Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Gunboats and Monitors

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by JCFalkenbergIII, Jul 12, 2008.

1. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

I like the look of it :). Ill have to see if someone makes a 1/600th wargaming model of it.

2. razin

razin Member

I thought the CMB section and some British Subs were based at Kronstadt form 1915 until the Revolution in 1917. The G5 seems to be almost a copy in many ways even the keel planform looks similar.

Steve

3. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

As you can see, the Soviet boat continues to lack torpedo tubes, just like the CMB. Perhaps the biggest difference is in the hull construction--I believe the CMB was originally elm, while the Soviets used metal. The metal hull proved a major problem, subject to rapid corrosion.

4. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Were those depth charges aft of the cabin? And it looks like they rolled down the back?

5. Sentinel

Sentinel Member

You'd need a magnifying glass to see it! :D

6. razin

razin Member

Yes tiny in 1/600 scale approx 20metres so about 30mm long -but some-one has done one in 1/700!

7. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

No. If you tried to roll depth charges from there, they'd plunk down into the torpedo troughs, which would be poor for morale.

8. razin

razin Member

If it is a depth charge launcher it is probably a launcher type with two reloads beneath.

9. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

Those are not depth charges. See the drawing on the linked page.

10. razin

razin Member

for those interested there is a 1/72nd scale kit of a G5 available for about $50 and some interesting books at Russian Navy History Books OTH-129 The Ships and Boats of the USSR Navy, The Period of 1939 - 1945 on www.Aviapress.com. Model kits, Military Books and Magazines - the choice of the whole internet.

I already have looked at the link, what do you think they are? the only other thing I think they might be are fuel tanks and that would be very unwise, these vessels were gasoline powered. On PT boats with projector tubes they could be compressed air vessels but as the G5 gavity launches over the stern, I tend to discount this. The Amarda book seems to show heavy BMB charges aft of the wheel house in line with the torpedo wells that could be rolled over the torpedo wells (one over each well) there is no reason why this is not feasable as the nature of the thing is it only goes bang when the hydrostatic switch operates at depth, the main danger to the crew is injury to limbs while rolling.

Projectors BMB1 was used on Soviet Patrol craft early in WW2 whether this is the type shown in the drawing-I don't know
    View attachment 5551
    light weight depth charge
    View attachment 5552
    There is also a heavy weight depth charge and several earlier types.

The problem with the drawings on this thread and link is they have already been interpted by the draughtman and I am the first to admit I am interperating the drawing.

Steve

Attached Files:

11. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Not really. I have quite a few Coastal craft in 1/600th scale including PT boats,MGBs,MTBs and other craft and I can see them just fine :).

12. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Thanks Tiornu. I wasn't sure what they were. :)

13. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

I can only guess. I don't know how the torpedoes were released or loaded, but I'd guess thay have something to do with that. Various series of G-5's had cylinders in different places, and the Series 11 had them wedged between two gun positions. Whatever they are, I think we'll all agree we hope they aren't fuel.

14. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

[​IMG]

Caption reads : Russian Danube River Patrol Boat.
    This is one of Russia's Danube River patrol boats, which today are undoubtedly meeting similar German patrol boats in the struggle for control of the Danube. Britain is ready to give all possible help to Russia in the Soviet war against Germany, reliable British sources reported today

15. razin

razin Member

I spent the evening going though the web, the low level cylinders on the Amarda drawing are in other drawings shown to be some form of air system or condessor unit, with various tubes connecting through the deck. so as you say it seems to be to propel the torpedo rearward.

In the Joe Hind drawings as I can't see any advantage in placing the second set of cylinders high up and I think it looks like a BMB1 launcher cradle- which if it did exist would be a very early boat as BMB1 were discontinued early in the war. Some boats have a gun mount in this area, the Soviets managed to destroy about 7 or 9 Submarines during WW2 so Depth charges were not a priority. The Amarda book evidently has scale drawings in 1/72scale.

anyway thanks for the reply

Strve

16. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

I shudder to think what a BMB-1 launch would do the hull of a G-5.

17. razin

razin Member

Fair point.
    I have given the unit further thought and it could possibly be something to do with the exhaust system or a smoke generator. until we get a proper photo it a guessing game.

18. Tiornu

Tiornu Member

Smoke--I hadn't thought of that. You're right, it's all guesswork at this point.

19. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

Looking again that would make sense :).

20. JCFalkenbergIII

JCFalkenbergIII Expert

[​IMG]

PT 579
    These boats also took on a gunboat configuration, rather then their traditional torpedo role.