Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Germans heavy recon tanks valued or a waste of resources

Discussion in 'German Military vehicles used during WWII' started by Prospero Quevedo, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

The series of panzer II heavy reconisance tanks seems like a waste to me a light tank with more armor than most mediums. Had to restructure the running gear to take super wide tracks because it weighed so much. Like if it needed such heavy armor their probably under heavy fire and like the 20 mm pop gun they have is going to help fight their way out. Should have just used a III or a IV. At least they could fight back. They were stubby looking don't think I can take the running gear from any tank kits to simulate it but maybe my 7 ton half track. Might be fun to make one or two make that enlarged turret with the 50 mm gun. If I was going to build something like that I'd give it some real fire power. But to waste time and resources for a short run 30 tank batch seems stupid just modify a massed production vehicle. I'd start with a IV then maybe the III smaller should be cheaper maybe do an open top turret with a kwk40. With III Ns as support. It just seems if you have to take an outdated design and just about completely redesign it it is a waste of manpower and resources they should have used a more massed produce

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Some four years ago they sold awful wrecks in Finland of Stugs. However, someone from the US was willing to offer 400,000 dollars for reach Stug.

George Patton likes this.
  3. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

Read some guy bought a tiger from a village in Italy. For a million then payed over a million to have it restored. I wonder what German tanks are all over Russia they find old Soviet tanks all the time and recently a m4a2 in a marsh the army sent a recovery crew and equipment to help the locals pull it out and moved somewhere for restoration. Wonder what happened to all the tanks surrendered in Norway. There was a bunch one pics showed dozens of three Ns and Ms or Ls.