Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

german pow's paraded throught the streets of moscow.

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe February 1943 to End of War' started by sniper1946, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

With a little respect; Ever hear of Bataan?

2. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello Spaniard,

What do you mean by; large number of Russians,... fighting Canadians..?

AFAIK the 272 Div fielded some 14,000 men, out of which about 1,400 man were composed of Russian auxiliaries or Hiwis. Far more then 50% of these Hiwis were IIRC not serving in combat units but feeding horses, fixing boots and uniforms or employed in the field kitchen..etc.

Regards
    Kruska

3. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello Biak,

I am not trying to downplay the missery and horrible conditions which allied PoW's faced in Japanese camps. However the figure of these allied prisoners (please feel free to correct me) is almost neglegible compared to the numbers of German or Russian PoW's involved on either sides.

Regards
    Kruska

4. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Hi I said many, Not Large numbers.LOL I read on 3 occasions they were used as front line soldiers in combat roles. And I read that many Russians after spending time in German Pow Camps chose to fight for the Germans. Maybe some were used as auxiliary which I read that also. I also read the Germans used them as the first line defence or attacks in many German infantry unites not just the 272 and sacrifice them instead of German Soldiers.

Look Sir I read so many things About WW II Later to fined out It was not True or inaccurate accounts one Historian tells it one way and an other will have a complete different version.

The Fact is I read many times Germans used Russian Prisoners in fighting and other rollers. As for the exact number I can't tell a lie, I have no clue.:D

That I cut and pasted from a Canadian article on the Battle of Verrières Ridge.

5. Kruska

Kruska Member

Hello Spaniard,

no worries :), I just replied on that post of your's since I noticed other posts that "highlight" Russians fighting in Normandy.

That some Russians were indeed armed and probably;), even fired a shoot, well I would not dispute this. I just feel that their role as such on the Westfront (maybe due to Save Privat Ryan) is exaggerated.

That larger numbers of fully incoorporated and armed Russians within Wehrmacht units fought on the eastern front is for sure. The vast majority however was used in hiwi function, anti partisan or occupational tasks.

Regards
    Kruska

6. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

Not a problem Sir!
    I read that also.

Your not the only one.

No Worries It made me think.:D

7. Fury 1991

Fury 1991 New Member

These remarks you made about me and others who served in Desert Storm are not appreciated. Did you know we destroyed more equipment in a week than what our grandfathers did in four years of WW2?

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Back to the original topic.

A detail that has some importance about the Moscow parade. The Germans had been taken to the city by train wthout, any food for several days, and just before the parade were given cabbage with the results you can imagine. This of course was perfectly orchestrated and the cleaning of the streets was not just symbolic.

9. Fury 1991

Fury 1991 New Member

I read somewhere it was a stew with a laxative. Either way disgusting.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Yes , if I remember correctly, I saw this on TV, on a German documentary channel last year

11. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

It was without doubt intentional, but then again perhaps just the natural effects of cabbage on an "empty gut".

What are the top 5 natural laxatives?
    1. Aloe Vera
    2. Flax seed
    3. Cabbage (bold mine)
    4. Beets
    5. Horseradish

(3) Cabbage leaves are natural laxatives as well. It is recommended to eat fresh, cooked in soups, or stir fried cabbage.

See:

Constipated Again? The Top 5 Natural Laxatives

12. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

TRY eating Mc Dddddddddddssssss :D a great Laxative.

13. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Anybody who eats there gets what they deserve! Of course the "price is right", but you get what you pay for remains true.

14. RD3

RD3 Member

There were 19 or 21 generals who had to participate in the parade? Has anybode a list of these generals?
    Thanks