Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Hatten and Rittershoffen January 1945 Pictures and more infomation?

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by JGarman, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

Hi Katy,
    Unfortunately your article is too small to be readable.
    I found this about your great uncle :

upload_2017-11-13_8-43-52.png

Just want to say thank you for his service and his sacrifice. He gave us back our freedom.

Eric

2. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

Hi Katy,

Attached, the Valor awards about your great uncle, in pdf.

Your great uncle was killed on the first day of the German attack on the village of Hatten. The American troops were alerted on January 9, 1945 at 4am and hell broke out at 5am. The Germans attacked east of the village, where my mother lived. His house was the third at the entrance of the village.

Attached, 4 photos taken in Hatten on November 1st, this year. A calvary bearing the marks of bullets. It is located at the eastern entrance to Hatten. A photo of the grave in honor of civilians who died in the battle of January 1945 and a photo listing the names and ages of the victims.

Eric 20171101_145929.jpg 20171101_150101.jpg 20171101_152229.jpg 20171101_152238.jpg

Eric

Attached Files:

TD-Tommy776, rprice and Natman like this.
  3. Trish

Trish New Member

You look at these soldiers walking to their destination, it makes you wonder if one of those men, young men could be your relative and if they were to cold and nervous or scared about the battle ahead. Such brave soldiers

4. rwattsp

rwattsp New Member

I may have miss quoted my Dad. I'm sure he was overjoyed to just be found. He may have just said ,a black soldier.There were two other things my said about the war that sickened him . One was the Germans leaving old and young behind to be killed or wounded and the number of his fellow soldiers turning and running. He said the war would have been over much sooner if they would have stood and fought. I'm sorry if I erred. I was 15 years old when I heard and now 80 so don't be to hard on me. I do know that due to the battle of the Bulge and the need for more soldiers, blacks were moved from support gropes to infantry.

Alsa.se likes this.