Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

German Nuclear Bomb

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by alanlittle, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Source please?

Plan
    The Amerikabomber project plan was completed on April 27, 1942, and submitted to Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring on May 12, 1942. The 33-page plan was discovered in Potsdam by Olaf Groehler, a German historian. Ten copies of the plan were made, with six going to different Luftwaffe offices and four held in reserve. The plan specifically mentions using the Azores as a transit airfield to reach the United States. If utilized, the Heinkel He 277,[4] Junkers Ju 390, and the Messerschmitt Me 264 could reach American targets with a 3 tonne, 5 tonne, and 6.5 tonne payload respectively.[2] Although it is apparent that the plan itself deals only with an attack on American soil, it is possible the Nazis saw other interrelated strategic purposes for the Amerikabomber project. According to military historian James P. Duffy, Hitler "saw in the Azores the ... possibility for carrying out aerial attacks from a land base against the United States ... [which in turn would] force it to build up a large antiaircraft defense."[2] The anticipated result would have been to force the United States to use more of its antiaircraft capabilities—guns and fighter planes—for its own defense rather than for that of Great Britain, thereby allowing the Luftwaffe to attack the latter country with less resistance.[citation needed]

Partly as a liaison with the Wehrmacht Heer, in May 1942 Generalfeldmarschall Erhard Milch requested the opinion of Generalmajor Eccard Freiherr von Gablenz on the new proposal,[5] with regard to the aircraft available to fill the needs of an Amerikabomber, which had then included the Me 264, Fw 300 and the Ju 290. von Gablenz gave his opinion on the Me 264, as it was in the second half of 1942, before von Gablenz's own commitments in the Battle of Stalingrad occurred: the Me 264 could not be usefully equipped for a true trans-Atlantic bomber mission from Europe, but it would be useful for a number of very long-range maritime patrol duties in co-operation with the Kriegsmarine's U-boats off the US East Coast.

Amerikabomber - Wikipedia

U-boats with V1´s seemed to me more available.

Bloody foreigners.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

My post was a synopsis of the ending of the first Captain Amerika movie.

3. R Leonard

R Leonard Member

Really, the Azores? Really? And just how were the super-dooper-supermen planning on establishing a presence in the Azores sufficient for the mission?

One might suppose that the German Foreign Ministry was unaware of the oldest mutual defense treaty between two European powers, Great Britain and Portugal, the
    Windsor Treaty of Eternal Alliance dating back to around 1373 and, oddly, still in force today. Any, however feeble, attempt to seize the islands by the Germans would have given Great Britain the excuse and opportunity to begin their own seizure.

Uh huh, right, sure, easy. And despite of the facts the Germans did not have a navy that could do it, nor the sealift capability to move the wherewithal, you know, equipment, supplies, servicing personnel, defense troops, what-not, and the RN and USN might have something to say about it. Are some just expecting these behemoths to just appear overhead, land and the pilot leans out the window and says "fill it up with high test, check the oil and wipe the windows, please." Nonsense. All that would presume that the RAF, which already starting using the airfields in the Azores in October 1943 (see above treaty reference, diplomacy won out), followed shortly there after by the Americans, would be so accommodating. Note that the Allies did have the capability to move whatever they needed or wanted to such places, unlike the supermen.

The noted ". . . military historian James P. Duffy" seems to make the classic error of not considering either the RAF presence or baring that, as I suspect he never checked, the simple logistics problems for his pipe dream. It would also seem the esteemed military historian never heard the words "aircraft carrier". And completely superfluous to the his apparent minor problem of establishing a base in the Azores (this another of those military genius "snap of the fingers to make it so" fantasies) those who would profess the outstanding potential for such projects have never looked at the proliferation of radar stations and air defense squadrons on the east coast of the US (obviously, some in the USAAF and, yes, the USN, had some regard for enemy capabilities, however outlandish). Great circle from the Azores to the New York City vicinity is about 2245 miles, one way, Mostly over ocean, but as the route approaches land it crosses directly over one of the highest concentration of air defense installations. And, please, don't anyone suggest it could be done at night as the USN had some five or six night fighter squadrons right along the pathway. While, true, these were squadrons in working up training, but what were they training to do? Night interceptions, of course, over the ocean, over land, it was what they did. Just a very realistic training evening. It is terrible when the reality of all the things that could go wrong can and do heavily intrude. Don't be fooled by Wiki breathless excitement of it all nonsense.

Kai-Petri likes this.
  4. Takao

Takao Ace

You silly goose, we all know a tesseract is only use for brewing beer.

OpanaPointer likes this.
  5. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

That's why Oktoberfest is so much fun.

George Patton likes this.