Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Grandfather's service - Third Army, 5th Infantry Division

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by PeterY, Jan 15, 2014.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm glad you're making some headway.

According to this site, the 109th Evac Hospital was in England in June of 1944, then moved to France in July 1944. http://www.med-dept.com/etoHosp.php

2. Earthican

Earthican Member

Probably VOCO - Verbal Orders of the Commanding Officer

If this was the only time he had off the line, he has a long war ahead of him.

3. we will ww2

we will ww2 New Member

My father was a MP with the 5th division. He is not with me now but researched the 5th for about a year.Some of my sources that really helped me was Keith B, Short historian for the society of the 5th infantry division it has its own web site.All experts web site Richard V,Horrell Military historian . Yves J , Bellanger web creator of US Army Divisions ww2. hope this will help . By the way the military police platoon of the 5th and the 10 inf reg came home together on the troopship sea porpoise on Wed 18th 1945 at piermount New York. Good luck on your quest

4. Big_Al

Big_Al Member

PeterY, I was a member of the 5th Infantry Division in the Vietnam War. I am also a member of the Society of the Fifth Division. The website is http://www.societyofthefifthdivision.com/
    Keith Short is no longer our National historian, however you can reach the current historian through the society website.
    On the left margin of the site you will also see a contact for our Newsletter Editor. You can email Alex with a request for information, or men that served in the 10th Regiment, and he will post it in the newsletter. Requests like yours are published all the time. But don't wait too long, the WWII ranks are getting thinner every day.
    Also on the site is a contact for our Quartermaster (click on Catalog). He may still have some copies of the book The Fifth Infantry Division In The ETO, originally printed in 1945. At one time we had some re-prints, I got one at a reunion a number of years ago. They are shown as still available on the site. I treasure my copy, if you get one you will not be dissapointed.

At the bottom of the wepage is a tab you can click for a brief history of the 5th in WWII.

Of all the books written on WWII, not many at all deal strictly with the Red Diamonds. In fact, the 5th is regularly overlooked by historians even though it was one of the Divisions Patton depended on the most, and elements of which were actually in the ETO before Pearl Harbor.
    Two books I have found are - A Footsoldier For Patton, The Story Of A Red Diamond Infantryman, by Michael C. Bilder with James G. Bilder, 2008, Casemate. Mike Bilder was in the 2nd Infantry Regiment but includes the 10th and 11th in the narrative.
    The other book I just got from Amazon and am still reading is Before Memories Fade, by Melvin H. Dick, 2011, New Forums Press. It is the story of his Uncle who was in Company C, 1st Battalion, 10th Infantry Regiment.

Good luck in your search, my friend. If I can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. And we welcome Associate Members in our Society, an application can be found on our website, cost is only $15 per year. Come and join us.

6footHick likes this.
  5. PeterY

PeterY New Member

Thanks Everyone. I have been in touch with Keith Short for some time. He has been unbelievably helpful in my search for information.

Big_Al - Thanks for your message. I do have my grandfather's original "The Fifth Infantry Division in the ETO" book. I've also read Mr. Bilder's book, which was very good. Another short but good ready is Nancy Rial's "Alan's Letters". I've been in touch with Nancy and she is a wonderful lady and very knowledgeable. I have not read "Before Memories Fade". This sounds very interesting and have it on order now. Sounds like the author has spoken with veterans from Company C. I would definitely like to get in touch with the author!

I'm trying to now piece together where my grandfather was prior to being sent to Iceland. Below is a photo from what I believe is basic training. Anyone have thoughts on where this could have been taken?

[​IMG]

6. Earthican

Earthican Member

Re: Photo

Your grandfather volunteered Nov 1940

The Replacement Training Centers did not open until March 1941, so it is likely he went straight to the 10th Infantry which were:

June 1940 - Ft Thomas, KY
    Dec 1940 - Ft Custer, MI
    Sept 1941 - Cp Kilmer, NJ
    Sept 1941 - Iceland

Likely Ft Custer, but I would not rule out Ft Hayes, OH -- his Reception Center -- or Camp Kilmer.

7. Newman2014

Newman2014 New Member

I am trying to find out which of the 3 Infantry Regiments my father served in , 2nd. 10th. or the 11th.
    He was in the 5th. Q.M. Battalion of the. 5th. Infantry Division.
    He arrived in Iceland in April 1942.
    He was trained in mines and booby traps , and took part in the landings on D -DAY 6 June 44.

He told me that he worked clearing mines and putting sections of Bangalore torpedoes together and slid the extensions foreword with explosives to blast openings through the heavy barbed wire to enable the troops to move foreword on the beach.

Any information or help would be appreciated.

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

The 5th QM Company would have been part of the Division's Special Troops and so would not have been part of a regiment. The following is from The USAF in Northern Ireland Order of Battle:

9. Susankh

Susankh New Member

I know two men from the Tenth Infantry Regiment of the Fifth Division. One was with the First Battalion HQ and the other was a C Company unit Commander. I would be happy to help with your research.

Susankh

10. russellhaughey@cox.net

russellhaughey@cox.net New Member

My father was made the CO of the 1st Battalion of the 10th infantry Regiment the afternoon before the Battalion was to lead the assault. Company A lost it's commander, Captain Vick, and some key noncoms on the eastern floodplain of the bridgehead. Company A was at that moment very disorganized. Eventually my Father's S-2 took the remains of A company and went up Hill 396 with marching fire and fixed bayonets and eventually with others, took the hill. The Moselle River crossing was the worst fighting of the war for the 10th infantry regiment. My father earned the Distinguished Service Cross for his role in the crossing. Too many very brave men were killed or wounded in the Moselle crossings.

JoScott10s, TD-Tommy776 and Slipdigit like this.
  11. JoScott10s

JoScott10s New Member

Do you know anything about company F or have any books with pictures?