Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German aircraft fallen at sea, south of Barcelona, October 1943

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by CASTELL, Sep 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. CASTELL

CASTELL New Member

Hello everyone
    I ask you to help me to a subject that I do not know well enough. I am specialized in naval history, but I found an air incident in Spanish waters south of Barcelona about a german aircraft. I do not know where can I find some information.

On 10 October 1943, a Spanish ship, rescued four German pilots who were adrift 12 miles off the Spanish coast.

The name of the pilots were:

• Huber Link
    • Hans Golle
    • Erns Schueter
    • Heinz Voskachulter

They landed in Barcelona the same day but the incident must have happened a day or two earlier.

The reports do not mention the aircraft type or origin. Perhaps He-111?

Someone would kindly tell me where I can consult what kind of aircraft it was, his unit, and if anyone knows what mission should be doing?
    Thanks in advance
    Greetings.
    Josep

2. TiredOldSoldier

TiredOldSoldier Ace

October 1943 rules out a communication flight with Vichy North Africa and, as the He 111 was mostly used as a transport by then, I would go for a Ju 88 variant or a floatplane on a recon mission, though a flight directed to Barcelona itself is possible. The Germans used the 111 in "civilian" markings for such flights but a four man crew is large if there were no gunners. There are some good listings of day by day German aircraft losses, unfortunately the books by Shores and Massimello I have ends in March 1943, does anyone have anything for the later period ?

3. CASTELL

CASTELL New Member

Many thanks for the reply.
    Certainly there are numerous possibilities on the subject. How say you, I do not think that it was a civil flight, with 4 crew. I wait for new publications by Shores and Massimello.
    Greetings