Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Group Build #2 Member's Vote - come and vote now!

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by PanzerProfile, Apr 1, 2007.

?

Which model do you think is best?

1. Boba Nette's SU-85 (1:35)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. SturmTiger's M- 36 (1:35)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. JCalhoun's M-10 (1:48)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ricky's SU- 85 (1:72)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. PanzerProfile's ISU-152 (1:72)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Touché ST, beautifully said.

It's so nice to see that you all enjoyed the GB so much. Thanks boba nette for your lovely post. Your work and patience certainly shows off. I saw in the poll today that you actually gained a vote. too bad it came too late!

JCalhoun, I'm working on the certificate for you as winner! But the site of Christian only describes German tanks so I'm having a little trouble finding a short but complete story on the winning tank model. Will work it out soon though!

2. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    PP;
    Thanks. There is no hurry. Please take your time.

All;
    I can't seem to make up my mind as to what to do next. It will probably be either captured tanks (with restrictions), halftracks, or Japanese tanks. Any other ideas? If we do the next build around June, we could have Normandy tanks.

3. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    What would the restrictions be on captured tanks?

4. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    JCalhoun - happy with any of those, apart from the obvious point that Japanese tanks are harder to get hold of. But then the Internet is a wonderful shop! :)

5. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Not that I want to vote for any of your ideas, cause they really all seem nice, but a themed GB sounds like a cool plan to me. Like your normandy suggestion.
    but feel free to pick anything you like. I'm also interested in the restrictions on Captured tanks though. ( I almost typed beutepanzer instead of captured tanks. Hint to what my entry would be... ;) )

6. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    My idea of the restricted captured armor build would be that the builder would have to provide either a picture or a verifiable information source of the actual tank that was captured. Simply putting stars on a Panther wouldn't be legal. A historical picture or source of info would be required to prove that a real version of that model existed.

The Normandy build would probably easier for everyone as there would be a lot of choices of AFVs. You can do either Allied or German and there is plenty of info on that campaign. I would like to limit that built to kits that are of actual vehicales that were used in the Normandy Campaign. Also, it should be limited to June/July, 1944 and not part of the post Normandy actions.

7. -DMPN- Founderer

-DMPN- Founderer New Member

via TanksinWW2
    i think the normandy theme is a great one and think it would be really cool if the due date could be June 6. thats my 2 cents

8. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Seeing as we just finished a GB,June sixth most likely would be a starting date.That would give us time to do a little research.I really like the idea of a Normandy build starting on June sixth.Maybe it should be called The Overlord build?
    Also,if JC decides on a 'captured' build,some allowances should be made as far as after market parts/decals.For example,jerry cans,helmets and smallarms would make a captured T-34 a bit more convincing instead of just painting a few crosses on it.
    Just a few ideas.

9. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    At the moment I'm leaning towards an "Overlord" build. We can get started now and finish on D-Day or we can start on the 1st of May and end on the 31st of July.

If we go captured, I would allow aftermarket stuff since most anything that needed to make it look captured would have to added from outside the box.

One the reasons I like "Overlord" is that we can choose from tanks, TDs, half-tracks and carriers. Should we limit it to a specific category or just let this one be all inclusive?

One thing though on both ideas. These will have to be new builds, not models you already have submitted.

10. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If we go with 'Overlord',I like the idea of all inclusive.Any vehicle wheeled or tracked or both.A start date of May 1st would give me and Boba a little time to research our vehicles.This might be a bit soon for some.
    If we go with 'Captured',it might be a bit difficult to copy an actual photo.There are plenty of pictures,but they often don't go into detail concerning the area where the vehicle was captured or give details about the camo/markings colors.I think it would be fun to let your imagination run wild a bit as long as the vehicle in question could have been historically accurate.
    I also agree,only a new build can be submitted.

11. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Someone else is a day late and a dollar (or Euro if you please) short.Boba and JC are tied again.

12. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Sweet! :D

13. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ya settle on a subject for the build JC?I'm itching to know.

14. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Since nobody else has come up with anything better, how's this?

Let's do "Overlord", covering AFV's that were used by both Axis and Allies in the Normandy campaign from 6 June 1944 to 31 July 1944. It can be any kind of armored fighting vehicle that was used there but not an AFV from a different part like an Afrika Korps Tiger for instance. You should submit a brief vehicle and (if possible) unit history when you make your submission (this will help a lot when the judging is made).

Non-kit parts will be allowed so you can custom tailor the AFV kit to the operation.

When entering a model, please include the manufacturer, vehicle name/identification and scale. Any and all scales are allowed.

Contest ends on the 30th of June. We can start this week and have 2 1/2 months to do research and build the kit.

Should we allow more than one model per person?

Any other suggestions?

15. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If people have enough time to do more than one model I don't see why not, perhaps extra credit for a duelling pair?

16. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I'd like to give this a shot.My only real concern is that it might become a bit too technical for some members.First and foremost,the GB's are meant to be fun.A specific vehicle is only being historically accurate.It might be a bit difficult finding markings/decals for specific units.

17. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    The specfic unit part is not required but would be a plus if you have it. The main thing is to limit folks from entering things like Lee/Grants, USMC Shermans, DAK vehicles, late war tanks, etc.

The vehicle bio/tech sheet is a little more important. It would be something like: M4A2 Sherman built in these years by these companies. It carried these weapons and was used in these theaters. It had this engine and could go this fast.

18. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hi guys!

You've been giving this GB III a lot of thinking together. I really like to see that! But being part of the judging team, I do have some remarks here... I hope you find these reasonable.

First of all: Wonderful idea of the Normany Build! GB Overlord sounds really smashing to me, I'm really ok with that.
    But then ofcourse, also some other things:
    1. Starting round about May first sounds pretty reasonable to me. This will give us some time to do research on the vehicles and period in time at hand. Good one!

2. I really have my doubts about allowing more than 1 build for this one. Despite the fact that Sturmtiger remarked, that it would be very nice if one has the time and we could add some extra points for matching pairs, I do think allowing more than one build would make the competition somewhat unfair. That's because I believe that not everyone has the time for 2 builds, especially with the specs it has to come with. Next to that, the question is- how are we going to judge/compare several builds..?
    A more personal note is that I think it's beyond the concept of groupbuilding when building more than 1 build per game. But this is ofcourse to be discussed.

3. I think any vehicle in this period and time makes it an exciting event. I do see problems with judging though. How are we going to compare a tow truck or halftrack to a TD?

4. Allowing non-kit parts remains a pain. I think that for equal chance we should not allow it, on the other hand I think it would be nice being able to customize your model to the situation at and. We really need to exchange ideas on this point, I think.

These points are not meant to criticize your idea too much! Please understand that these are merely organizational problems I'm trying to tackle. I would be very pleased with your thoughts on these. These are simply my thoughts when reading through your posts, so please don't feel offended!
    While writing these points I already thought of some solutions. But I'd like to hear yours and wanted to show you a bit about the trouble with judging and having a fair competiton for all of us.
    I'm sure we can work it out! And last but certainly not least, I'd love to be a contestor in GB III after hearing these plans!

19. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    PP;
    I mentioned that we would do armored fighting vehicles only. No trucks, jeeps. etc. Halftracks are only allowed if they have a weapon platform mounted. We can rule out the halftracks if you prefer.

We can do "from the box" kits. I'm good with that but it could restrict some as to the kits they can use. However, I'm certain that Normandy kits can be found on the internet if not locally.

20. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    We have a good GB system so far.If it ain't broke,don't fix it.Let's just keep it simple.
    One entry per member.
    Any scale.
    I don't think aftermarket parts are as essential for this build.However,a Duplex Drive kit,Cullin device or a Crab/Flail tank kit...etc, absolutely should be allowed for obvious reasons.
    As for deciding a winning entry,I think we should go with a simple popular vote by the members.The admin team should simply make sure each entry is 'legal'.For example:If someone were to enter an M26 Pershing,the admin team would notify the members that this vehicle didn't exist at that point in the war and is not eligible for competition.