :grumble: )

That's the bad news. There is good news ! :S!

I'd rate it as the best portrayal of armour yet done on screen ( beating 'White Tiger' ). The tanks look and sound real, and the action sequences are very good indeed. The involvement of Bruce Crompton and his team is evident in the accuracy of weapons and kit ( there are some gems for the enthusiast such as a glimpse of a Hi-Speed Tractor, PaK 40s, panzerfausts - and Brad Pitt totes a 'captured' MP44 throughout ). I thought the scene with the Tiger pretty good, too - it actually gave me an idea of how it must have felt seeing your own shells bouncing off the thing while knowing that one hit from the 88 could finish you ).

So there it is - certainly not a classic, but also a little bit more than a 'popcorn movie'. And the above are strictly my opinions - others may feel very differently about it.

Now - where's that MG42................................. :pPmp40fire:

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The Beast- turn 3d and annotations off in settings.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoeorteQtRg

13. KJ Jr

KJ Jr Well-Known Member

Interesting take. I agree with much of what you said, the climax in particular. The ending was very far fetched and, at times, just plain ridiculous. Offensive antitank squad tactics anyone. Regardless, the armor scenes indeed left my heart pounding.

14. Pacifist

Pacifist Active Member

Just saw it.

Overall a good film but certainly not one of the greats. Good effects and authentic equipment.
    As some stated it makes use of a great number of cliches. I see this mainly because the cliches did actually happen.
    Just not all at once. The problem is they had to cram as many of them as possible in a 2 hour film.

I had to keep reminding myself through out that people make stupid choices all the time. Even more so when
    people are shooting at them and the adrenaline is flowing. That was my mantra during the last fight scene.

The halftrack fight scene just hurt me when he told the entire crew to get out of the tank.

Overall a lot of realism that in the end was sacrificed to allow a dramatic final fight.

One thing I did enjoy was the proper use of WP rounds.

15. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

Just back from the theater, just one word as a comment: R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S! Nearly as unrealistic as "Inglorious Bastards". This movie is as accurate portraying April 1945 in Germany as Star Wars is telling the story of NASA's Apollo Program.
    Only + is the tanks and vehicles, but then I better watch a video of "Tanks in Town" or Beltring.

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Often go to Rotten Tomatoes. Find a reviewer who matches your tastes. It has rarely done me wrong.
    In reviewing the reviews (yes that doesn't sound right), found that some of the reviews differed vastly. Which isn't really surprising. Monique didn't like it.
    Inglorious Bastid's started out great, but degenerated into complete crap. Think we can all agree on that.

17. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I did find myself wondering why there were no pine trees, and the countryside looked reassuringly familiar.....it was only after I got home that I found out the entire movie was shot in the UK !

SKYLINEDRIVE likes this.
  18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

No pine trees in the UK ? So how do they celebrate Christmas? :huh:

19. SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE Member

I was rather talking about the events then the landscape.

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

So was I , It's a joke . :drink_a_pint: