Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Generaloberst Erich Hoepner

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Kai-Petri, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

[​IMG]

Erich Hoepner

1886-1944

14. September 1886: Erich Hoepner is born in Frankfurt/Oder as a son of the medical officer Kurt Hoepner and its Mrs. Elisabeth (geb. Kienast).

March 1905: After the Abitur entrance as Fahnenjunker into the Dragoon regiment No. 13 in Metz.

February 1906: Appointment as the second lieutenant.

In 1910 Hoepner marries Irma Gebauer. Two children.

Company leader and as a general staff officer in the First World War.

In the Weimar Republic Hoepner becomes a ride master , and later on ascends to Colonel.In 1933 Hoepner becomes a Chief of Staff in the military district command I in king mountain (today: Kaliningrad/Russland).

Transfer into the general staff of the army to Berlin in 1935.

1936 :Appointment as the major general.

September: On the high point of the Sudetenkrise Hoepner makes himself available to Franz Halder , who plans a coup d'etat and the arrest of Hitler in the case of a German declaration of war to Czechoslovakia. The agreement in Munich changes the plans.
    Hoepner becomes lieutenant general and commander of the motorized XVI. army corps.

Transport to the general of the Kavallerie.
    In March 1939 Hoepner succeeded Heinz Guderian as head of the 16th Army Corps .
    September/October: participates in the German assault on Poland .
    Receives the Knight´s Cross.

[​IMG]

May/June: Participation in the German west offensive against France.
    July: Becomes colonel general.

22. June: Hoepner is commander of the group of tanks of 4 in operation Barbarossa.

October: takes part in the battle of Wjasma , in order to introduce a frontal attack on Moscow.

7. January: In order to avoid unnecessary losses among its exhausted troops, Hoepner ignores arranges a tactical retreat. Due to his behavior Hitler sacks him because of "cowardice and disobedience". The right to carry uniform and medals are denied, Hoepner was publicly humiliated in an order of the day.
    Hoepner withdraws to Berlin.After protests from senior figures in the German Army, Hoepner was able to retain his pension rights.

1942-1944
    With Beck, Friedrich Olbricht and count von Stauffenberg has close contact for military opposition and is into the revolution plans of the conspirators against Hitler .

20 July: After the failed assassination attempt on Hitler he is arrested .
    Hoepner was designated to take over command of the home forces, should General Fromm prove unreliable, and was also considered for the post of Minister of War in a new provisional government.

8. August: In the people's court Roland Freisler condemns him to death by hanging. On 8 August 1944, he was hanged by wire suspended from meathooks at Plotzensee prison in Berlin.

---------

HOEPNER, Erich (RK)
    (1886 - 1944)
    Generaloberst:
    Born: 14. 09. 1886 in Frankfurt am Oder.
    Hanged: 8. 08. 1944 in Berlin-Plötzensee Prison.
    Promotions:
    Gen.Obst.: 19.07.40; Gen.d.Kav.: 1.04.39; Gen.Lt.: 30.01.38 (Patent 1.08.37); Gen.Maj.: 1.01.36; Oberst: 1.02.33; Obstlt.: 1.04.30; Major: 1.02.26; Hptm.: 18.06.15; Oblt.: ; Lt.: 18.08.06 (Patent 15.02.05); Fahnenjunker: 1905.
    Assignments:
    Oberbefehlshaber 4.Panzer-Armee: 5. 10. 1941 - . 01. 1942.
    Kom.Gen. Panzergruppe 4: 22. 06. 1941 - [4. 10. 1941?]
    Kom.Gen. XVI.Armee-Korps: 24. 11. 1938 - [21. 06. 1941?]
    Kdr. 1.Leichte Div.: 1. 10. 1938 -
    German Resistance Involvement & People's Court Trial:
    Decorations & Awards:
    Ritterkreuz des E.K.: 27. 10. 1939;
    Ritterkreuz zum Hausorden von Hohenzollern mit Schwertern: (WW I);
    Ritterkreuz des Württembergeischen Friedrichsordens 2. Klasse mit Schwertern: (WW I);
    1939 Spange zum 1914 EK I: 09./10.1939; 1939 Spange zum 1914 EK II (09./10.1939); 1914 EK I; 1914 EK II;
    Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer;
    Wehrmacht-Dienstauszeichnungen;

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/GERhoepner.htm

http://home.attbi.com/~bobahop/HopGeneral.html

http://motlc.wiesenthal.com/albums/palbum/p13/a0661p1.html

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

More great info. Darn shame he was caught and hung. I wonder what kind of a really and VERY ill mind--that can think of hanging a person and doing so by piano wire. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I thought particularly of Hoepner when I visited Plotzensee Prison. There is a photo somewhere of him at his trial being made to wear ill-fitting old clothes, but with an expression of extreme contempt on his face.

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The second picture of Hoepner was in several books as the General in the western front who publicly showed his hate towards " Totenkopf" Waffen-SS division.

I´m totally shocked that generals like him could be thrown away so easily?! So far I get the idea he was among names like Model, Guderian etc.

:eek:

5. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Erich Hoeppner was indeed one of the best German generals and Panzer leaders there were, even if conservative and from the 'hard line'.

[​IMG]

I think he would have earned his field marshal batton if he would have continued in service.

I have some nice pictures of him. If interested, send me a PM. ;)

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

One "almost" forgotten German General here...

7. Stevin

Stevin Ace

Hitler's, Carl....who else? It was his order to hang him like that....

8. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Yes, and Hitler had also those hangings filmed and he loved to watch them...if I recall correctly even Göbbels could not watch those films, he had to leave almost immediately the "show" started....

9. Sturmkreuz

Sturmkreuz Member

From which source this is?

I know from documentaries and survivors, that Hitler loved to watch old movies, he really loved watching movies. I thought (I'll check again) that he always saw atleast one movie each night.

10. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I think this has been mentioned in several places in books etc.

Here´s one ( the fastest...):

"The executions and trials were reportedly filmed and later reviewed by Hitler and his entourage. A version of these films was later combined into a 30 minute movie by Goebbels and also shown to cadets at the Lichterfelde cadet school but viewers supposedly walked out of the screening in disgust."

from

July 20 Plot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also if you want to see more on Plötzensee just check the name with the search function.