Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

HEADS UP ERROL FLYNN FANS AND FANS OF CLASSIC MOVIES :-D

Discussion in 'Free Fire Zone' started by C.Evans, Jul 10, 2010.

1. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

thanks carl, I wonder why the jousting scene was omitted? shame! as it looked interesting, and I wonder who's head errol knocked off in the scene..lol.:D some basil pics..from great films, too..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Quite welcome ;-)) And these are some great basil pics. The Guy with the bow and arrow was the one who did the stunt where ""Robin Hood"" split the arrow with his arrow. Ive seen some newsreel footage of this guy making some amazing shots with his bow and arrows.

Great shot of Basil w/ Mellville Cooper.

3. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Errol and Olivia casual..

[​IMG]

4. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Dawn Patrol and then Objective Burma ;-)) The de Havilland pic isnt showing-grrr ;-))

5. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi RAy, the comp locked up on me so ill have to try to see these tomorrow using the library comp.

7. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

[​IMG]basil and boris.

[​IMG]

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Heh heh, good ol Karloff. I just bought a copy of him in: Wolfman--about 2 weeks agoi. Still aint seen it yet but looking forward to doing so.

9. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

boris, another actor who never did better than "b" movies..a bit like lon chaney..suited to certain roles..

[​IMG] a young errol in 1923..in london

[​IMG] with bardot..

[​IMG]

[​IMG] with gloria blondell..

[​IMG]

10. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Lon Chaney and Lon Chaney Jr, were perfect for the roles they played. Jr for instance, could go beyone what his Dad did and was great as the consumate Badguy in Westerns. One I thought he couldnt hav ebeen bnested in is a great Gary Cooper movie called: Springfield Rifle. I have one still from it which ill eventually get you war. Doesnt show Cheney but shows Coop getting Court-martialed.

11. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Just a reminder, today is ERROL FLYNN day @ TCM. Just watched San Antone this morning before coming here and Uncertain Glory (one of the newest Flynn releases) is on right now.

12. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

14. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Those Chard of the Light Brigade pics are absolutely great ones!! Ive tried finding stills from that movie but no luck yet.

The one with Gwinn "Big Boy" Williams, Alan Hale Sr and he himself-great shot of all three.

15. Stitchy

Stitchy Member

I don't think the second one is from a movie set; it looks like Errol on one his yachts, either the Scirocco or the Zaca.

16. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi S/ that sounds about right. Ive seen a few pics of Scirocco. Wasnt the Zaca his first Yacht?

17. Stitchy

Stitchy Member

Other way around; he actually had two Scirocco's, but the Zaca was his last, true love. The Zaca was a 118' foot sloop that Errol lived on after he lost Mulholland Ranch to his first wife, Lili Damita; it has actually been restored recently, and spends most of it's time in the Med. This is a good website for Errol info.

C.Evans likes this.
  18. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi Stitchy, and not only thanks for the info but the site. Ill have to try accessing it using a library computer as mine froze up when I attempted it ;-) I had always thout that the Scirocco, was the one he used when he did a major amount of cruising before he went to Hollywood?

19. Stitchy

Stitchy Member

You may be right about that; I know Errol had always been attracted to the sea, long before he landed in Hollywood; I'm pretty sure he did time on a merchant marine ship back in Tasmania before he did Mutiny On The Bounty. Also, the second Scirocco is where Peggy Satterlee was supposedly "raped" by Errol back in '43 (he was acquitted; IMHO, it was all a publicity stunt).

20. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi S/ I was watching a TCM marathon of Flynn a few years ago and Robert Osbourne had mentioned that Flynn was partners with some guy in a Tobacco Plantation-I dont remember where it was? but for a year or so-he had his hands in that business as well as he had written at least two books, one was called: Beams End. After these was when he ventured to Hollywood.

I never believed the rape charges either-too many holes in the stories I heard and the gal that was supposedly raped-was no angel herself from what I heard and have read. The 1943 trial also had a positive effect on his movies and I think that was when Edge of Darkness was released? and it made huge profits.