Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Groningen 1945 Dutch TV feature.

Discussion in 'History of Holland and Belgium during World War I' started by MichaelBully, Jun 20, 2017.

1. MichaelBully

MichaelBully Active Member

Dutch TV history series 'Andere Tijden' had programme feature on Canadian soldiers from Cape Breton Highlanders involved in the freeing of Groningen and Delfzij at the end of April 1945.

Afleveringen - Andere Tijden 'De Slag Om Groningen' 29th April 2017
    The programme featured interviews with three veterans in English with Dutch subtitles.

Dutch language introduction

Aflevering - De slag om Groningen - Andere Tijden

Fascinating programme. The interviews with the Canadian veterans was very moving. Also learnt a great deal- no idea that the Germans fought so bitterly in this region even when it so clear that they were on the point of losing.

2. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Thanks for sharing!

The battle for Groningen was indeed a fiercely fought battle. It's also great to see my good friend and Groningen resident, Joel Stoppels featuring in the video. He is an expert on the history of the battle that raged in his home town.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Sheldrake and MichaelBully like this.
  3. MichaelBully

MichaelBully Active Member

Indeed John, next time I am in The Netherlands , would be very tempted to take one of Joel Stoppels' tours. There are details in both English and Dutch about them via a quick websearch on his name.
    In more general terms,, it is important to remember that parts of the The Netherlands remained under German occupation until the very end of war. Found that the documentary on Groningen very helpful.
    Regards